If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Conservatives Hating Earth Day

edited 2011-04-22 17:19:12 in General
When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
Seriously, WTF, mates? 

Do they not understand that the Earth is in possession of a finite amount of resources and just love anything that gives them the slightest more convenience and/or luxury?

Or do they just like fucking with liberals? 

Comments

• No rainbow star
    My dad stated that the issue he has is that everyone during that time uses candles to see if it is dark, so if clean energy is being used, it actually does more harm

Mind you, thinking about it, we live in Alberta, so O.o?
  • I think this is something similar to hype backlash?

In any case, it's possible to think of a certain goal or idea as good, but be bothered by the celebration of it or people you think are taking it too far.

I guess it's the same reason liberals sometimes chafe a bit when they see or hear "Support our troops!" It's hopefully in most cases not that they dislike the troops or disagree that they should be supported, it's just that they have an objection to the culture and political opinions that the phrase has come to be associated with.

Or am I wrong here?
  • No rainbow star
    ^ I think that may be the biggest issue, actually
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Probably. I think it has less to do with "environmentalism sucks" and more with "liberals suck". 
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > Or do they just like fucking with liberals?

This.  It's basically just applied trolling.

> I think this is something similar to hype backlash?

Hype backlash is a very frequent cause of trolling, yes.

> I guess it's the same reason liberals sometimes chafe a bit when they see or hear "Support our troops!"

Hey, I like that phrase!
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    Support our troops, bring them home.
  • I did say sometimes.
  • What I dislike about the phrase is that it appears on the yellow ribbons which do roughly nothing to actually support troops.
  • edited 2011-04-22 23:16:05
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    I agree with the message of Earth day, but there is something in the way that it is broadcast to people that many can find it offensive somehow. In fact, Earth Day somehow makes me want to *not* be green at all. It rubs me the wrong way in the worst way.

I haven't the foggiest why. I like the idea, the reason, the purpose; yet somehow it just ticks me off. I can't put my finger on why. I feel like I would use one light bulb over another exactly because it is MORE inefficient.

Merciful heavens, where does this feeling come from?!
    Which just goes to show the suckiness of messaging on the part of environmentalists.

Yeah, it's taking a while, but they're slowly realizing that guilt-tripping people into not doing things is a rather stupid framing method.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    That might be part of it. It's almost like those who aren't "green" yet are the stupid grumpy villains in a care bears move.

I take offense to that last one. It's belittling to an extent. "OK, here, look, instead being green, you can save money! Let's cut a deal that way!" sounds like the sort of bartering you would do with a ten year old. I think there's more to it though.
    The more to it part is that there are actively malicious forces organizing some of these detractors.
    ^^ Which reminds me of Captain Planet. 

^ Huh? 
    I wish they could have something along the lines of "Hey, could you help a brother out?" as a message instead.

Or even better, disconnecting it from political affiliation (which is probably a good chunk of the problem).
  • JHMJHM
    edited 2011-04-24 13:58:51
    Here, There, Everywhere
    ^^ He means people like the Koch brothers.
    Oh, those wonderful men. Charmers, they are. 
  • "Or even better, disconnecting it from political affiliation (which is probably a good chunk of the problem)."

Disconnecting any scientific issue from political affiliation would be nice, except politics keeps trying to interfere.

Politics is such meanie.
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere
    For some reason, I think that if I really wanted to know a conservative's opinion on Earth Day, I'd ask Rottweiler...
    DO EET
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere
    ^^ Just did. Now, I wait...
  • edited 2011-04-24 15:29:39
    Inside, too dark to read
    It's a tribal thing. I support the message that our lives are dependent on the integrity of the ecosystem, but actually going and celebrating Earth Day? I'd just keep thinking about how I wished I had a Super Soaker with shampoo in the water, to spray people with dirty blond dreadlocks.

I think I'm already doing the important things, by being a vegetarian, rarely driving, buying durable clothes and wearing wool instead of turning the thermostat up, and having few and efficient appliances.
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

That was one of the best responses to anything I've read this week.
    -claps- 

-okay not really but that was actually a great answer-
  • The main issue I have with Earth Day is that people behave for one day, then go back to their bad habits afterwards.
    > I think I'm already doing the important things, by being a vegetarian,
    rarely driving, buying durable clothes and wearing wool instead of
    turning the thermostat up, and having few and efficient appliances.

Rottweiler wins.
  • I do horrible things on Earth day to annoy hippies, but only because I feed on their suffering.  Then I set them on fire to increase their carbon foot print.
    Does that mean that they should bury you deep in the ground, to annoy you and to reduce your carbon footprint?
  • No, because I'm important, while they're hippies.