If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Gamers.

edited 2011-12-08 07:40:38 in Media
Not all gamers are bad people, no, but I am absolutely convinced that gaming fandom definitely has the highest ratio of insufferable pricks out of any fandom. Any time I say this publicly I get waves of comments along the lines of "you can say that about any group!" and "it's just that people in general are assholes!"

No. You're not getting it. It is EXTREMELY FUCKING OBVIOUS that every single problem you can imagine with fans of something is multiplied tenfold when it comes to video games. Gamers display a bigger sense of entitlement, are far more critical and are far more judgmental over differences in taste than music lovers, film critics, foodies, artists, you name it.

Why did it get so bad? Do games pump people up with so much adrenaline that they never calm the fuck down? Do they slowly erode everyone's perception of reality? Or are the same people most attracted to games just already confrontational, competitive people?

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Gamers are more vocal in the internet, that's all. 

Trust me, I've run in academic circles when it comes to film for at least one year now and I can tell you with confidence that you can see as much douchebaggery there as you can with gamers.
  • Glaives are better.
    I'm gonna agree with Juan on this one. One of my friends is a huge TV and movie buff, and she wouldn't speak to me for days after I told her that I though Angel was a better show than Buffy. I never get that from video game fans.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    The obnoxious fans of a medium are almost always the loudest.
    It's kinda why they're obnoxious, really.
  • Many of the groups I can agree with, but worse than music lovers? I'm suprised you'd think that given the backlash to some of the articles on Cracked you wrote.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    All I can say is, gamers don't usually hold public burnings of things that they don't like.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I am absolutely convinced that gaming fandom definitely has the highest ratio of insufferable pricks out of any fandom.

So long as religious intolerance exists this will be false.
  • Yeah, gamers are not a special case by any means.
  • edited 2011-12-08 13:54:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^^ Then again, the state of being an insufferable prick does not by itself indicate the intensity of one's being an insufferable prick, and things like ^^ can happen only when intensity is high enough.

That said, yes, people whose prickism stems from intolerance of one or more religions or sets of religion-like beliefs are far, far, far more hardcore than gamers who complain on the internet or disco-haters who blow up records.

By "far, far, far more hardcore" I mean murder, rape, slavery, genocide, terrorism, larceny, and vandalism.
  • Scythemantis,
    Or are the same people most attracted to games just already confrontational, competitive people?

Of the possible explanations that you mentioned, I think this one is the most likely. Since a number of video games have modes of gameplay specifically geared towards competing with other people and even the ones that do not have ways to compare your performance with other people's (i.e. clear percentage and time, high scores, achievements) I do not think it is too surprising that video game fandom may be especially prone to pointless arguments and hostility.

I am not sure that such behavior is particularly unique to video game fans though and I would add sports fandom to the other groups mentioned as possibly being worse about that kind of thing.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    are far more judgmental over differences in taste than music lovers

o u
  • I think that the issue is that gamers and related fandoms tend to argue over what the standards are as much as they argue about whether or not those standards are met (Sonic The Hedgehog is a textbook example of that). So while there may be similar levels of rudeness in regards to academics, at least there is a foundation for the standards. Though when you're arguing about the quality of music, you're often fighting over the nebulous notion of "sounding good", even when you apply music theory standards (particularly since those rules are made to be broken).

• edited 2011-12-08 20:52:13
    Nobody has provided a convincing argument yet that I'm incorrect about gamers being the biggest jerkfaces.

Their backlash against anyone who criticizes games is always laughably childish. I can completely see what Roger Ebert meant about them not being art (shame he was bullied into apologizing) and I can agree with 10% of Jack Thompson's views. Also, I've grown to just want gamers to get offended anyway. Only Freepers and Scientologists deserve more trolling than gamers.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    And judging by your attitude, nothing anybody says is going to convince you otherwise.
  • edited 2011-12-08 20:53:13
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ You didn't provide a convincing argument that they are.
  • edited 2011-12-08 20:55:38

"Nobody has provided a convincing argument yet that I'm incorrect about gamers being the biggest jerkfaces."

If the religious intolerance part didn't convince you the superlative was inaccurate.... This is a "global warming denial"-style argument.

I don't think religion counts as media fandom, though. Of course, that maybe because I think that's what Mantis meant. Because, let's face it, comparing Religion and Gaming just because they're fandoms seems a tad ridiculous, as "Philosophy and way of seeing the world" and "Hobby" are not exactly very similar.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Game abstraction as philosophy is an interesting consideration, though.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Also, American football.

I don't know where you're from, but the town I grew up in basically exists entirely to support a football team.
    no
    nononononononono
    we're not going there
    Probably for the best, actually. It's a subject I tend to get rather...irritated...about.
    I meant Alex's post. :p
    Ah. Whoops.
  • edited 2011-12-08 21:19:23

"I can completely see what Roger Ebert meant about them not being art (shame he was bullied into apologizing)"

I will concede that this is a point that concerns me about gamers. I often wonder why gamers care about that label so much, especially from someone not versed in video games by his own admission. Then again, I hold the "video games are not art" position myself.

Speaking in general, saying "[medium] [is/is not] art" as a blanket statement bothers me. I don't think either the positive or negative form can apply to any creative medium.
    I think video games have become as expressive and culturally relevant as art itself is. And most of the time, when you take the competitive element out (Which was the argument Ebert used) games can still stand up as narrative mediums.

so yes, art. And as a film fan (and ebert fan) his comments bothered me because they reeked of ignorance of the medium.

I'm not saying that gamers' persecution complex is not annoying, but I do think that in that instance, they were justfied in calling him out.
  • edited 2011-12-08 21:27:38

Out of curiosity, would you consider chess art?

Admittedly, part of the reason I tend to be wary of labelling video games "art" is because a lot of time, I tend to not consider "narrative" as part of the "game" and believe that the more emphasis that is placed on story, the more "game" becomes a misnomer. Gameplay mechanics are geared towards reaching a goal of some sort, which is not creative in itself. Though at that point, how much you consider creative thinking "art" tends to play a role.

• edited 2011-12-08 21:25:13
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    No. I might consider a specific game of chess art, though.
  • edited 2011-12-08 21:27:18
    You can change. You can.
    I wouldn't consider chess a medium, so.

And it doesn't allow room for expression except for maybe in the strategies. But unlike most games where you can customize your pieces/characters, your strategy is entirely reliant on your enemy's.
    ^^^Ah, missed your edit. I absolutely consider "game" a misnomer in this context the vast majority of the time.