If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Legend Of Zelda.

Comments

• Me too. I was gonna reply to Abyss_Worm with "Wisdom befitting a dragon with a mustache!"
  • Good luck cramming.
  • "I don't really have much else to say. I'm wasting time arguing when I could do something important like studying for the exam I have in 7 minutes."

And that has more to do with Legend of Zelda than talking about its combat?

• Dammit, no one pays attention when I post something thoughtful with a Spike avatar.

/stomps off to bed
  • Try with a mustached Spike. It helps.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    It's clear I can't have a different opinion. Why the fuck do I even stay on this forum.

I give up. This is ridiculous. The world does not revolve around you, and your opinions. Just like it doesn't revolve around anyone else. If you are going to post an opinion, on a forum dedicated to complaining, you should expect such a result as this. It doesn't take an astounding amount of foresight.

And stop with the "they're all out to get me!" mentality. You are not so important that we need to take time out of our day to intentionally annoy you. Do I make myself clear? The amount of paranoia there is idiotic, to say the least. Look at what you're posting, and THINK FOR ONCE about what you are implying in that post! It's not a difficult thing to do.

...Why did I even write this? You'll probably just use it as more "proof" that we all hate you and want you gone. It's pointless, I guess. Oh well, I don't care. I've already written this, so let it be done.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Back to Zelda then?
  • I just have one more thing to say:

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I love that video.
  • The Legend of Zelda is pretty good.

I didn't enjoy Ocarina of Time when I first played it, it was a real chore, and I couldn't see what was so revolutionary about it. But later, after learning about all the little details and secrets in the game's development, all the attention to detail that unobservant people would've missed, the way the environments were so well crafted and immersive throughout, rather than the budget being blown on any single level, it really is a masterful piece of work.

The first one is the only 2D entry I've played. It's waaay harder, and that's saying something. From the eyes of someone in the modern day it's not much, but it's really something that needs to be viewed for what it was and what it now is to be truly appreciated.

I don't mind if someone publishes criticism of the game, and I can even appreciate some of the criticism. OOT was repetitive. WW it wasn't clear where you had to go. TP had many really obvious filler tasks that slowed the game right down, etc.
    This bugs you?
  • edited 2011-04-28 12:04:58
    They're somethin' else.
    Chagen. Did I ever fucking say "your opinion is wrong"?

NO, I DIDN'T. I said your opinion is your opinion, mine is my own. All I wanted to hear is for you to explain yourself. I will consider your complaints valid if they go beyond the realm of "BWAAAAA I'M BEING OPPRESSED SO MANY GEEKS. SO. MANY. GREENCLAD GEEKS."

Will you explain your opinion further, or will you continue to embarrass youself?

Mod edit: THAT TOPIC WAS OVER ALREADY.  Sheesh!
  • They're somethin' else.
    I'm sorry, we're back on topic.

Um...

The only thing that bugs me about the recent entries in the series is the lack of difficulty (which in turn leads to lack of player immersion and involvement) and a large amount of filler tasks (like the bugs of light in Twilight Princess) Other than that, the series is still gold.
  • edited 2011-04-28 10:28:19
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Or you could eat an orange.

THE GOLDEN SCAPULAS

WHAT THE HELL WAS UP WITH THEM
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I don't even mind if Chagen doesn't back up his opinion.  He's free to hold it, and the rest of us are free to disagree.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I really like the soundtrack to OoT.

However none of the Zelda games have ever managed to draw me in, I've tried to enjoy them but I just found the games lacking in that something that catches my interest.
  • edited 2011-04-28 10:32:48
    They're somethin' else.
    Oh yeah, at first I HATED the Gold Skulltula side quest. But once I started playing the game with a better love for detail and playing it full blast on the audio, I appreciated it more and completed it without a guide.

BUT GODDAMN, 200 RUPIES FOR THE LAST SPIDER? SRSLY? FUCK YOU, SKULLTULA DAD!

@ IanExMachina: As far as story goes, might I suggest Link's Awakening? It also has a purdy soundtrack. I think.
    I'll give it a look over (especially of the mention of the soundtrack).

I'm not sure of you Zelda fans will like or loath this but:

The Ocarina of Rhyme OoT soundtrack songs mashed with rap/hip hop.

It sounds a lot better than my description.

I'll... look it up?
    ^
    I'll admit it's not to everyone's taste.
  • edited 2011-04-28 12:08:11
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I need a thump utility for this forum.

Chagen > LoZ is awful.
    I think it's okay.

Chagen > the dungeons always follow the same format of "get item, use it to beat the boss" to the point of being horribly stale
    Seems like your problem is with metroidvanias in general.  Or, for that matter, any long-established genre or series with a set of conventions.

Chagen > Every LoZ game that I've tried has bored me to death. Wind Waker was boring, Ocarina was worse, and I turned Majora's Mask off in about 5 minutes to play a vastly better game. The only thing this series has going for it is music, art direction, and the surpsingly deep characters and plot.
    Interestingly, I've never been that excited about the Zelda series.  I've been told many times to check out Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time, and I've even sat around and watched someone play Twilight Princess.

The only game in the series that I've played (to any significant extent) is Link to the Past.  It's a nice game.  However, for some reason I don't really feel a huge motivation to play more in the same series.  I don't know why.

Maybe it's because I don't like the mythos.  It is hard to understand for someone outside the series.
    Maybe it's because the better ones are all recent and I don't have those systems (so I can't play them in native format) and cannot emulate joystick controls properly on a keyboard (so I avoid them emulating them).
    Maybe it's because some of the dungeons do take a while and become somewhat tedious.

That said, I might be interested in playing Twilight Princess, left-hand version.

Chagen > And yet, nearly every gamer in the world sucks its dick. What the fuck?

I wouldn't put it that far, though it is a pretty popular series.  And I am not particularly interested in it anyway.

Abyss_Worm > That's it. You're getting Back to the Future NES for Christmas.

No, give him Monster Party.  Or Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu.

Chagen > I hate this series. I gave it a try and I hated it.

That sounds like my experience with...like every fighting game ever.  Okay, I haven't actually tried many of them, and I don't quite hate them, but I am not a fan of them.

I've also tried playing Starcraft.  Heh, that didn't get much of anywhere.

Cygan > Ever heard of 'subjective'?

Yes, and I see no problem with Chagen's opinion.  Seriously, you people, stop hating on Chagen merely because he's Chagen.

Chagen > Nerd Culture erroneously believes that taste objective and all people must hold hands and that having a different opinion is horrible and must be eliminated.

I've never noticed this.  Granted, I also really enjoy taking unpopular opinions on things.  It's fun to troll people by telling them that Lord of the Rings is meh at best and that you haven't seen more than one Star Wars movie.

Khwarizmi > So let me see if I've got this right:
    >Chagen creates thread bashing popular video game franchise and its fans
    >Fans express dislike at being insulted
    >Chagen strawmans fans, insults them further
    >Fans collectively ?_?
    >Chagen flounces, creates thread about how persecuted he feels

I thought that there was much Chagen flouncing as well as much piling on Chagen.  I'd like both to stop.

Khwarizmi > I like the combat in Zelda because it's intuitive yet involving.  The controls are easy to master (no bizarre button combinations to memorise), but you still have a decent variety of available moves, more as the series goes along, and you still get to actually fight the enemies rather than just selecting options from a menu screen.  It's fun.

I don't like the bothersome thing about going to the menu to switch between weapons and stuff.  Maybe they do it better in later games.

I know I much prefer something like how Metroid Prime does it--hold the R button and your fire button does something else.  Or something like that.

Gelzo > Anyway, let's keep this on-topic instead of about [Chagen].

It would be nice if the lot of you did this from the beginning.

Chagen > And to be honest, I raged because I'm sick of fans lauding the games like they're the second coming of Jesus amd then screaming at me when I don't like them.

I trust you understand how I feel when seeing the overwheming popularity of Tolkienesque Medieval European High Fantasy.

Cygan > The same could apply to any of the things you like, too, Chagen.
    Gelzo > You're the only one screaming here, Chagen. You really ought to be embarrassed at your display here.  Hey, can you ban someone from a thread?
    MousaThe14 > Must.... Not... Kill... Chagen....

Or you could simply not talk about Chagen and continue arguing about the Zelda series.

His being pissed at the raving fanbase is a pretty legit complaint, y'know.

MousaThe14 > No Chagen, you need to be more freaking respectable with your opinion. It's so annoying how you're taking a Confused matthew "Boohoo, I'm so confused, why does EVERYONE like this and I don't! Clearly there's something wrong with THEM!" approach. Get over yourself you grandeur delusional self-centered whiner.

Was this really necessary?

Saigyouji > "No, I'm pissed because they won't shut about them and act like no one could ever dislike them,"  Just like fans of every single series in existence then?

Well, some fanbases are more obnoxious than others.

Gelzo > Man... I tried to salvage the thread, but now it's back to Chagen's indulgent whining.

AND YOU WEREN'T HELPING.

Chagen > Gelzo:My thread. It goes where I want it.

No.  Wrong approach.

Cygan > You started up a thread detailing an opinion of yours on a popular franchise.  What did you expect people to do? Just nod their head, maybe make a little post saying "Okay"? Did you start this up looking for some legitimate discussion? Did you just want to rant? What?

I was expecting a hearty argument.

About the franchise itself, mind you.  Not about one of its users.

Chagen > Except you were doing it specifically to get back at me.

I would like to say that they weren't, but this thread became a gigantic clusterfuck that even a +20 on Sense Motive can't unravel.

Gelzo > Again you overestimate how much of a shit I give about you.

SHUT. UP. ALREADY.

Gelzo > How about instead, you stop posting and we can have the thread left open to discuss a topic we're interested in?

How about instead, you stop posting about Chagen, and actually go talk about the Zelda series.

MousaThe14 > Chagen, you can have your different opinion but you don't need to be stupid about it, I mean my god, you can't just say "I didn't like this game becuase of this and this" You just say 'THIS SUCKS! and it's fans SUCK for liking it" I mean, really, do you have a  sane bone in your body or are you a glutton for punishment?

I actually agree with Chagen now about this.  You're basically implying that going against popular opinions ought to require someone to have stronger reasoning than going against an unpopular opinion.  Now that's just wrong.

Ghilz > Wait, did Chagen just derail her own thread into being about her ego/paranoia?

AND YOU PEOPLE ARE TOO.

Why is it that I'm getting deja vu to people (including myself) dealing frustratingly with DLC and forgetting that there's a world outside of that?

Trash_Vortex > TP had many really obvious filler tasks that slowed the game right down, etc.

Oh yes, this got annoying to all of us spectators.
    Sowwy, Glenn.
  • edited 2011-04-28 12:28:38
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I don't think he's mad at you, since you weren't unnecessarily picking at Chagen's personal flaws, but disagreeing with his opinion of the game. People like Gelzo and Mousa, on the other hand, really ought to cool down and check themselves.
  • edited 2011-04-28 12:25:49
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    "Yes, and I see no problem with Chagen's opinion.  Seriously, you people, stop hating on Chagen merely because he's Chagen."

... I would have, and have in the past, used this exact phrasing when people write up an inflammatory post in a manner which I read as stating it as an objective fact.

I said it like this because Chagen, very specifically, stated:

"And yet, nearly every gamer in the world sucks its dick. What the fuck?"

This is, whether the intent was this or not, an insult to fans of the franchise. 

Furthermore, he phrase his opinion in ways such as this:

"Why do people love this series? It's shit.

I'm not trolling. LoZ is awful."

"Wind Waker was boring, Ocarina was worse, and I turned Majora's Mask off in about 5 minutes to play a vastly better game. The only thing this series has going for it is music, art direction, and the surpsingly deep characters and plot."

"LoZ is one of the worst games series I've ever played. It's shit. It's just plain awful."

He used offensive language, stating in very certain terms that he feels that the games suck and that the fans suck for liking the game. This was, well... It was pure flamebait.

tl;dr: I was offering up something to get Chagen to calm down and state his reasons.

I was not jumping down his throat nor attacking him, and I would appreciate it if you did not insinuate I was.
  • If that don't work, use more gun.
    So, who's excited for Skyward Sword?  I heard they're mixing up the formulas a bit there.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    I played a trial version back in October. It definitely feels like a Zelda game.
  • edited 2011-04-28 13:03:40
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I like the art style for SS. Don't know much else about it, though.

As for the flaming, it definitely needs to die down on both sides.
  • edited 2011-04-28 13:03:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @Cygan: I'm only insinuating that there was a noodle incident in this thread, and I don't want to revisit it if possible, except possibly to thump or mod-edit a large number of posts by several different posters.

As for that being flamebait, this forum has seen far more flamebaity stuff, and for that matter, given that you know Chagen you also know that he's spouting his opinion like this and is truly not trolling.

That said, it's a videogame series.  This is not about an ethnic group or race or culture or even political philosophy; it's a videogame series.  And yes, fanbases can be annoying (though I don't know the Zelda fanbase well at all so I cannot say whether they are).

> I said it like this because Chagen, very specifically, stated:  "And yet, nearly every gamer in the world sucks its dick. What the fuck?"

And what about it?  Someone felt pissy and wanted to rant.  That's one of the points of this forum.  If someone said something like this about a popular thing that I like--such as Law & Order or Eureka Seven--I frankly wouldn't have much to respond to with that, and would just gloss over it.  It's clearly an angry opinion of disapproval, and has little actual content; the only useful argument against it would be to try to find statistics on how many gamers dislike Zelda, and I doubt people have cared enough to actually poll gamers about that or something.

I responded to it, actually, and you can see it in my gigantpost up there.  I just said that I wouldn't go that far, but I did admit that it's a pretty popular series.

That said, I'm now disobeying my own request that this thread get back to talking about Zelda.  So I should stop arguing about this and get back to talking about Zelda.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Is the Wii or the GC version of TP better?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Neither?
This discussion has been closed.