If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This blog post on Doctor Who

edited 2012-03-13 19:13:43 in General

http://beasthouse-lm2.blogspot.com/2010/06/squee-doctors.html

It seems kind of unnecessarily bitter. 

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

-reads through-

Man, some people annoy me.

• edited 2012-03-13 19:52:30

Oh wait, nevermind.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

?

• I was going to wonder why he appears to have watched every episode when he clearly hates the show, but apparently that's his "thing". He wrote some well-received Doctor Who novels back in the day and now he hates the new show and feels that it betrays the old one.

Ah.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Miles His wiki page if you wanted more information.

• He does have a point.

Telling us the Doctor is fearsome without showing it got a little weak.
  • I'm a damn twisted person

Not quite as annoying as a random background character saying cryptic spooky stuff about the plot that will always come to a head in the season finale.

• ^^ I haven't really noticed that happening since Moffat took over, really.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^"Silence will fall?"

Admittedly, it's at least not pretending to be in the background.

• Although, Silence will Fall has been going on for TWO series now, and hasn't been explained quite yet. Of course, now it's "Silence will fall...when the Question is asked".

I guess next series the arc words will be "Doctor who?" 

• Also, the "kill all of us on sight" thing was seriously jarring.

• edited 2012-03-15 23:50:02

^I think it's been made pretty clear over the series that the Doctor has no problem with finding loopholes in his "Thou Shalt Not Kill" philosophy. It makes a far more interesting character, IMO, when you realize that he's not as perfect and honorable as he might appear. Otherwise he'd be the biggest Gary Stu in the history of science fiction.

He has a "thou shalt not kill" philosophy?

I thought he just mildly disliked using guns or something. 

• ^Kind of. He often seems or claims to abhor violence, and while he usually dislikes guns, he's done things that are violent and nasty enough that he really comes off as a big hypocrite. It often depends on his current incarnation, as well.

• a little muffled

His explicit goal with the "kill us all on sight" was to force the Silence to leave rather than actually wanting them all dead.

Although obviously he was okay with a fair amount of them ending up dead as a result.

• You can change. You can.

Honestly, it bothered me far more that that particular alien had to say that particular phrase. I mean...really? who says that? 

Also, I wouldn't say that he's hypocritical. He hates violence, but that doesn't stop him from perform it if he sees it as necessary. You know, like most people who are tossed into wars and stuff.

• I would have been fine if the Doctor just threatened to send the "kill us all on sight" message and made them leave that way, or if it had been represented as the Doctor staring into the abyss again, like with those spider-people but no, it's a happy triumphant moment with River Song happily blasting away at the aliens. I mean, even I kind of got caught up in the moment, and only went "wait, what?" a few seconds afterward.

As for the Doctor being talked up too much, I can see it, but frankly he's been presented as an amazing wonderful frightening figure of legend since day 1 on the new series since it began and Moffat just gets more explicit about it than his predecessor. This might be a betrayal of the old series, but the new series has remained pretty consistent about the Doctor's status as a character. Which is pretty much an inevitability, given that the writers were dealing with a cultural icon(someone from Britain correct me on the Doctor's icon-status). And I think it's kind of odd to insist that there's one correct take on a character that's gone through eleven different incarnations written by god-knows how many writers over the course of almost fifty years.

is that copy pasta

• edited 2012-03-16 14:18:29

No, why?

I don't know, I'm too used to you copy pasting, I guess.

Honestly, I always thought that what was interesting about the Doctor is that he was prone to actually do horrible things if he was pushed too far. Nobody gets so much power and control and never slip up, even just a little. 

"and made them leave that way"

I'm pretty sure they were native to earth and didn't have space travel.
  • That one escaped-prisoner thing fron The Eleventh Hour was a member of their organization, I think they'd probably have space travel.

Besides, Earth already has the Silurians, the Sea Devils, and the humans, another native intelligent species is kind of pushing it. 

Natives or otherwise, the ones on earth didn't have space travel. Remember, the space race happened because they needed a spacesuit.
  • a little muffled

But they needed a spacesuit to put Melody in, not to space travel.

That one escaped-prisoner thing fron The Eleventh Hour was a member of their organization, I think they'd probably have space travel.

I don't think that was stated, actually. And the whole Pandorica Box - Silence Will Fall thing was spread around the entire universe to call the Doctor's attention so that they could imprison him, as I recall, so it's not like every single person who said those things were a member of the Silence. Otherwise, the Daleks, cybermen and so on would be.

• Well then.

What about drivers who suddenly swerve out of traffic to hit targets they won't remember after they've crashed? Aren't the Silence going to defend themselves? If so, how are children and the elderly going to fare against tall-monster people?