If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Blue-and-orange in movies.

edited 2012-03-17 16:37:05 in Media
I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I'm sure you're all familiar with the tactic of using orange and blue in movie posters. It's fairly egregious. You may not, however, be familiar with the tactic of filling whole movies with this theme. I just wanted to point out how stupidly obvious it is in these trailers.  

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, it's way too common lately.
  • edited 2012-03-17 16:40:55
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Actually, the Mirror Mirror trailer deserves special mention because it's not like they just colored everything in oranges in post, they literally designed the entire movie in that exact way.

• No rainbow star
    I forget, what do orange and blue do?
  • I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

They're easy on the eye, oppose each other in a way that the brain finds aesthetically pleasing, and are simple to utilize (think sun and sky).

• edited 2012-03-17 16:44:57

^^ They're complementary colors, so it makes things more... contrast-y, and thus in theory more visually interesting.  Also, sunlight is yellow-orange-ish, and as a result shadows look vaguely bluish, so blue and orange also look more natural than other pairs of complementary colors.  Or something.

^ That too. 

• No rainbow star
    Ah, alright then
  • Orange gives a feel of age.  Browning paper/film, dust, etc.  It has subconscious connections to sunset, which also contains a whole lot of symbolism with age and things bygone.  It gets (over)used when presenting settings or stories like ancient Greece, or fairytale remakes to invoke false nostalgia.  It's also why you'll see pretty much any scene in a place very meaningful to a character's childhood and playing his nostalgia for all it's worth framed in sunset.

Occasionally, you'll see a very delicate over-hue of green serve a similar purpose, like a thin layer of moss, but the effect is somewhat more muted.  Typically the more powerful responses are connected to colors lower on the spectrum.

As for blue, it carries a lot of very powerful connections that have been cooked into us for most of our lives; sky, water, etc., are passive, reassuring, and familiar.  It's a calming force that can make a fantastic setting seem peaceful instead of hostile.

That's what I learned in theater and storytelling classes anyway.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I really would like to see them use more colors.

Some green/yellow/turquoise and some red/purple/pink would be nice.