If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Fahrenheit scale

edited 2011-03-19 00:07:59 in General
Kamen Rider MADOKA
Why do people in the USA still use it? Why not join us, the more progressive users of the Système Internationale?

Comments

• Oh, measurement talk. I remember you from the fall of '09!

/has nothing else to add
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Because.
  • edited 2011-03-19 00:13:45
    a little muffled
    The degree Celsius is not an SI unit. Just sayin'.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Yes. Kelvin is however. :P
  • People don't use Kelvin because big numbers omg
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Measuring everyday temperatures in Kelvin would just feel weird.

Besides, Celsius is handy because it's tied to the boiling and freezing points of water, which gives you a frame of reference.
  • edited 2011-03-19 02:43:24
    a little muffled
    @Kinkajou: Even if you personally use kelvins for everything (which I doubt), most people -- even in countries that use the metric system -- use degrees Celsius, which isn't even considered acceptable for use with SI (according to Wikipedia at least). So really, even if the US adopted the metric system, there's no reason they'd stop using degrees Fahrenheit to measure temperature.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    I agree with the use of Celsius. But why Fahrenheit?
  • a little muffled
    Because tradition. Although the Celsius scale was invented only twenty years after the Fahrenheit scale, that was apparently enough that it took most of the world several centuries to finally adopt it.
  • Fahrenheit also has the advantage of 0-100 being relatively encounterable temperatures, where as you'll rarely run into something around a hundred Celsius that isn't on fire or something.
  • Fahrenheit is the one non-international (read: wrong) unit I could get behind, unlike those dastardly customary units.
  • Because inertia and force of habit.
  • a little muffled
    @Deboss: Unless you're doing anything that involves boiling water...
  • Because we can.