If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Generational gaps in television

edited 2012-04-17 18:48:12 in Media

So the net is chock-full of people reminiscing over 80's shows, and even though a lot of them sucked, people are still fondly attached to them and they get a lot of love through revivals. I grew up in the 90's and early 00's era, so I got to see a lot of those revivals, but there were a lot of good cartoons and some not-so-good, but nostalgic ones. After that era, I'm pretty sure there are still some good cartoons around, but at this point, I can't really get into them anymore, so I often wonder what the kids of the later 00's and 10's are interested in or what media will define those in the future.

And yes, just media this time because it gets a lot more complicated when you factor in political/social issues, though I don't mind if the thread direction goes that way. 

Comments

• You can change. You can.

Honestly, I'd say that there are some quite good cartoons out there these days. 

--imagine a lengthy pimping rant about superhero cartoons--

• edited 2012-04-17 19:58:32
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Every era has good and bad things. Pretending any era is inherently superior is dumb.

And as social/political stuff goes I don't mind people missing transformers as much as I mind people who miss the days when black people had to drink from different water fountains.

• I know. When I say I cannot get into them, it's simply because I am no longer a preteen and so children's cartoons don't speak to me in the way they would to that age group. And really, most nostalgic cartoons are only good for that, which leads me to be curious about what's going to be considered nostalgic in the future.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Quite honestly, I've found a lot of children's cartoons these days that speak to me much more than CSI or 24 ever did.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Well, a lot of them are probably more realistic than CSI :P
  • I'm a damn twisted person

The thing about a good kid's show is that it aims to be entertaining to the adult audience(ie parents who watch it with their kids) as well as the kid's themselves. Doing something like this lets the show retain an older fanbase who can pick up on stuff they missed when they were kids, or just have fun watching it.

• Well, a lot of them are probably more realistic than CSI

As a long-term viewer of that show, I can confirm that you are as likely to find a magical kingdom inhabited by talking ponies as you are a police forensics lab that solves most of its cases, single-handed, in about two days' flat.

On topic, I too really stopped being able to get into cartoons after about my mid-20s at the latest, so it tends to be the 80s and 90s ones I have most fond memories of. Work and other social activities tend to eat into time for watching TV, I suppose.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-04-17 23:12:39

As a long-term viewer of that show, I can confirm that you are as likely to find a magical kingdom inhabited by talking ponies as you are a police forensics lab that solves most of its cases, single-handed, in about two days' flat.

That, and from random background scribbles in Twilight's house, it appears one of said magical talking ponies legitimately has a better grasp of math and physics than said forensics lab.

Also this.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Hey, I think I saw that episode!
  • ^^ Yeah, that nailed it. I really enjoy CSI, but some of their science is complete bullshit. My Mum laughs when they do stuff like that "image enhancement" and she knows even less about technology than me. You have to approach the show with a healthy dose of scepticism. 

• No rainbow star
    Back in highschool, I convinced my forensics teacher to let us watch it one class as an exercise to point out all the flaws

There were a lot of flaws
  • edited 2012-04-18 07:04:24
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

We can argue that for other properties as well, the lack of realism doesn't make it suck.

• No rainbow star

I don't think any of us said it sucked

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I think Lack of realism isn't CSI's problem so much as Lack of Realism in a world that's supposed to be ours.

• You can change. You can.

i'd say that formulaic plots and boring characters are why CSI sucks.

• Yeah, even David Caruso's quips can get boring after a while.

• Yeah CSI just kind of blows every dimension, not just the sciencefail.

• No rainbow star

I admit that I got bored of it a bit before Gruesome left (Some of the episodes just before Warrik died were bizarre and seemed to jump the shark. ESPECIALLY the dear in a ballerina's outfit)

• Even David Caruso's quips can get boring after a while

This needs that image of the Ordo Hereticus official stamp with "Heresy" on it. 

I don't watch it as regularly myself since Grissom left and they started reducing the role of my namesake (I thought). They were/are the best characters. CSI:Miami was always the silliest of the series though - like a particularly unserious comic.

• edited 2012-04-18 10:09:15
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

This needs that image of the Ordo Hereticus official stamp with "Heresy" on it.

You called?

For the record, I found Caruso annoying after one video.