If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Sleep Paralysis

edited 2012-04-18 00:57:17 in Meatspace
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
Sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking.

fuck it

fuck it so much

Comments

• a little muffled

I find the idea terrifying. Fortunately it's never happened to me. (And probably never will; after all, I'd have to sleep for that!)

• edited 2012-04-18 01:03:03
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    It happens to me pretty often. Maybe once every couple days, but if I'm trying to take a nap, sometimes it can occur multiple times in the space of an hour.

Apparently a lot of people hallucinate hearing or seeing pretty freaky shit when it happens though, which I luckily don't get.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

This shit happens to me when I fall asleep in a car. I begin to get slightly panicked too, which you think would wake me up.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

This has happened to me twice. The first time was terrifying, although I was facing a wall at the time. Didn't see a thing. 

The second time, I knew what was essentially happening, so it was a lot less disturbing. The other difference is that I was facing the opposite direction, right into the middle of my room. What I saw was a large black wolf, bristling and pacing while staring straight at me. It didn't attack, though, and soon enough it faded into the background as my mind caught up to my senses. 

• edited 2012-04-18 02:10:43

Not being able to move is the worst feeling.  I freak out a little bit every time.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^^ Yeah, it's common not to contact your totem animal at the first time. He prefers not to appear before you are ready to see him. Brace yourself, for he may speak to you next time, but you don't have to worry over that. He'll tell you what to do.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I seem to have been unlucky with the whole "totem animal" thing, since I got the impression it didn't like me very much and would prefer to feast on my corpse. 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

He's kinda scary, no doubt, that's the spirit world for ya. But he might've been unsure of your adequacy. I mean, you haven't had a shaman in your family, have you? Anyway, chances are you'll get to know more next time. Just don't rush it, you know, mushrooms are great, but they'll make a mess of your third eye if you don't know what you're doing. But I doubt you would, so saying that just in case. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I've never had visions during sleep paralysis but I do have snakes show up in my dreams a lot.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. Being conscious and unable to move for a few minutes is probably better than being conscious and unable to move forever, totally unable to produce any sound or experience any feeling. Your family happens upon you and figures you dead, and you're buried, completely alive but thought to be dead. You slowly waste away due to starvation in a coffin buried a dozen feet underground, unable to tell the people who just condemned you to death that you were alive after all. So cheer up, bud!

• Has friends besides tanks now

Really glad this doesn't happen to me. I'm lucky enough that I can sleep soundly in a lot of places.

• You can change. You can.

Only happened to me once. The dream involved me plugging my iPod to my air conditioner to listen to Kubrick's latest single: 2001 and beyond: The Story of a Man who Raps His Way Into A Monolith.

I knew what it was, though, so I wasn't entirely annoyed and just went along with it cuz i knew i'd be able to move soon.

• a little muffled

Only happened to me once. The dream involved me plugging my iPod to my air conditioner to listen to Kubrick's latest single: 2001 and beyond: The Story of a Man who Raps His Way Into A Monolith.

Your dreams make too much sense.

It's an issue I've had to deal with since I was a child.

• Happens to me around once a month -- less often than it used to.  With a few (very disturbing) exceptions, for the most part I've gotten used to it and just sit there twiddling my metaphorical thumbs in irritation until my body decides to wake up.

• They're somethin' else.

It's happened to me a few times before. Everytime it does, I swear I see something wrap its arms around me.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

How are we supposed to know if this even happens to us? Am I the only person here who can't remember what happens before he goes to sleep any more than he can remember his dreams?

It normally happens after you sleep.

• edited 2012-04-18 19:53:30
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

It normally happens after you sleep.

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up. :P

Well, no, I don't think it's ever happened to me. A lot of the time I can't get out of bed for an hour after I actually wake up, but that's just my own laziness.

• It's never happened to me, and I sure hope it doesn't. I never let myself sleep on my back if I can help it, though, for other reasons.

• edited 2012-04-18 20:50:36
    No rainbow star
    CountryPumpkin: Note to self - Make sure all family members are clear on, "Have hospital check my brain for signs of activity first"