If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

File open... uh, what?

edited 2011-03-20 16:23:56 in General
Because you never know what you might see.
OK, this is bugging me.  Whenever I try to remove a couple of my folders into my My Music folder, my computer says it can't because "the folder or a file in it is open in another program".  But... it isn't.  I checked Task Manager and everything.  I definitely don't have it open.

What the hell?

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    How can you check what files are in use by what tasks?
  • edited 2011-03-20 16:37:28
    It could just be some background process that happens to have the file loaded for some reason.  If you can't figure out what it might be, try restarting your computer.  Unless some process is loading those files on startup, which would be really weird.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    ^^ IDK, I don't understand computers.

I'll try restarting I guess.
  • It could be Media Player. Newer versions of it run constantly, even in the background. This got me once because it wouldn't let me take out a flash drive when I was late for a lesson once, because WMA needed it for some reason, ugh, I never did solve that problem.
  • I encounter this problem a lot when uninstalling/reinstalling fonts. Usually I end up having to reboot, which is a pain in the ass, but at least it works.
    It's only a few files that it won't move; most of the songs I have in Media Player moved just fine.
  • If this is a recurring problem, try installing MoveOnBoot.  It lets you set files to be moved, deleted, or copied next time you start up your computer, before Windows starts up.  I used it once to delete some malware from my computer (not that that's necessarily the intended use of it...), and it seems to work, so... yeah.

That should make things a bit more convenient, at least.
    Thanks.  I'll try that next time.  But restarting seemed to work, and anyway I already found a less moronic way of getting the files to do what I wanted them to do without having to move them, so I'm good. ^_^

Sorry about this.  Me and computers is basically a lot of trial and error, a lot of clicking around and a lot of mashing of keys.
  • edited 2011-03-20 17:08:56
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    That's actually how most people use computers (even people who seem skilled with them), if you add some heavy use of Google. It's just that nobody admits it.
    Khwarizmi: Programs use files when they run.  Most notably, they use the program file itself, and typically they also use supporting files such-as feature plug-ins.  Ones that process data also use data files--for example, OpenOffice Writer will be using CoverLetter.odt (or whatever you call it) when you're writing that cover letter.

Competent operating systems allow programs to "lock" the files they're using, so that they can't be edited, and in some cases, can't be opened, when they're in use already.  Just in case something swoops in and fucks with stuff causing the program originally using the file to go whatthehellisthiswhatamigoingtodoholycrap.

I don't know of a way to see what running programs (tasks) are using what files, which is why I asked.
    Oh.  Yeah, I just didn't see any programs or processes that I thought could reasonably be using the files in question.
    Windows version plz
  • Same problem with iTunes most of the time.
    I use Winamp rather than Windows Media Player or iTunes.  And I organize my music library by myself, via the file manager.
  • I still have to correct my file names after manually ripping music from iPods I've collected.
  • http://xkcd.com/627/

A handy flow chart for fixing any computer problem. 
  • The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm
    also this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 as you can search the filename and figure out what process is holding the file.  could also close the file handle from this too and release it's control on said file
  • No rainbow star
    Rin: Oh god I hate that. Luckily some music I needed to rescue off of my iPod (and it was all the music I needed to rescue) kept data like the name of the songs in the properties along with the album art instead of changing format and fucking with me
  • Was your machine running any virus/security scans?  Those count as opening the file.
  • edited 2011-03-21 14:24:34
    Because you never know what you might see.
    Y'know, it might have been.  That would explain it.

Didn't think of that. >_<
  • It does the same for defrags and what not as well.