If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Bookclub

Comments

• a little muffled

@lrdgck: Eh, I'm not going to judge the book or anything, but it made me feel a bit icky reading it. I wouldn't say that's the reason I put it down but it was a contributing factor. (The larger one simply being I had other stuff I was more interested in reading.)

@ClockworkUniverse: Man, that might beat out "The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault."

• edited 2012-09-18 19:36:09
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I forgot how glorious that opening line is.

I really, really liked Elantris, but I still think the Mistborn trilogy are his best work.  Of what I've read anyway - I still need to get around to Stormlight and The Alloy of Law.

EDIT: I was planning on attempting to tackle a reread of WoT next, but I might actually read Stormlight first.  I can't believe I haven't yet.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Really liking this so far, but just going on WoK and Elantris, I have to ask: does Sanderson ever write stories in which some form of magic Skype doesn't exist?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Mistborn doesn't have anything like that.

Well, so far, Raoden is basically trying to be Kaladin. Looking forward to seeing if he can deliver on that.

• a little muffled

Yeah I guess I should read Elantris sometime too.

• edited 2012-09-18 23:31:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Up to chapter 12.

I think Hrathen might have just weaponized hipsterism. (though a few pages later, that doesn't seem to be working for him)

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

So, CU, question: What do you think about Sadeas?

• edited 2012-09-18 23:34:56

Hm.

Well, he isn't exactly a nice guy, but I get the impression that he's more of a product of the governmental system he lives in than just an ordinary asshole. Character development is possible, but for the moment he's most definitely a villain (or at least a face to embody the obstacles created by the nobility).

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

See, I got the impression that Sadeas is actually different from the nobility, too.

Spoiler:
    Sadeas does exhibit most of the bad Alethi traits, but at the same time, alongside Dalinar, Sadeas is the only highprince actually supporting Elhokar. He's loyal, although ruthless and planning.

That is; I believe that he's a villain to Dalinar, but to the story as a whole, Sadeas is not a villain any more than Elhokar is.

So, other questions:

What do you think about Jasnah?

What do you think about Kaladin and Dalinar?

and, lastly, what do you think about the theme of honour throughout the book?

• edited 2012-09-19 00:02:59

spoilered stuff

Spoiler:
    That's true, but his worst traits all seem to tie into the structure of power, so even if he supports Elhokar, he's not able to do that in an honorable manner, at least not when his plans collide with Dalinar's.

What do you think about Jasnah?

I'd say she's pretty awesome overall, though she's extremely hesitant to open up to other people about her world-saving research. Admittedly she has good reasons for that given that people are trying to kill her over it. Shallan's presence will hopefully change that to some extent.

What do you think about Kaladin and Dalinar?

They are awesome, and they're awesome in ways that reinforce each other.

what do you think about the theme of honour throughout the book?

Well, that's a big question.

Spoiler:
    I find it interesting that the villains we see directly (that is, the ones who are directly antagonists; I'm not counting stuff like the Parshendi because I'm classifying them more as forces than as actual villains) don't have evil goals. Sadeas wants to protect Elhokar, Taravangian wants to save the world, stuff like that. But they're villains because they're going about those goals through dishonorable means.

Szeth, meanwhile, can't really be classified as a hero or a villain any more than a sword can. He's letting himself essentially be a tool because, as I understand it, his honor demands it due to whatever he did to become Truthless. This will likely lead to the philosophical question of whether it's possible for losing your honor to be the most honorable action in a situation in a later book, possibly the very next, since he's going after Dalinar next.

(for some reason, regular spoilers stopped working after the first one :/)

It's hinted that something has happened to Jasnah in her past, too, to make her so reticent to open to others.

Can you go into more detail regarding Kaladin/Dalinar?

• edited 2012-09-19 01:11:06

So, Elantris is pretty awesome. Can't compare it to WoK at this point since I'm only about 25% through, but it's up there.

Can you go into more detail regarding Kaladin/Dalinar?

Well, essentially, they're both defined by their honor and commitment, though in entirely different ways. Kaladin is all about keeping people alive, while Dalinar's goal is more to improve society.

Well, Kaladin isn't like that for part of his time as a slave, but he grows out of it.

• edited 2012-09-19 01:51:54
    I just finished the first half, and I'll go buy the second later.

Jasnah is complicated, but delightfully so.

Actually, now that I think about it, whenever things go wrong, they go wrong when some part of ten or five (half of ten) is lost. Nine forsaking the pact. Four great cities and one lost one.

I'd say that Dalinar and Kaladin are both defined by their roles.

Spoiler:
    Kaladin is a surgeon's apprentice turned soldier. In his lifetime, he started off learning how to save people. Then, he learned how to kill people. Now, his goal is to protect people by killing- killing those who would do them harm.

Dalinar, meanwhile, is a warrior turned highprince. His entire life, he's been a killer, and he's very good at killing. Now, he's responsible for leading- and he is all too aware that leading is the ultimate form of service. Now, he's leading people into war, determined to keep them alive.

The difference is in how they view their role, really. Kaladin is a surgeon- he's worried about people on an individual basis; he wants to keep people alive because that's what he does. Dalinar is a leader- he's worried about his people; he wants to keep people alive because they are his people, and he serves them.

Kaladin protects them from among them, while Dalinar protects them from afar. Both are different methods, that achieve the same goal.

• edited 2012-09-19 11:50:34

That sounds right.

So, about 2/3 done with Elantris now.

For those who haven't read it, I'd describe it like this: it's about politics, religion and magic zombies.

• edited 2012-09-19 16:00:09
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

so the sequel to the shining comes out next year

Finished part 2 of Elantris.

This book is really, really awesome.

I'm about four pages later.

This book is really, really, really awesome.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Brandon Sanderson is pretty much my favorite author.  

Maybe I should reread Elantris too, after Stormlight.  It's been a while, I think.

• edited 2012-09-19 18:30:50

Finished. 23 hours after starting.

Damn, that was the last fifty pages of Way of Kings all over again, though in WoK I didn't feel stupid for not guessing all the twists.

Overall, I liked this...almost exactly as much as WoK. Though I think the Stormlight books as a collective will likely be the better work just by virtue of there being so much more of them.

I kind of want to see something else in this setting, though I'm not sure what that would be.

Oh, and Hoid barely showed up. That was a little disappointing :c

now read mistborn

What do you think I'm doing?

yes good

• edited 2012-09-19 18:57:18
    Has friends besides tanks now

What I've heard of Elantris is that the writing is a bit worse than usual for him, by virtue of being his first book, but that otherwise, it's good. I don't see myself reading that much Sanderson, though. I still have to finish a bunch of stuff.

Also, how long was it? You're just blazing through all these books and I'm reading three chapters of stuff each day.

Also, how long was it? You're just blazing through all these books and I'm reading three chapters of stuff each day.

487 pages.

What I've heard of Elantris is that the writing is a bit worse than usual for him, by virtue of being his first book, but that otherwise, it's good. I don't see myself reading that much Sanderson, though. I still have to finish a bunch of stuff.

The writing isn't quite as good, but it still met expectations. The story is really good. Three words: zombie Jedi artists.

>We can rob the unrobbable and fool the unfoolable

-makes obvious Gurren Lagann reference-

So, I'm reading Trudi Canavan's Traitor Spy trilogy at the moment.

It's the third trilogy she's written, and the second trilogy taking place in her Black Magician universe. There is a standalone book taking place hundreds of years before either of the trilogys, too.

Ordinarily, I don't have a lot of good things to say about fantasy works- many of them are unoriginal, uninspired, and blandly written.

Canavan's works are... well, her writing is adequate, but it's nothing special. The themes she explores in her books, though, are truly worth something. She explores sexism, classism, homosexuality, and a lot of other things that are not often explored in fantasy. (Plus, it's a world populated entirely by humans, a true rarity in fantasy these days.)

I can't say a lot yet, as I'm barely into the second book of an unfinished trilogy, but if you're looking for more fantasy to read, I'd suggest giving Trudi Canavan a go.

too many books T_T

at least

you don't go around and buy all these books to see if any of them don't suck

>:/

no, i do it for you

sheesh