If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Contra NES vs Super C

edited 2012-10-13 17:41:08 in General
They're somethin' else.

Super C is, in my opinion, a VASTLY superior game to Contra. The flame weapon's a hell of a lot better and not some wonky Wave Beam wannabe, the stupid unintuitive over the shoulder stages were replaced with overhead stages, and the soundtrack has better synth, drum sampling and composition overall.

However, Super C is also easier to find, usually 10 or even 15 dollars cheaper at swap meets and used game stores, and it's even available in Wii's Virtual Console service.

I'm guessing the only reason why Super C wasn't as fondly remembered was because it doesn't use the Konami Code for its extra lives cheat. Silly reason, but somehow it makes sense. The damn code's pretty iconic.

Comments

• Silence is golden.

the stupid unintuitive over the shoulder stages were replaced with overhead stages,

While the bonus stages in the NES Contra are insanely bad, I wouldn't say it's because they're "uninuitive" as much as it's because of the stupid cramped field and the 2nd one being insanely padded. The bonus stages in the arcade version, while not great, are much more playable because they don't have those problems.

I'm guessing the only reason why Super C wasn't as fondly remembered was because it doesn't use the Konami Code for its extra lives cheat.

I'd say the reason it isn't as famous is that the NES Contra's difficulty made a deep impression on those who played it at the time and is iconic to the game. When Super C came out and proved to be a tighter made (but not a signifiant leap like Mega Man>Mega Man 2), just-as-tough sequel, it was expected.

• They're somethin' else.

I googled opinions of both games. They say that while Super C is a tighter game overall, it doesn't have Contra's level design.

Well, if they mean those weird deathtraps, then yeah, that's valid, i guess. But it also sort of makes it suffer Battletoads syndrome. Yes, those non beat em up/ non run n gun segments help do away with the monotony, but they'll also trip you up until you memorize them from several, SEVERAL playthroughs.

Also, fuck those plows in the snowfield. The subway from Metal Slug X kicks its ass these days.

• I played Super C, and immediately hated it because it didn't have the Konami code. I prefer to have beating the game within the limits of human ability, personally.

I'm quite fond of seeing how much I've improved from one play attempt though the next. I'll usually only play with an extra lives code if i'm playing multiplayer with a rookie.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I hate it when a game makes it hard to practice for something that's difficult to wing but has a fixed pattern.

That's why I like how Flying Red Barrel has practice mode.

• Silence is golden.

Also, fuck those plows in the snowfield.

Is it even possible to destroy those things with the peashooter.

I prefer to have beating the game within the limits of human ability, personally.

never give Undeadline to this guy.

• My arms are falling off!

needs the arcade versions

which use a vertical monitor because Konami was lazy fucks at the time

Yeah, I never got that about the Arcade Contras. Why the fuck would a belt scrolling (most of the time) run n gun use a Vert monitor?