If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

the Marvel vs. Capcom series

edited 2012-11-29 05:57:38 in Media
They're somethin' else.

I really don't get the over-enthusiasm with this series. The premise, for me at least, is just so stupid and full of "why would these things be compatible?"

The first two games in the series were great, though. X-Men: Children of the Atom was a bit rough around the edges only because the game was sort of a testbed of sorts (And Akuma as a secret character was a  harbinger of horrible things to come), but man, Marvel Super Heroes was great! Then X-Men vs. Street Fighter came along, and welp, If Capcom's love of Oh! Exploitable! wasn't obvious by this point, it certainly was with this game. Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter came along to correct a lot of the previous' balance issues, only to create a whole lot more. Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 became the last big thing before Marvel 2 and eventually, 3.

Each and every game after MSH seemed to suffer from a visible lack of effort and playtesting (except maybe MVC1. maybe). But then Marvel vs Capcom 2 started missing a lot of personality, too. To make up for it, they gave the game this strange... lounge jazz soundtrack, which i guess no one every really does give a damn about anyway. I personally like it, but that's only because Capcom seems to be envious of SNK's sound-team enough that they must've participated in a soundtrack arms race with SNK in the late 90's (see also, 3rd Strike's soundtrack, which was amazing).

And you know what? I haven't played Marvel 3 enough to shit on or even give a shit about it, and I'm not gonna remedy that anytime soon or in the near future. Maybe I'm better off that way.

Comments

• You are.

I hate that game.
  • Has friends besides tanks now

What, why? I haven't really played any of the other MvC games, but I loved UMvC3.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    Yeah, wow. I love this whole series.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    What, why? I haven't really played any of the other MvC games, but I loved UMvC3

Remedy that.

• edited 2012-11-29 08:29:27

I'M GONNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE...

I loved the series up to MvC (with Marvel vs Street Fighter being probably my favourite). Then again, I'm not really a competitive player, and the games are super cool. I didn't like how MvC 2 decided to amp everything up ridiculously: every single sprite ever created by the company deserved to be made a fully playable character, 3 characters per team, the "store" system... it just felt cluttered.

The earlier games worked because they had a reduced roster: Yes, Shuma-Gorah is definitely a B lister or worse, and only the most experienced players would've known Jin Saotome from before MvC, but they had a ton of personality and really gelled with the aesthetics of the game. And for each of them, you had a Captain America or Ryu. But who gives a fuck about Marrow or that Mummy dude from Darkstalkers or that generic Pirate gal, particularly when there's just so many characters, many of which are pretty much clones anyway (ie Iron Man and War Machine).

Also, the soundtrack, while nice, didn't fit the game at all.

Never played MvC 3.

I think MvC 3 has a great roster.

• They're somethin' else.

XMVSF through MVC1 were tolerable and definitely COOLER THAN COOOOOOOL (seriously) because despite the series being the equivalent of Disney's hard times struggling with Walt Disney's death, there was a lot of charm and detail in the series. You know, the character taunts and voice acting, the basic game mechanics and the incremental upgrades etc. There was a lot of pretty colorful shit flying around, but at least it was manageable and most of it had a reason for being there.

MvC2 more or less Michael Bay'd the franchise as a fighting game. I mean sure, they actually took all the time and money to make all those other sprites, but what about the abundance of infinites and totally useless fighters overshadowed by like 4 overpowered ones? and the instant they released a version on the PS2 with some actual playtesting and refinement involved, the fans hated it.

And as for MVC3, it just looks and sounds so HIGIGGIGIGNIGHIGNOIGHIGHMORESUGAR that it's obnoxious. Too much shit flying around that i can't for the life of me make head to toe of it whenever i see anyone play it. I mean, if you watch a KOF or 3rd Strike match, you know exactly what's going on as you're watching it and you're cheering whoever on. Marvel 3? Good fucking luck.

Oh yeah, and regarding all this fan wankery about rosters and what character in whatever franchise deserves the chance to fight with characters none of them have any business of meeting on the battlefield: Man, this is why I've stopped following news for Super Smash Bros. I'm better off not knowing. Fan speculation is annoying. But hey, I'm still playing on dead technology so what do I know?

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-11-29 14:19:52
    I still love the series. :v

I like the crazy.

I also like the crazy, as evident by things like my avatar. I don't have a problem with it. Considering my favorite character in the game is Deadpool, I think that says a lot.

And the Super Smash Bros Roster speculation is one of my favorite parts. Looking forward to the next game of that.

• edited 2012-11-29 16:01:36
    Has friends besides tanks now

I mean, if you watch a KOF or 3rd Strike match, you know exactly what's going on as you're watching it and you're cheering whoever on.

Haven't played 3rd Strike, but KOF always looked really bland, to me, even at the higher levels. And MvC3 is only tough to follow at the highest levels of play, when people are being smacked up and down repeatedly and being comboed for 80 hits, or whatever. I would certainly be incapable of actually doing that, but I don't know if it's that tough to follow.

• KoF (Or at least the ones I remember) is a much more technical game than MvC 3, it's just significantly less flashy or filled with insane combos (same for 3rd strike).

Always relevant when talking fighting games:

If you want to talk about flashy fighting games:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmnu1tnlbZ1qenqj7o1_400.gif

So I don't know bout flashy, but K' from King of Fighters throws you his sunglasses (on fire), stops time to put on his sunglasses back and then resumes kicking your ass! All in one super.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>why would these things be compatible?

Marvel: Filled with over-the-top multicolored characters with soap operatic backgrounds and generally solve problems in dramatic battles.

Capcom: Filled with over-the-top multicolored characters with soap operatic backgrounds and generally solve problems in dramatic battles.

...Yeah, I don't see why these two things are compatible at all.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    We had Marvel Vs Capcom.

Then we had Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

So when will we have Tatsunoko Vs Marvel?
  • edited 2012-12-01 19:13:47

Marvel vs Capcom vs Namco vs SNK vs Tatsunoko vs Professor Layton vs NIS vs Gust vs Idea-Factory vs Metal Gear vs Sony

@ Malk

To be fair, the street fighters might as well be classified as supers anyway. Over half of them fire what John Cheese refers to as "gay ass soul lasers".

• edited 2012-12-02 06:43:14

Well, they did get a power bump for the games. The shinkuu hadouken, for example, went from a slightly larger fireball to a straight out Kamehameha.

There are some characters that wouldn't look out of place in the Marvel universe like Wesker and Megaman.

>Megaman

R.I.P. Bro...

He lives on with his comic!

• I'm a damn twisted person

Marvelized Megaman - A human Sentinel built to copy the powers of mutants he has killed. Develops a conscious and tracks down the other sentinels of his line. So half the Vision and half ROM Space Knight.

I don't think I'll ever get over Megaman Legends 3.

^^I would read the shit out of that, man.

Honestly, I am way more emotionally invested in the Inti Creates saga than in the Legends series. Either way, sucks to be megaman.

I was soooo invested in Megaman Legends. I remember doing EVERYTHING in the first one. I've played that one like 7 times all the way through.

And the sequel is even better. I was so excited that 3 was coming.

We even have gameplay maaaaaaaan