If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Meatpuppet Theater Thread

Comments

• You can change. You can.

Marion Cotillard looks extremely attractive with short straight hair.

I must see this.

• Of course, it should be noted that she's much more attractive in motion than in still pictures.

• The other day I finally saw 'Branded', and it certainly was as ludicrous as I've been told.
  • edited 2013-02-07 06:47:57
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Anyone know any good movies about people illegally crossing the U.S/Mexico border? It seems like the perfect backdrop for a lot of good character growth.

Preferably without a drug smuggling bent, or even a mention of that stuff.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2013-02-07 06:56:33

I heard Sin Nombre is good. It is about a guy escaping a gang for the US, though.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I'll check it out I guess. You take what you get.

But seriously where are all the movies about this...

• edited 2013-02-07 07:55:22
    You can change. You can.

Babel is about immigration and there's also Paraiso Travel which I'm pretty sure evades the criminal angle.

Kay, I'll watch all three this weekend.

• edited 2013-02-10 03:40:56

Revenge S2 so far.

Yes, I didn't drop this, but I also didn't expect it to take an even bigger turn to stupid town that it already had in the last quarter of S1.

The Initiative continue to be a thing that makes no sense, one day they're investors, the next they might as well be a race of ancient Mayans bent on the destruction of fruit pies.

Emily has a new ally, who is proving to be a complete idiot every time he appears (turning your back on Emily's crazy mother? Really?)

Oddly enough, the one thing that truly bothers me is Nolan's newly discovered bisexuality. I was glad to see it but I've noticed that last season when he was with Tyler all they had was really "Dude look it's two guys making out!", they never spoke, never had an emotional connection. Then Tyler went crazy. This season Padma is loving, caring, adorable and designed just for everyone to root for her, she then proceeds to helpo Nolan grow emotionally. I wouldn't be too concerned about the Tyler thing if other relationships on the show ere presented like that, but they're really not. Even ones about manipulation have both participants having feelings for each other (and notably nobody else has gone crazy >_>, even Amanda). So... good work on invalidating homosexual relationships Revenge! (also slightly implying that homosexual people are all ticking timebombs).

Finally, Amanda has been forced into a coma mid-dramatic plot, who handed the reins to the soap opera writers?

I started on Sin Nombre yesterday and stopped at the sexual assault/murder scene because no way this will be a good movie anymore, plus nobody had even mentioned migration yet. I decided I might've been irrational and gave it another chance and guess what? Another sexual assault/murder scene and seriously nothing's happened yet aside from a slight change of scenery, so I'm not continuing because all it's doing so far is being in love with gang culture, which is dumb and not about migration.

I'm going to try Babel next, but the multiple plotlines thing seems odd.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'm starting Rizzoli & Isles. Pretty good show- it's kind of weird for a detective show to not focus so much on all the nitty-gritty details like Law & Order and CSI do, but I think I prefer it this way.

And Rizzoli and Isles make for great protagonists, to boot.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Continued Rizzoli & Isles.

It's a great show so far, I really like it. (I'm about a third of the way into the second season now.)

The first season ends on one hell of a cliffhanger, though.

Also, for a cop, Rizzoli has an extremely high body count. At least three people dead in at least three separate incidents so far.

• edited 2013-02-22 11:36:15

Three years late to the party, but I've got things to say:

Doctor Who The Almost People Two Parter:  This was actually laughable. The way the entire episode was arranged, the way loyalties shifted, pretending to understand the nuances of a concept only to smash it in the face and pretend a single band-aid makes it all better. Seriously, this sucked.

It was basically "Flesh is good!" "No it all wants to murder you!" "Hey these flesh are cool now." "Sure :D lets go stop them from making more of it."

Of course at the end we have a cure for blood clots, but later we can't treat tree poison.

Pregnant Amy plot was... good, I guess. There was nothing terrible about it.

Doctor Who The One Where They Rescue Amy & Baby But Not Really: This was... lame. 

There are gay people who exist to not matter (Seriously? "Hey join our cult!" "Sure." "It would be really cool if this were somehow relevant right?"). There is a girl who met the Doctor whose plot is relevant and I guess I liked her plot but not her. Rory gets the baby from the aether and everybody is like "Oh Rory you found the baby that is so cool ooh lets go". Seriously, no "Hey, Rory, where did you find the baby during the commercial break? You know they built this entire thing to keep her here right? Why did they give her up so easily? Hey, remember five seconds ago when Amy was ice-cream slush?"

River was really good in this episode. Everyone else could explode and I would care less. Also: Somebody really should've known about the headless monks beforehand.

Doctor Who Let's Kill Hitler: liked you River song. I honestly did, but what the heck was this?

"Hi, I'm Mel, the sassy black friend of Amy and Rory you've never heard of before. Sadly, there are no time-shenanigans to explain this. Let's go kill Hitler. Why? We'll establish that later because this episode was written by seven year-olds. Of course since this is Doctor Who we need pointless external forces to actually justify why this episode wasn't fifteen minutes long. Oh wait, y'know, since I just appeared randomly today, let me be awesome by being the reason Amy and Rory are together. Amy thought Rory was gay, hilarious. Hey, I'm also dying, but it's okay because I'm River Song. Why dirty a completely okay plot by introducing fifty pointless elements into it now? Because the writers can! Hey, I made my parents meet because that's deep and stuff. Now I'm saving the Doctor because even the writers realize nobody would like another time lord on the show and well I don't make sense anyway so neither does this."

"We're here to do stuff as professional mini-people. Oh, it's totes routine to appear at wrong points in time because we lack the ability to look at calendars and or watches. Now to hurt Riv- oh man it's time to get out of here why were we even in this."

And then

Doctor: DOCTOR MAGIC

Everything: Is okay because Gallifreyans are allergic to death.

Amy: Yaaay.

Rory: I'm tough now because okay yeah I'm not even a character, just Amy's pet boy who does whatever she needs.

Show: FEEL BAD FOR RIVER

No.

Show: THEN HERE'S SOME FILLER.

I would've talked about the Pandorica but that was painful enough to sit through once.

• edited 2013-02-22 12:44:57
    a little muffled

> doesn't like the almost people

Well, okay, that one wasn't great, I thought it was okay though.

> doesn't like a good man goes to war

It had some problems, yeah, but come on, it was just fi--

> doesn't like pandorica

DOES NOT COMPUTE

(let's kill hitler sucked though, no argument there)

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So, Game of Thrones season two is out on DVD, so I can finally watch it now. A year late.

Of course, almost everyone who doesn't have an HBO subscription has long since pirated it.

HBO is pretty successful, so they probably think their business model is really good, but I'm fairly certain they're losing several million dollars per year with this bullshit.

River was really good in this episode. Everyone else could explode and I would care less.

I like you 14

but you have shit-taste in characters

• HBO is pretty successful, so they probably think their business model is really good, but I'm fairly certain they're losing several million dollars per year with this bullshit.

I'd cut them some slack and just assume it came out this late for other (probably also dumb) reasons. Mostly because I don't see how releasing the DVD so late could ever be construed as an attempt to prevent piracy (The show airs in HD, so the only version not available 4 hours after airing is the Blue Ray), and also because they have actually been using other, more effective methods: For one, they broadcast (some) shows internationally at the same time as in the US (removing some of the reason to pirate, that is, 2 to 6 weeks of delay), and they have HBO Go, so you can watch their stuff online provided you have a subscription (last time I checked it was region dependant, which sucks, but at least they're bringing it here).

I don't see how releasing the DVD so late could ever be construed as an attempt to prevent piracy

I'm not saying it does. I'm saying it causes piracy.

more effective methods

and they have HBO Go, so you can watch their stuff online provided you have a subscription

I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain this isn't even marginally effective. People who don't want to subscribe to HBO just to watch one show on TV aren't going to subscribe to HBO just to watch one show streaming either.

• edited 2013-02-22 15:29:54

Well, I'm thinking more about convenience, if for whatever reason you'd want/need to watch one or several shows in your computer (don't have a TV/can't watch it when it airs/simply prefer it), it's certainly nice to have a legal alternative. Plus, it has a very good backcatalog (The Wire, for example, I think The Sopranos too)

• edited 2013-02-22 15:31:17
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

That's very true, and I'm not going to knock the streaming service itself, but I think the general subscription business plan is a bad idea now that people who don't want to subscribe have alternatives.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

They still bring in a lot of money from the subscriptions, though. My family's got it, at least.

They do. But I think they'd bring in more money if they were to, say, put new episodes up on iTunes. Or hell, if they're too stubborn to split their profits, sell them themselves.

But they could be obtaining more. More money means more shows. More shows means more dongs on your TV.

• edited 2013-02-22 18:37:13
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I DO like the sound of my penises in my face.

It sounds like -flopflopflopflopflop-

> doesn't like pandorica

The Pandorica had promise, and I enjoyed the time bits but the rest of it was still... well, that episode.

Also it still had Messianic Doctor, who we almost never had to deal with when it was 10th >_>

Plus the events after the universe reset were kinda dumb.

As was Centurion Rory.

And I have a problem with the way Doctor Who treats it's characters (ie they never ever grow change and unless they're obeying the Doctor they're not achieving much).

Like, we have tiny Amy appear multiple times through the series, she might as well be a different character each time really. I mean, I get that the universe was reset but there's this thing I have with consistency...

I like you 14

but you have shit-taste in characters

this was confirmed long ago

But she's not bad, she has good lines when not being Mel. The entire Doctor romance is dumb but she makes it funny (unlike the Doctor, who is overly serious).

Also it still had Messianic Doctor, who we almost never had to deal with when it was 10th >_>

you're busting my balls aren't cha

But it's true! I mean, of course his finale episode was pretty messianic but in-series he was pretty down to earth. As much as a Gallifreyan can be.

Tangent: One thing that bothers me about Doctor Who is it's erratic schedule and less than 15 episodes per season, yet it requires filler that does nothing in terms of character development or anything. I mean, the Angels are scary but do something with the characterization while they're being scary >_>, even if it is just "Amy is showing us she's X kind of person" over and over (and no, invisible Scottishness doesn't count).

Episodes, you mean. Plural. Because every finale except for maaaaaaaaaaybe season 2's involved the Doctor going on full messianic mode. Especially season 3.

I mean, I hardly think the show's better these days or anything, but I would definitely say season 4-5 is as close the show comes to being, you know, As Good As They Say.

Episodes, you mean.

I actually meant his goodbye episode, though yes his finales did tend to bend that way.

I hardly think the show's better these days or anything,

Amy and Rory's goodbye episode proves this to be true. /justhadtomentionthiscausethatwasreallydumb

but I would definitely say season 4-5 is as close the show comes to being, you know, As Good As They Say.

I agree aside from the complete destruction of Donna (does it ever end well for these people?) and the Pandorica.

I actually meant his goodbye episode, though yes his finales did tend to bend that way.

Honestly, I find your complaint about the Doctor being weirdly messianic kinda odd, considering that from season 5 and then on, the show seems to constantly imply he's nothing more than a petty 900 hundred year old manchild. 

Amy and Rory's goodbye episode proves this to be true. /justhadtomentionthiscausethatwasreallydumb

ugh

ugggggggh

that episode.

Honestly, I love Amy and Rory, I really do. Like they're really static characters and that's fine in my book (Doctor Who is basically a filmed comic book anyway, so it's not like I expect anything but flashy and fun adventure out of it, anyway) buuuuuuuuuut there's a point when even static characters can't stop being unaware of their surroundings and the people around them. Especially one like the Doctor, whose whole creed is to make people's lives better (In the reboot, anyway) so the fact that there's this perceived notion where the only way to end their run is by practically killing them when the show's newest season starts with them finally settling down in a life without the Doctor is...not a smart move, let's just.

I agree aside from the complete destruction of Donna (does it ever end well for these people?) and the Pandorica.

The way it ended for Donna was pretty bullshit, admittedly, and the whole episode ends up being one of those fanfics that was written by rabid Rose fangirls rather than a natural and seamless conclusion. But for the most part, Season 4 was a strong season. Strong enough for me to not feel like skipping episodes, which I did a lot with Season 2/3.

I still think the Pandorica is the show's strongest finale, though. While the show barely if ever develops the characters, it definitely develops their relationships and how each of them grow closer together is a very natural and seamless arc.