If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• edited 2017-03-14 23:36:57
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @DYRE, @fourteenwings, @Naas_Human: do you recognize this song? http://vocaroo.com/i/s1I6eHJ4iuyZ ; i know it's J-pop of some sort, and it may be associated with The iDOLM@STER and/or Steins;Gate.

Never mind, I got it.  It's "LOST", an iDOLM@STER song.
  • edited 2017-03-21 09:56:54
    Observation: I like at least one J-pop song in each of the 24 keys except B-flat minor, unless you count multi-key works (specifically "Inferno" from iM@S which is in three keys, and probably some D-flat major/B-flat minor stuff).

I can think of three J-pop songs entirely in B-flat minor -- DAYS by Flow, another FLOW song that sounds really similar but was used for Code Geass, and Shounen no Heart -- but I'm not hugely fond of any of them.  Oddly, two of these are Eureka seven songs.  I guess I'm fondest of DAYS, if I had to pick one.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    but I'm not hugely fond of any of them.
    It's so weird how sometimes our tastes converge and then there's just stuff like this.

I can't tell if you mean COLORS or World End but I assume you mean the former.
  • edited 2017-03-21 17:29:59
    It's COLORS.

COLORS struck me as basically a cheesier version of DAYS, with less sense of melodic direction.  A particularly glaring bit is a part of the refrain whose melodic motif just sounds really cheesy, like it feels like it's "overdone", like it doesn't fit with the flow of the melody.  (no pun intended)  It's at 1:09 in this video:
    It's like, that's a point when I'd expect the top notes of melody to go down, and not up, because the chords are going from higher tension to lower tension, and going up would be the exception, but this song just tries to milk that moment for all it's worth and it doesn't feel as effective as a result.
  • edited 2017-03-21 17:34:28
    Meanwhile, the 4th ED, CANVAS by Coolon (or Coolon by CANVAS, or maybe COOLON by Canvas, or Canvas by COOLON, I always get that confused) actually does start on a B-flat minor chord but it's pretty clearly in D-flat major because it just goes Bbm, Gb, Ab, Db, so that counted as D-flat major instead.

But I DO like that song a LOT.

Edit: Also apparently the band name is FLOW and the song names are Colors and Days.

Edit: and the song name is Canvas and the band name is COOLON.

Edit: I have to remember NOT to watch music videos since that makes the songs less appealing to me lol
    It's Canvas by COOLON, IIRC it was written in katakana?

Also DAYS is DAYS and COLORS is COLORS and FLOW is FLOW.
    just sounds really cheesy
    I like FLOW because they aren't afraid to be themselves, which regularly involves being ridiculously cheesy. I mean, in terms of Code Geass I always loved World End more but that doesn't mean I don't like COLORS.
    I have to remember NOT to watch music videos since that makes the songs less appealing to me lol
    Everybody needs to watch FLOW's video for Kaze no Uta. Everybody.

In fact, after taking quite a break from watching music videos, I've been all over them lately. It's how I rediscovered lecca (after her album ZOOLANDER I just wasn't paying attention because no song was as amazing as Clown Love, and then High Street had both believe and woman which are literally the best straight-up J-pop songs this year).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    [04:35:40] @yt Crystal Kay Forever
    [04:35:40] fourteenwings: YouTube: (1/5) — Crystal Kay - Forever -  LIVE2014.02.16: クリスタルケイ スーパーマン YUMI KATSURA 2014 GRAND COLLECTION (+836 more characters)

I didn't hate it, though I felt basically meh toward it.  The music felt somewhat static, like it never really went anywhere.
  • edited 2017-03-23 14:32:09

Edit: I have to remember NOT to watch music videos since that makes the songs less appealing to me lol

But unhelpful music videos are great like an art of their own.

• edited 2017-03-27 03:32:54
    Example of a circle-of-fifths (tonality) playlist:

F major - Blue Field
    Bb major- Believe x Believe
    Eb major- Spring Sky
    Ab major- April
    Db major- Tune the Rainbow
    F# major- Yasashia no Riyuu
    B major - Hajimari no Kaze
    E major - Planetes
    A major - Daisy
    D major - Yakusoku wo Shiyou
    G major - Fay
    C major - ALL IN ALL

Since it is a circle, you can see your media player to "repeat playlist" and it'll work just fine.
    Circle of fifths, but with minor keys, and karaoke versions only (except for one song):

[bonus!] F minor - Hoshi to Hana
    Bb minor - DAYS
    Eb minor - Absolute Soul
    Ab/G# minor - only my railgun
    C# minor - Another Grey Day in a Big Blue World
    F# minor - Chiisa na Hoshi ga Oriru Toki
    B minor - Future (from Kiddy Grade)
    E minor - Innocence (from Mega Man ZX)
    A minor - Beginner
    D minor - Secret Ambition
    G minor - Asu e no Brilliant Road
    C minor - Cruel Angel's Thesis
    F minor - TRY UNITE!

• The most Kalafina of Kalafina songs can be improved by getting vocalists that don't sound so Kalafina.
    ^ I think Magia may be best served by being sung in German, incidentally.

Meanwhile, Nana Mizuki's "BRIGHT STREAM" and "Shuumatsu no Love Song" sound a little curiously similar.
  • Any of the stylistic excesses in PMMM's songs aren't an issue for me since it's not an adaptation, so it's easy to think that the soundtrack really does define the characters and setting on some level.
    I'm confused now, because I thought I was the one who thought Fate/ should sound more Aimer and less Kalafina*.

I haven't really heard a lot of Nana's post SUPERNAL LIBERTY stuff that isn't Symphogear related more than once (courtesy listens), so I'll have to listen to that single more (Eden right?) so I can see if that's true. BRIGHT STREAM was one of the highlights of her career.

*I have never purchased a Kalafina album, and I downloaded a single of theirs once outside of Magia and I never listened to it, seriously.
  • edited 2017-04-03 11:32:36
    Aimer
    No.

I doubt earthmind are still a thing, but there are a couple of bands that could take over for them (weirdly enough I can only think of Lantis people or Mashiro).

Personally, I still think at least /Apocrypha or even /Zero needed lots of Aimer type sounds because they're less hopeful overall than Shirou's stories.
  • Madoka soundtrack always makes me tear up. So many strong emotions tied to that series.
    @fourteenwings I added a whole bunch of songs to that list of mine.
    @Bluesy_Cowgirl
    what is the song that starts like this: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1qNuzD6GgfC
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    sounds like Aerosmith - "Walk This Way"

sometimes I play that riff just for lulz
  • edited 2017-04-04 01:38:42
    sounds like Aerosmith - "Walk This Way"

sometimes I play that riff just for lulz

Yeah, that's the one.

I sang that at Midomi and it failed epically, giving me results like OMATSURI, Watermelon Man, Eastern European Funk, and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    ...Moonlight Sonata?
  • edited 2017-04-04 02:02:59

...Moonlight Sonata?

Here are the results:
    Edit: Here are the results, plus some extraneous formatting introduced by copying into Microsoft Word 2007 then copying back out.  But I'm too lazy to fix it.

OMATSURI

新居昭乃 "Times New Roman"">

JA" lang="JA">ミラクルパワー〜スターダスト・ヴァージョン〜 mso-fareast-language:JA">

中山静香 "Times New Roman"">

Watermelon Man

Herbie Hancock

Eastern European Funk

Inculto

认真 "Times New Roman""> (New)

阿杜 "Times New Roman"">

JA" lang="JA">巫女みこナース・愛のテーマ mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-language:JA">

Chu "Times New Roman"">

Klaviersonate
    cis-moll op. 27, Nr. 2 (Mo

Beethoven,
    Ludwig Van

• Bovarian Mammarian
    weird
    @GMH: Shuumatsu no Love Song and BRIGHT STREAM have a very similar set up, but they're not similar enough to even be two random fripSide songs, I think.

I did not know Cross Ange could have such a palatable ED.
  • edited 2017-04-04 19:02:04
    @GMH: Shuumatsu no Love Song and BRIGHT STREAM have a very similar set up, but they're not similar enough to even be two random fripSide songs, I think.

I did not know Cross Ange could have such a palatable ED.

Yeah the melody starts with a similar motif, the verse has a similar A A B form, and the refrain starts similarly on a flat-VI chord.  Also, BRIGHT STREAM is in F minor, which is one half-step away from F-sharp minor.

Anyway, the first half of Cross Ange has an action-packed Nana Mizuki song as the OP and a slower ballad as the ED, while the second half has another slower ballad as the OP and another action-packed Nana Mizuki song as the ED.  OP1, OP2, and ED2 are all in F-sharp minor.

Meanwhile I think there's a good amount of F minor in my life lately:
    * ViVid Strike OP - "Future Strike" by Yui Ogura
    * ViVid Strike ED (partial) - "Starry Wish" by Inori Minase
    * Chain Chronicle ED - "True Destiny" by ...i forget the name and YouTube isn't being helpful because they takedown'd all the uploads of it Nao Toyama
    I don't know if Fantôme is actually the album the J-pop community (including me) thought it was. I mean, it's innovative (really innovative) and fun, but 2015 was the year of _genic and I still am in love with that album.

I wonder what the big J-pop album of 2017 will be (can't be lecca's High Street, I'm the only one whose heard that).
    Songs I'm Obsessed With Right Now

Forever Dream - Risa from Denpagumi.inc (Aikatsu Stars! Hoshi no Tsubasa
    Light - Tsujimura Yuki (Monster Strike The Animation 2nd Season)
    flower - Aoi Shouta
    @GMH: Rasmus Faber's (TRY UNITE! guy) new duo was the arranger on Nana's JEWEL (from her new album). The songs aren't similar at all, but it's a thing.
    well if he wasn't the one writing the song i'd expect a different, say, harmonic language and melodic style, but yeah