If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Are Bronies Changing the Definition of Masculinity?"

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I'd ask if it is indeed so that gender roles change, or rather that some men enjoy a show for little girls while still adhering to the same roles otherwise.

• That'd be perfect.

though I guess she's in her uniform, which to a layperson probably looks like a cheerleader's outfit.

You mean school uniform or pilot outfit? 'cos, I think the latter looks more like a race queen outfit than a cheerleader's. Which is why it's totally hawt.

That'd be perfect.

Oh yeah, there's also Ultraman Cosmos, where the hero's theme is "true strength comes from gentleness", and he's named after a flower (although "Cosmos" still sounds outer-spacey) I'm not actually sure if it's good, though.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'd describe it as confusing the direction of causation: this fandom event came about because of changing gender roles, not the other way around.

So, if I asked "Is MLP:FIM changing perceptions of gender-specific media?", would the answer be "yes"?

The visual aesthetic [of Mai-HiME] was no more girly than a Kamen Rider show.

However, Mai-HiME is most definitely a show catering toward male viewers.

In any case, no MLP isn't changing the definition of masculinity  at an absolute stretch (and I'm talking about Plastic Man, Mr Fantastic and Elongated Man being stretched to their absolute limits) you could say it's making femininity in men more acceptable.

This is probably what I was thinking of when making this thread.  That said, it's arguably a reworded restatement of the OP video's point -- it's just that you're implicitly presuming "masculinity" and "femininity" to be fixed sets of traits, rather than the OP video which uses the terms to refer to "what stereotypical [men/women] are associated with".

Reminds me: I came across this poorly done fanvid which puts audio from Ultraman Nexus into Madoka Magica footage. Nexus, despite being a high point of manliness in some aspects, did have some girly aesthetic going on. Like the "sparkling" sound effects, the light shows, and how monsters turn into sparkles when they die.

I guess I rather like shows that can be both masculine and feminine.

Your comment and the above one I quoted seem to highlight that we need a good discussion about what, exactly, the terms "feminine" and "masculine" mean.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Your comment and the above one I quoted seem to highlight that we need a good discussion about what, exactly, the terms "feminine" and "masculine" mean.

batten down the hatches men

• edited 2013-02-12 11:51:18

^^ What, things turning into glitter dust isn't girly to you?

Eh, my perspective on things is probably kinda warped anyway.

However, Mai-HiME is most definitely a show catering toward male viewers.

Didn't know that, considering all the relationship drama and relatively weak action early on. (Kagutsuchi in particular deserved more screentime)

^ Well, it's more like, to me, it looks pretty in a bright way, which I guess is something that's stereotypically associated with girls.  But I don't think it's girly by itself.

^^ men only?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

do you see any women besides me in here

no?

didn't think so

• Don't we have at least two more peeps who identify as womenfolk? And that one lurking dudette with the HAL9000 avatar who isn't comfortable discussing genderstuff on a male-dominated forum?

Anyhow, such a discussion would be pretty much an echo of the previous threads if my summary is correct: gender is a social construct, misogyny is bad in meatspace but please don't bother with niche entertainment, SJW peeps do more damage than good, ending in speculation and semantic wank until everybody gets bored and forgets it for the next half year.

• edited 2013-02-12 12:12:11
    a little muffled

Pretty sure Nova just meant in this thread.

Don't we have at least two more peeps who identify as womenfolk? And that one lurking dudette with the HAL9000 avatar who isn't comfortable discussing genderstuff on a male-dominated forum?

Yeah, on the forum we do. Not in this thread.

Yeah, there's a distressing lack of gender balance on this board.

• Hey, I'm the least represented category, unless there's a lot more of you who'd like a "nothing" option for gender-related box-ticking.

^ Well, it's more like, to me, it looks pretty in a bright way, which I guess is something that's stereotypically associated with girls.  But I don't think it's girly by itself.

Eh, guess so. Although if I'm recalling Nexus correctly Ren Sejyu (the third guy who transforms into Ultraman)'s cheery personality would fit in really well with a moe-type series. Besides being a little dead inside.

Say, what do "sometimes a fist, sometimes a flower" and "power that begins from gentleness, that is a hero" sound like to you? (those are lyrics from the Ultraman Cosmos theme)

If you're asking what gender I associate those quotes with, neither.

• edited 2013-02-12 13:22:26

More of a "what does that say about the show" kinda question. 'specially since it comes from an action-driven franchise.

Well, my first question is, does the show actually manifest these ideas?  Or is it just cheap talk in an action show, like Mega Man fighting for everlasting peace?

• edited 2013-02-12 14:22:16

It actually does carry the idea out. Cosmos starts out with two forms, one representing "the gentle light of the blue moon" (or something like that), and the other representing strength. The gentle form being his default state (I think). His finishing moves are "tame/exorcise the monster" or "blow up the monster". He manages to de-evilfy the final boss, even.

Post-series, there's a movie where they try to get the monsters to a new home on another planet.  Also of note is Cosmos reappearing in Ultraman Saga, and there's an exchange that goes like this:

Musashi (Cosmos' human form): The monster was just a little excited (agitated). I tamed it.

Taiga: But what if the monster rampages again?

Musashi: Then I'll tame it again.

Which he does, when the thing comes back. And remember it's "Cosmos" as in the flower.

• You can change. You can.

So, if I asked "Is MLP:FIM changing perceptions of gender-specific media?", would the answer be "yes"?

Possibly? But no more than, say, Bridesmaids, in my opinion.

The issues is that feminine and masculine really don't mean anything outside of physical traits. Everything after that comes from social constructs. You could argue about what these constructs are based on or made off (Girls liking pink, boys liking blue, etc) though, but let's face it, once you get to it, it's a boring checklist that we're all somewhat familiar with. Enough to discuss this topic without having to go to that topic, anyway.

Yeah, I guess.  Though I was trying to gauge how much discussion there might be over how changeable these social constructs are, since just in this thread I can see people using language implying that the constructs are changing and language implying that the changes are simply variations in circumstance relative to the constructs.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

If bronies are changing the idea of masculinity, so are moe fans. 

There's no actual challenge of gender roles or desire to change the status quo. If anything there seems to be more insistence on pushing My Little Pony into an area that doesn't harm their fragile masculinity. Instead of saying 'if watching MLP isn't masculine I don't want to be masculine' they go 'MLP is totally a boys' cartoon! See?'

• You can change. You can.

In my opinion, the constructs aren't chaging so much as how much do they matter. People are starting to realize, at one point or another, that they come from older times and are based in skewed perceptions of reality. The constructs never really change. They just become slightly irrelevant as time goes by. Or at least, that's how I see it from my short experience as a human being. 

...that is so going in my resumé

• edited 2013-02-12 16:58:48
    a little muffled

Experience: 1993-2012: Human Being at Earth

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-12 19:12:40

Nope. They are, however, changing the definition of furry, and of autism.

No more than 50+ posts of sperging over the implications of memes on gender expectations.

I mean really now, this is an unusual occurrence but not exactly a deep one.

Actually, the more unfortunate fact is that this thread gets 50 posts, while a thread I made almost concurrently about sexual harassment and abuse of women in Egypt gets like 2 posts.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I can comment on bronies with more knowledge and less chance of looking like an asshole though.

• edited 2013-02-12 20:14:56
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

You actually have to think a bit to say something about sexual harassment and abuse of women in Egypt.

Ninja'd.

• a little muffled

Just because a topic is important doesn't mean there's really a ton to say about it. Like, what would that thread be if it got more replies? Two pages of "that's horrible"?

• It's because of >no hooves.

In all seriousness, I now remember an interesting article on vigilante anti-harassment bros in Egypt. Dumping it noa.

• Face it; trivialities are the easiest to talk about.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Nope. They are, however, changing the definition of furry, and of autism.

so what you're saying is 

• Unfortunately, I haven't pilfered the worst from the spaghetti threads, but this goes a long way: