If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Roger Ebert Died

edited 2013-04-05 04:25:48 in Meatspace
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

:(

A shame. Part of the reason that I want to be in Film. The greatest film critic ever. He will be missed.

Comments

• They're somethin' else.

I'll always feel a little salty for his (IMO) unwarranted opinion on video games not being art. But when he stuck to his own craft, he was damn good. He will be missed. A great man.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Ebert admitted later on that he wasn't experienced enough to be making those comments.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    If anything his death has given me yet another reason to feel embarrassed by gamers. Seriously a guy who isn't even in the video game business says one dumb thing and folks hate his gut and gloat when he dies?

In the other hand Ebert is an inspiration when you look back and see just how prolific he was. The man was a goddamn machine, cranking out 306 reviews in a year while battling cancer.
  • I don't really care about his opinion of games since he's not qualified to make a statement on them. But he knew his stuff when it came to film and he seemed like a nice enough guy.

• He said as much. Since when was the gaming community so insecure as to completely detest someone who isn't experienced in their craft? He even says art itself has no concrete definition and can be completely irrelevant to a work.

• They're somethin' else.

True. Art =/= automatic merit.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Roger Ebert was one of the early supporters of rap as an art form. It's unfortunate that I didn't know that until after he died (I only learned that yesterday) but still.

I'm not a huge film buff, but he was clearly an intelligent man, and good critics are few and far between. He'll be missed.

• LaiLai
    edited 2013-04-05 14:22:52

I may not have always agreed with him, but Mr. Ebert was a very respectable man.

RIP.

• >Since when was the gaming community so insecure as to completely detest someone who isn't experienced in their craft?

Since forever. Gamer gurls, feminists, marketing departments, casual gamers, soccer moms, dudebros: gaming has and always will be in a state of crisis to the hardcore 'fan', and especially a big name is free game to the underageb& /v/irgins.

• You can change. You can.
    Ebert was the goddamned best at what he did. He was witty, honest and he understood film better than almost any of his contemporaries or succesors. Needless to say, I am saddened by the news.
  • Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Don't think there will ever be another critic of his skill.

• edited 2013-04-07 01:58:27
    Belief

It's sad