If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Maggie Thatcher is dead. Rot In Pieces!

edited 2013-04-08 13:48:49 in General

Mwahahahah! One of the most evil, vile, destructive and racist women in British politics, who tore my beloved country to pieces with her bare hands. 

Comments

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    Out of the know, can soneone tell me about her?
  • Shamelessly stolen from IJBM poster Saigyouji:

Some reasons why Thatcher was so despised (shamelessly stolen from SA poster ReV VAdAUL):

Thatcher worked very hard to make sure Pinochet never faced justice for killing thousands.

She actively tried to undermine talks between the South African government and the ANC that lead to black South Africans being allowed to vote and Mandela being freed.

She privatised water in the UK and overseas. This lead to many being unable to have access to clean water.

She destroyed industry just to undermine the unions.

She brought in the wholly regressive poll tax that overwhelmingly hit the poor hardest.

She brought in "care in the community" and gutted mental health provision leaving thousands of vulnerable people without help or support.

She deliberately underfunded the NHS in an effort to destroy it.

• You can change. You can.

you know this whole shamelessly stealing should be seen to

• Isn't being evil, vile, destructive and racist a prerequisite to being a politician?

• No rainbow star
    Ok can I get links to laws, statistics on stuff she did, etc.? As in solid statistics and laws. I keep hearing completely opposing opinions on her and what she did
  • edited 2013-04-09 09:48:00
    But you never had any to begin with.

I keep hearing completely opposing opinions on her and what she did

That is only to be expected. She's the British Reagan. But, sourced stuff, shamelessly SA plundered:

• No rainbow star
    Thank you for being the first to provide sources

Agreed with Icalasari. Just read a big article showing twitter reactions to her death and it was really 50/50. Confused me.

I don't usually go with Gravedancing except under the most extreme cases, but I think it is a little warranted.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Essentially, she was loved by the rich, and loathed by everyone else.

I can't be on the side of anyone who has thoughts like her's against Homosexuals.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Yeah, I'm usually against gravedancing, but Thatcher was beyond vile. Some terrible people at least seem to have a facsimile of an excuse -- as terrible as even Hitler was, for instance, he appeared to genuinely do what he did out of love for (his idea of) the German people. But Thatcher was a different kind of terrible, a kind very carefully calculated and executed under a benefactor's facade. May she be swiftly forgotten. 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Margaret Thatcher: now officially worse than Hitler!

• There is a lot to be said about a person's motives, afterall, modern day courts are careful to take that kind of thing into account. I believe the interpretation is that, while what hitler achieved was crimes against humanity, the motivation behind said actions were rather pure and simple (betterment of the Germanic people).

• Only the Shadow knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men, and we're not him. I don't think any of us can divine a person's motives.

^^^, see ^^. The idea isn't that either was "worse" or "better", but that motivations are an important consideration, alongside means. History is full of terrible people who believed entirely in the rightness of their cause. What those people did isn't by any stretch good, but it's easy to see where they were coming from; it's the other kind of villain I'm more concerned about, because they gain even more widespread tolerance by hiding their goals and appealing to the lowest common denominator. 

A range of Western presidents and prime ministers haven't been held accountable for their crimes, for instance. CEOs of large multinationals enjoy the same immunity from the law. And those people have done horrible things, even if not directly. A politician, today, isn't often held accountable for a policy that causes widespread damage to medical care, for instance. In fact, the victims of those policies might accept them with open arms. 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You would have to prove Thatcher's motivations have been worse than Hitler's.

That's a matter of interpretation, and I don't want to get bogged down in this "worse than Hitler" thing because it's a historical can of worms (especially given that the Nazi regime took the shape it did because of a collective of like-minded people, so a lot of Hitlerisms don't belong to Hitler and whatnot, but other Nazi officers or politicians with significant influence). 

Some earlier posts in this thread have some great examples of Thatcher targeting people through economic policies, if that's what you're looking for. 

And Hitler's been targeting people through iron sights.

Helping train the Khmer Rouge didn't do that?

Khmer Rouge, as far as I know, is a pretty good example of the villain who did everything for the betterment of mankind. As for Thatcher helping them, surely that would mean her motivations were as pure as Hitler's, right?

• edited 2013-04-09 10:01:16
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

What Saigy said. There's no lack of modern Western leaders who've funded foreign militaries or paramilitiaries in order to achieve something without making themselves the obvious culprit. Even the Obama administration continues to rack up civilian casualties through Predator drone strikes for no other reason that a previous president began an economically colonialist war. And further back than that, the US funding and training of the mujahideen paramilitary as a strike against Russia enabled the incident of 2001, which has given authoritarian elements of Western governments world-over excuses to restrict civil liberties. Apart from ending thousands of lives in one day. 

Hitler was bad, perhaps the worst if you want to count severity in terms of casualties, but the scale of World War II doesn't change the kind of morality we're talking about. Mostly, he's the posterboy for the villainous dictatorial concept. Similar people survive and thrive today, and some of those determine what policies we live under. 

^ To the same extent that US motivations were pure for helping the mujahideen. In that they weren't and she exploited the skills of dangerous-but-naive people for her own benefit. 

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

and now, the rebellious pseudoconservative will rail against popular opinion to grant himself a sense of smug self-satisfaction.

let's watch.

• edited 2013-04-09 10:07:21
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You say it like I am not already full of smugness.

http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/129024-why-street-fighter-the-movie-is-a-cinematic-masterpiece/10-620x.jpg

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

there is something very wrong about that man's hand.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

@MadassAlex & @Saigyouji: As much as most of what you two are saying is true, I find it pretty ridiculous that you should even come close to comparing Thatcher to Hitler. I have an unabashed loathing of that species of race-baiting authoritarian plutocracy and even I would not go that far. Thatcher's policies will continue to ruin people's lives to this day; Hitler's wilfully eliminated a large chunk of the European population. Even if both are evil, the scales and parameters are completely different.

Again, maybe it's the whole queer and Jewish thing flaring up in me, but seriously: Compare totalitarians to totalitarians and leave it there.

I never directly compared Thatcher to Hitler. I was just stating that if you are going to mention Hitler's bodycount, it is amiss to ignore Thatcher's.

• edited 2013-04-09 10:40:21
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^^ This sounds almost like you take my side. 

Dammit, I was just getting into my persona of rebellious pseudoconservative railing against popular opinion for sake of a sense of smug self-satisfaction.

• Motivations are a not a very good thing to judge non-fictional people on.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^^^ Directly? No. But you were flirting with it, enough that I was becoming uncomfortable. You do understand this, don't you?

• I have to say, I find it really funny when one-sentence remarks elicit multi-paragraph responses and stuff.

And yeah, what is there to discuss? They're both shitty people. There's no need to go any further into it than that. None of you owe the world your opinion.