If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Y'know what scares me?

edited 2011-01-17 15:36:27 in General
Because you never know what you might see.
We're on year 2011, 2011 years from the birth of Jesus (ish).

100 years ago, the Ottoman Empire still existed, and planes were a recent invention.

500 years ago, we had the start of the Italian Renaissance.

1000 years ago, we were in Mediaeval times.

2000 years ago, another 1000 years before that, we're in ancient times.

Go back another 500 years.  Still ancient times.

Go back another 500 before that.  Still ancient history.

Go back another, to around 1500 BC, and you're about 50 years into the rule of the Thutmosid Dynasty in Egypt.  This is the iconic Ancient Egypt.  Y'know, Tutankhamun, Akhenaten, those guys.

The Thutmosid Dynasty was the 18th Dynasty of Ancient Egypt, the first of the New Kingdom.  This was preceded by the Middle Kingdom, which lasted about 400 years, and was followed by an extended period of disarray before the establishment of the New Kingdom.  The Middle Kingdom itself was preceded by the Old Kingdom, also known as the Age of Pyramids, which started somewhere between 2691 and 2625 BC.

Going back still further, the ancient city of Uruk was at its height at 2900 BC.

The wheel was invented some time between 4500 and 3300 BC.  Domestication of animals began around 9000 BC.  Pottery existed before 10500 BC.  Behavioural modernity is believed to have developed around 48000 BC.

Anatomically modern humans are thought to have evolved 200,000 years ago.  Human beings in general had already existed for thousands of years prior to that.  The earliest known primate, Plesiadapis, existed between 58-55 million years ago.  This was during the start of the Eocene epoch.  We are now in the Holocene, which began around 10000 BC.

The Eocene was preceded by the 9.5 million year long Paleocene, which was the first epoch of the Paleogene period, which began with a mass extinction believed to have been caused by a meteoric impact at the end of the Cretaceous period, the last time period in which dinosaurs existed.  The Cretaceous period was 80 million years long, making it the longest period of the Phanaerozoic eon.  That's the current eon.

The Phanaerozoic eon began in the Cambrian period, which began around 542 million years ago.  It was preceded by the (much longer) Proterozoic and Archean eons.

I guess what I'm saying is, as far as history and prehistory and geology are concerned, we - that is, modern human beings, Western civilisation, etc. - we're miniscule.

It's just nuts.

Comments

• And the geological history and scale of Earth is way more minuscule compared to that of the universe.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    That's true as well.

Although, actually, I think there's a different kind of awe attached to pre-human prehistory and the universe beyond planet Earth to the awe generated by really ancient civilisations.  The scale of some of these larger distances and periods of time is difficult or impossible to comprehend, whereas early cities like Troy and Uruk (long enough ago that our ancients regarded them as ancient) are just recent enough for the mind to register, while still long ago enough to be awe-inspiring.  I find I get kind of an uncanny valley effect from them.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Wait till we reach the singularity.
  • Clearly we need a clock for every era.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Unvierse Man, Universe Man.
    Size of the entire universe, man.
    Usually kind to smaller men,
    Universe Man.
    He's got a watch with a minute hand,
    millenium hand, and an eon hand.
    And when they meet it's happy land.
    Powerful man, Universe Man.
    Aaaand now that's stuck in my head.
  • edited 2011-01-17 21:20:13
    So? You think those people looked forward and say: "Let's make this so that it'll be vaguely remembered in 2011?" Hell no. They lived in the moment but looked forward for tomorrow. As long as they figuratively saw the next sunrise, they were fine.

Our time on this planet will be short, our histories minuscule. But tomorrow our histories will be /even/ shorter, our times shortened further. 

Scale is nothing. Time is a space that we measure our lives. The past is gone. Life is today.
  • Also technically we are bigger than all the others because we work on their innovations and achievements.

We stand on the shoulders of giants, becoming giants ourselves.
    All well and good, but the past is not completely dead.  It has a legacy that can span for centuries, and it can still trip you up if you aren't prepared for it.

I think that's why really old things creep me out a little.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    IJBM: Centuries-old religious/cultural feuds.
  • The past sucked. It didn't even have internet.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    INORITE.

But the question is, will the future suck more, or less?
  • Depends on how far you go. I don't think the heat death of the universe makes for fun times.
  • "And the geological history and scale of Earth is way more minuscule compared to that of the universe."

Not really. The universe is only about 3 times older than the Earth.

"Wait till we reach the singularity."

This.

"Depends on how far you go. I don't think the heat death of the universe makes for fun times."

Also this.