If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The fib poetic form

edited 2011-05-08 16:12:55 in Meatspace
Because you never know what you might see.
So I've spent the whole Easter holidays trying and failing to come up with something substantial for my creative writing portfolio, for which my submissions have to be "transpositions" from one thing to another.  I had finally decided to adapt the Fibonacci sequence into a poem, and thought I was being really creative and stuff.

Then I found this.

Now there's no way the person marking my work is going to believe I came up with this idea independently, meaning that I haven't transposed anything, merely written a poem in an existing form.  Worse still, the portfolio is in tomorrow, and I still need to write a short story about I don't know what (also has to be a transposition, needs to show some correctly cited "literary" influences, haven't come up with any ideas or felt inspired to write anything of the sort in the past four weeks) and a critical commentary on both story and poem.

Fuck.

Comments

• Wow. That is some terrible luck. Sorry.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Why not do it using ergodic literature then you can transpose physical objects into poems/creative writing?
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure how that will help.  I don't think I can submit anything that isn't on paper, and in any case I need some literature in my bibliography.  I'm already doing it wrong because I haven't got enough books from the reading list (which is extremely extensive and we have to choose texts from it, not read the whole thing), because I spent the holidays catching up on all the reading I was behind on for my English literature course.  Currently my bibliography consists of a couple of maths websites and a science book.

(I didn't mention, I already wrote the poem.  It's in stanzas so it's a lot longer than 6 lines, but it's the same basic idea as the fib.)
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    House of Leaves used ergodic literature and is on paper, (a book kinda counts as just on paper right?)

Anyhow good luck with it all :)!

Also would you care to share the poem, just because I'm curious now?
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Yeah, that counts, but I don't see how it helps, sorry.

Thanks for the luck.

I'll PM you the poem.  I don't want to post it where it can be Googled in case I end up having to submit it, because they might think I plagiarised it.  Apparently they do check these things.