If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Tomorrow I'm picking my friend up at the O'Hare Airport

edited 2011-05-19 19:59:24 in Meatspace
La vie en rose
and I realize I suck at driving. Here are my challenges:

* finding the way. I don't have one of those GPSes that talks at me so I'm relying on Google Maps. Unfortunately, being bad at driving, I concentrate on the road and sometimes forget to turn at the right time. I also have an awful memory for directions and do not want to keep looking at a piece of paper when I should be focusing on the road.
* navigating highways and toll roads. I'm used to city streets. I have to know when to switch to an exit lane and have money ready for the toll machine so I'm not fishing in my pocket for hours.
* navigating the airport. It's labyrinthine....if I take a wrong turn, how the hell am I gonna find my way back?

I'll be leaving early to give me time to work out the kinks. I think I'll manage, but it's annoying to feel so incompetent at what seems like such a basic task.

Comments

• edited 2011-05-20 10:44:01
    Loser
    Yep, leaving really early sounds like a good idea to me. Is there anyone in the area who is good at this kind of thing that you could call in case you get lost? I think that if there is that might help to build your confidence about this kind of thing. My experience with airports is that they do not actually tend to be that difficult to navigate from the inside, but your mileage may vary there.

I guess you can disregard this post if you already left though.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    When is he arriving? If it's anywhere near rush-hour time then I feel really sorry for you.
  • Actually she postponed it till Sunday, which makes things convenient for me, as my dad is picking my uncle up from the airport tomorrow and I'm tagging along.

LouieW, that's a good idea. I think my dad would work nicely.
  • I figured it out :)
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @LouieW: Well especially in busier airports, the traffic might make it difficult to change lanes to take the correct ramps.
  • edited 2011-05-22 15:17:34
    Loser
    Longfellow,
    I figured it out :)

I am glad things worked out for you.

glennmagusharvey,
    Well especially in busier airports, the traffic might make it difficult to change lanes to take the correct ramps.

Yeah, that does make sense to me. I guess I was thinking more of the inside of airports not usually being too hard to navigate, but that might just my fairly unrepresentative experience with airports. I remember that the Twin Cities airport did cause me some problems once though.