If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Humans Are Bastards"

Comments

• If people cannot be held responsible for their conscious actions in some circumstances, then they cannot be blamed (or praised) in all the others, for the reason they are able to choose is that they were lucky enough to avoid such circumstances.

As for cynicism comment, it was meant in regards for the opinion that thinking that humans are bastards is cynical and "edgy" attitude
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    People should be held responsible for their intentional actions, whether or not they could have behaved differently, so that they may behave better in future.

But yes, I do think there is a luck element involved.  If I had grown up in a country with concentration camps, I have absolutely no idea what my opinion of them would be, because I daresay I'd be a vastly different person from who I am today.

As for cynicism, "Humans Are Bastards" usually seems cynical, though in your case it doesn't seem that way.  As with one or two other tropers that spring to mind, in your case it rather suggests high expectations.
  • Might be. If anything, it is a result of excessive idealism for this one.

Thing is, this one can either believe that people can stay decent and true to themselves no matter what. That they can remain honourable and kind no matter what life throws at them.

Or believe that circumstances can break everyone. That what we are is merely a fluke of luck.

This one chooses the first option.
  • edited 2011-06-14 13:28:05
    Because you never know what you might see.
    Fine.  Then I take a third option: circumstances affect how we think and determine what choices we make, but the important part is that we still think and we still choose.

I think it's likely that there are many people who will never cease to be honourable and kind, but that's because their circumstances made them that way.  So they could have turned out bad, but now they never will.
  • If circumstances made them that way, then it matters not. A fluke of luck, no more virtuous than a stingless wasp.
  • edited 2011-06-14 13:32:24
    RE-ANIMATOR
    Free will is entirely illusionary, and even trying to define it would drive you round in circles.
    The actions we take are a consequence of our being acted upon. If you apply the same input, same conditions... you'll always get the same output. Nothing more than a chemical reaction, we are.

But even on a less obnoxiously fine level than that, just remember that none of us works with a blank slate. Even a newborn baby's mind is a mess of pre-packaged programs... some of which are instantly active while others finalise and activate later in life.
    To believe yourself higher than that is a program in and of itself... The truth of the matter is that everything is founded on those core instincts, which form the massive underlying base of everything we are and do. The full sum of human "uniqueness" from one individual to next is but a decorative sprinkle on top by comparison. Irrelevant, pretty little nothings which we can get away with precisely because they are without significant consequence.
    But yet people would deny this.
    And as to why, the answer is obvious:   Pride.  A quite important factor in self-perpetuation. One is generally more willing to self-perpetuate if one believes the self to be special and in full requirement of perpetuation. And so, you will notice, we all in our own ways are pre-programmed to believe ourselves special and unique. A thing we ironically all have in common...
  • That is an entirely logical way of looking at things. Makes perfect sense.

So here's the thing. Either humans are amoral (not immoral! Incapable of morality) set of reactions just like all the other animals, who cannot know better...Or one is going to be idealistic enough to believe that people are capable of knowing better - and thus think that they are bastards.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Humans are capable of morality, due to it being a human construct.

• Given all the recursive discussion on it, it's moar like borality, rite guise?
  • edited 2011-06-14 13:53:31
    RE-ANIMATOR
    Morality is simplification... generalisation.... a bottleneck for choices.
    It is to take judgement and consideration.... processes which, to be done fairly and objectively may take time and effort.... and to rush them through with nary a second thought.  
    It is to insist that every shape in life need fit either through a square or round hole... and if they don't fit easy, the only answer is to pull the hammer out and apply force.  Then those who want to stick the star through the square hole start fighting with those who want to stick the star through the round hole... and honestly, it is all very VERY stupid.

So far as I see it, there is no right or wrong.  There are actions and consequences... many, complex and intertwined.... things we see only the surface of and for which no two views are the same. And while most want to avoid the pain by trying to simplify the tangled web into square / round holing, I prefer to... y'know.... think things through. I see a star shape, and I put it where I think a star shape would look nice...
  • edited 2011-06-14 15:00:02
    >If circumstances made them that way, then it matters not. A fluke of luck, no more virtuous than a stingless wasp.

Did the wasp choose to be stingless?

Not that it matters a great deal, anyway; a good person is not higher in my esteem than a stingless wasp for being equally harmless, but for their thoughts and emotions.

>Free will is entirely illusionary, and even trying to define it would drive you round in circles.
    >The actions we take are a consequence of our being acted upon. If you apply the same input, same conditions... you'll always get the same output. Nothing more than a chemical reaction, we are.

Literally any process can be made to sound stupid and arbitrary if you reduce it to the chemical processes responsible.  Thankfully, that is not the only way to view the world.

Free will is the ability to make choices.  To weigh up two or more options and select the one preferred.  The fact that your circumstances and personality will ultimately determine which one it is that you prefer does not change this.

>Either humans are amoral (not immoral! Incapable of morality) set of reactions just like all the other animals, who cannot know better...Or one is going to be idealistic enough to believe that people are capable of knowing better - and thus think that they are bastards.

I disagree. This is a false dichotomy.  We can know better, by learning.  Who is superior - the person who happens to prefer that which is right, or the person who instinctively prefers that which is wrong but, due to circumstances and experiences, has come to regard that which is right as worthwhile, in spite of the gratification which doing the wrong thing would offer?  That our moral decisions are the product of our experiences does not invalidate them.

Either way, it is unnecessary to think anyone a bastard for something which they haven't personally done.

>Morality is simplification... generalisation.... a bottleneck for choices.

Only if your morality is overly limiting and is not equipped to handle diverse situations.

Morality enables one to make decisions consistently.  There is nothing admirable about inaction or randomness.
  • Morality is always overly limiting. There are always situations it is not equipped to handle. The most it can ever account for are prior experiences... for which every new experience finds it unprepared.
    Don't go assuming consistency is always desirable. Goals change, routes change, and even a single route to a single goal can turn several times in several directions.
    Inaction and randomness are neutral, by and by. They're neither especially likely to move away from a goal nor towards it, but rather stay put.  Maintaining that neutrality when one would normally have a strong bias one way or other is definitely admirable.
    I think you are generalising far too much.  Are you acquainted with every possible system of morality?  Have you thought of every possible situation?

If not, I don't see how you can possibly make such statements with such confidence.

And yes, flexibility is good, as is keeping an open mind.  But that's not the same as just doing whatever without regard for the consequences, or doing nothing whatsoever.
  • Generalising about generalising. How recursive we're getting. ^_^
    I don't have to be acquainted with every possible snowflake to know that they all have six sides. We're talking definition, practically. Generalisation and simplification are what morality are...  without which it is not morality at all, but merely consideration and judgement.  It is morality itself that has no regard for consequences. 
    A moral person might not kill because "it is wrong" (a meaningless statement) where an amoral person would not kill in that particular circumstance because the consequences of doing so would inevitably be less desirable than the sum benefits of doing so. One just makes the situation fit a pre-made judgement, while the other shapes their judgement around the situation in as much detail as one can muster.
    More importantly.... you can tell the moral person apart from the amoral person by asking if they would do something... the moral person has already made their mind up without knowing the details of the situation, and could give a straight answer... while an amoral person will more likely answer that there is insufficient information to know what they would or wouldn't do.

Nobody is absolutely moral nor amoral ... We need to simplify things in order to actually progress through existence, afterall....   But the gross oversimplification that plagues most does nobody any favours.
  • edited 2011-06-14 15:22:20
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Honestly those WAHH HUMANITY SUX threads all over the Internet bug me. Yes, people do bad things. Welcome to the real world.

^^ Don't argue with him. 
  • ^ This is a discussion, not an argument.
  • Honestly those WAHH HUMANITY SUX threads all over the Internet bug me. Yes, people do bad things. Welcome to the real world.
  • edited 2011-06-14 15:24:55
    ^^ Apparently we define morality differently, so I see no point in arguing this further anyway.

Your definition of morality excludes anything which I would consider particularly useful, so to debate it with you would be pure semantics.
  • edited 2011-06-14 15:24:35
    RE-ANIMATOR
    ^ See ^^^.
  • edited 2011-06-14 15:30:04
    Yes, I read your post.  Although you and Bob are both ninjas.

But I don't really see how we can have a discussion of morality if you are to presume that all instances of the terms "moral", "right" and "wrong" are derived from generalisations and simplifications, as that is not what I mean when I use those terms.

Also, do you use a different name on the TV Tropes forum?  You don't have to say which if you don't want to, I just wondered.  You remind me of somebody.
  • Duh, he's Tongpu. He couldn't make it more obvious if he tried. I'm ashamed of you, Kwar- Khawa- Kamehame- Bobby.
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
    Eh?  I thought Tongpu wasn't English.
  • Neither is Soti. They're / He's Norwegian.

But seriously, they're the same.
  • edited 2011-06-14 15:37:02
    A British Tongpu? O_O

Now I've seen everything.

Or a Norwegian Tongpu?  STOP BEING CONFUSING.
  • Firstly, I have no idea who this Tongpu is.... but I was compared to said person in the thread which brought me here (i.e. the big mockery thread)...

Secondly... I can't imagine many definitions of "morality" other than my own that aren't entirely redundant.
    Tongpu's just another troper who has similar views on morality.  Don't worry about it.  And I don't think I saw that thread, unless I've forgotten it.  I took a break from IJBM recently.

Hm... Is it redundant to define morality as any code of behaviour by which a person determines the courses of action which will best further that which they desire above all else?
  • edited 2011-06-14 15:51:13
    RE-ANIMATOR
    When you word it like that, it doesn't sound like your definition is all that different to mine... despite your claim to the contrary.

If you want to see the thread in question... where I first showed up... just stick my name in the search-bar. It is quite amusing, all in all.
    My definition does not include generalisations or simplifications as a requirement.  A moral code can be broad, complex and/or flexible.

Found the thread.  Looks like Myr didn't learn from the notedscholar incident.
  • edited 2011-06-14 15:59:23
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    I take a sort of interesting version of this stance, in particular I believe that humans are extremely flawed, not bastards, but also that flaws are evil.

This is is different from an over generalization in that I can genuinely say that there is no human alive today that has met standards which would be good enough for me to call them good enough.

• This may be because I got about five minutes of sleep last night and I'm not parsing your comment correctly, but that makes no sense whatsoever.