If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Netflix's plan/pricing change

edited 2011-07-12 12:47:44 in General
ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ

Comments

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Dear God, they could at least TRY to be subtle with their blatant money grabs, couldn't they...?
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    Well, this is going to make things tough.
  • ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ
    Admittedly, their streaming selection is shit, except for TV seasons, but still, for crying out loud....
  • Boo fucking hoo.

Companies exist to make profit. This is simply an example of that.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Meh, doesn't affect me. I'm happy with my unlimited streaming.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Meh, not really a big deal.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Companies exist to make profit. This is simply an example of that.

Really? We really don't have any right to oppose a corporation's decisions if they're profit-motivated?
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Of course not. Now bend over, Citizen. 
    Of course you have to right to oppose a corporation's decisions. It's called taking your business elsewhere. As for me, my grandmother-in-law is the one with the subscription. So it's her choice. She has a Wii so she'll probably go with both.
    Okay, so it seems like this isn't entirely Netflix's fault. Still, this is a particularly annoying bit of price gouging.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I have a streaming only account and have no intentions of upgrading, so this doesn't bother me too much.
    Seriously though, cancel your subscription if it bothers you that much. Apparently, a few people claim to be doing that. So a loss in subscriptions will teach them a lesson. Maybe.
  • "Really? We really don't have any right to oppose a corporation's decisions if they're profit-motivated?"

When the decision is barely any more expensive than it originally was, yes.

• edited 2011-07-12 13:16:08
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    But, Netflix is really the only service of its kind available, and if not the only, it has the largest catalogue of titles. 

And it's the only one that comes with a console version.

When the decision is barely any more expensive than it originally was, yes.

Not for you, maybe.

And the new 1-DVD plan costs just as much as the 3-DVD plan used to. That's a substantial increase.

That's a monopoly for you.

Man, I hate that board game.

• edited 2011-07-12 13:19:51
    ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ
    When the decision is barely any more expensive than it originally was, yes.

Streaming + 1 DVD before: $9.99 a month

Streaming + 1 DVD after: $14.99 $15.98 a month

Those start to add up.

EDIT: Whoops, I messed up.
  • You can change. You can.
    Wow...that's a big damn increase. /Nothing else to contribute.
  • Compare that 22$ just to have 2 games out in Gamefly.
    And it's that much to rent one game from Gamestop. So I suppose Gamefly is perfectly fine with those prices, right? 
    Yes, but there being something wrong-er out there does not justify something bad happening.
    I was being sarcastic. 
    I meant Chagen, Bob slave.
    Hey! That's only on the weekends! 
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    See, here's the thing. The entire movie industry is terrified of Netflix because Netflix makes most of it obsolete. Hence, demanding larger fees from Netflix in the hopes that people will stop using it.

I see. One industry trying to screw another industry.

Capitalism!

Clearly, we can solve this crisis by lowering corporate taxes.
    LOL! Oh man, that's the funniest economic joke I've heard today.
    See, here's the thing. The entire movie industry is terrified of Netflix because Netflix makes most of it obsolete. Hence, demanding larger fees from Netflix in the hopes that people will stop using it.

I don't see it how it is a threat. Yet again, I don't know how Netflix works, so...elaborate, please?
  • edited 2011-07-12 13:45:34
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Netflix is already looking into content production. They tried to buy the rights to continue Firefly awhile back.

Should they succeed, the current structure of the movie industry will no longer need to exist.
  • I love you piracy.