If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Assimilation

edited 2011-08-08 16:26:44 in Politics
This practice just seems unethical, Nationalistic, Monocultural et cetera I just don'tget it just plain immoral to enforce this sort of thing.

Comments

• ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ
    YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

• I should have put "No Star Trek Jokes please"
  • I'm a damn twisted person
    You know I really wouldn't mind some sort of assimilation plot if it was voluntary and I had the ability to turn it off and function as an individual if I wanted.
  • edited 2011-08-08 16:29:31
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

^^nope.avi
  • Glaives are better.
    I see no problem with it. So long as the social contract is not violated, assimilation is perfectly acceptable.

• I should have put "No Star Trek Jokes please"
    Yeah, that way you would have virtually guaranteed you'd get Star Trek jokes!
  • not really. it essentially enforces social authoritarianism and monoculturalism creating a system of coercive conformity.
    Well assimilation does play merry hell with parts of the social contract concerning privacy and control of information.
  • Glaives are better.

The contract between government and people is that the government will protect and police the populace, and in exchange is given regular offerings in the form of taxes. 

I see little reason why extending that contract to people of a different nation should be considered immoral, so long as the contract is maintained and the people are treated better than under their previous contract.

We're not talking about Assimilation Plots are we?
  • Glaives are better.
    I'm talking about the Tau expansions. What are YOU talking about?
  • enforcing that they abandon their cultures and lifestyles is just plain wrong man taxes are one thing they are a necessary evil but should be kept at a minimum. We're talking about Monoculturalism.
  • Glaives are better.

That's different then.

Dude, people form their own little sub groups ridiculously easily. People will differentiate themselves from others on the opposite side of the same city. All the little cliques that develop in schools and offices. Outside of some sort of fantastic handwave for mindcontrol, the idea of monoculturalism is just silly.
  • I put part of the Blame on Nixon and his fucking culture wars.
  • Glaives are better.

Better Off Ted had a great episode about this very thing.

Although nations do have to be united in some way. Otherwise they're just lines on a map.

• The only uniting force I care about is liberty.
  • Glaives are better.
    That's not a uniting force, bro. A love for liberty would be a uniting force.