If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

American Chinese restruants

edited 2011-08-11 19:16:17 in General
They are ubiquitous in the States, almost as much as McDonald's. Every single one of them is identical, as if they're all by one company trying to avoid franchising laws or there's a Brill's Bible of "Chinese" restruants being passed around. They look as stereotypically Chinese as possible - red and gold, dragons and bonsai trees everywhere, giving the restruant this Fu Manchu look that's out of date and a bit offensive. The food consists of dishes taken from random east Asia countries Americanized to hell and back. Everything is fried, slathered in fat and cooked with very Western ingredients like tomatoes, broccoli and dairy products, and mediocre versions of purely American foods like chips/fries and pizza are often served alongside. It's served lukewarm and underseasoned, and despite the blandness it's extremely high in sodium. At the end of your meal, you're given a "fortune cookie", a hollow shell that tastes like sweetened styrofoam with a faux-Confucious saying typed on a piece of paper inside it. So why do I keep coming back to these places?

Comments

• I went to a few stateside Chinese restaurants once. I have yet to visit one that got Wonton soup right.
  • Whenever I see actual Chinese individuals working there I feel a need to ask what regions the specific forms of cuisine come form.
  • And I LOVE em.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Well, I suppose American Chinese restaurants could serve ACTUAL Chinese food. But I don't think many would like to eat frogs or dogs. 
  • Electric Boogaloo
    A lot of Chinese restaurants around me are actually family-owned, so make of that what you will.

And my Chinese uncle actually makes some bangin' Chinese food.
  • edited 2011-08-11 22:15:38
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    The good thing about living in New Jersey is that you get a lot of great foreign food. Especially Mexican, Italian, and Thai food. Surf Taco® is the greatest restaurant ever.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I generally like these places.

Then again, my parents can read Chinese and they know what to order.  Stuff like:
    * Singapore-style stir-fried rice noodles (delicious curry-flavored pan-fried noodles dish, typically comes with shrimp, scrambled eggs, and a few other ingredients)
    * "dry fry" beef noodles (wide rice-noodles stir-fried with beef and typically pieces of scallions and these bean sprouts that I don't know the name of)
    * scallion pancakes (not really "pancakes" but just flat dough that incorporates pieces of scallions, pan-fried)
    * a stir-fried noodle dish with pork, specifically one that, when done properly, ends up with a special kind of noodle part crispy and part juicily moistened with a topping of pork cooked with various vegetables
  • When I go to the west coast, I should totally try what people are calling the perfect American-Chinese fusion: fried wontons.
  • Glaives are better.

I go to Chinese restaurants all the time. Yes, the cheesy ones, with the cooks and waiters howling in Mandarin in the kitchen while they cook up a sweet, salty, spicy dish of fried chicken and broccoli. When I'm in a hurry, I go to the chain restaurants and get takeout from Mexicans who look as Asian as I do.

And do you know why?

Because it's tasty and nourishing.

Food is supposed to be tasty and nourishing.

• You're Asian too?
  • edited 2011-08-11 22:27:34
    Electric Boogaloo
    What kind of Chinese places are we talking about?

Americanized chains like PF Chang's?
    Standard delivery chinkslop joints?
    One-off sit-down restaurants, usually with a buffet?
    Chinatown shop with ducks strung up in the windows?
    Or what? All of the above?

@Hatter: I agree wholeheartedly. And while it's not technically Chinese, Mongolian Barbecue is the greatest food ever.
  • Glaives are better.
    My dad is Hawaiian, so no.
    ^^ Probably the second.
  • Glaives are better.
    Technically, I count most Chinese restaurants (including those owned by legal Chinese immigrants) as American, unless they're owned by a foreigner.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    The reason why people keep coming to these places: MSG.

But seriously, this stuff is pretty much one of my biggest guilty food pleasures. I know it's unhealthy, I know it makes a mockery of all Asian cuisine BUT DAMMIT GIVE ME THOSE DUMPLINGS ARGHGBLARGARBLE!

Also, in actual Chinatowns some restaurants have a hidden menu that the locals eat from. That's where the real Chinese food is.
  • When I was visiting Yellowstone, we went to something called Panda Express. They nailed down the basic recipes, at least.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    American Chinese food has its roots in the Chinatowns of the Old West, when the immigrants working on the railroads would market their "exotic" food to Mr. Whitey as a way to get a quick profit and make up the difference of their low salaries. General Tso's chicken? Invented in America.

Real Chinese and American Chinese certainly are different, but that doesn't actually mean one is better than the other. Think of it like Mexican and Tex-Mex.
    ^^ That place is kinda like the Subway of Chinese food. 
  • Glaives are better.
    That's why I count Chinese food as an American invention. 
  • Electric Boogaloo
    ^But Sesame chicken is still the shit.
    You're right, it is shit.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    LOLNEVERSEENTHATJOKEBEFORE!!

Sesame chicken is the heart and soul of all chinkslop. That, orange chicken, sweetnsour chicken, and beef/pork fried rice.
  • What you did there, I see it.
  • Glaives are better.

I had sesame chicken for lunch today.

It was tasty.

• Now I'm hungry for this stuff.
  • edited 2011-08-11 23:36:05
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Protip: MSG occurs naturally in many foods.  Additional MSG being added to food is also not unique to Chinese or Japanese food; you'll find it in Doritos.

> Americanized chains like PF Chang's?

I actually don't like these as much.  They're basically U.S.-American takes on Chinese dishes, with annoying results.

Yes, I dislike P.F. Chiang's.  I don't care how fancy their frontal sculptures are.

> Standard delivery chinkslop joints?

If by this you mean those half-crappy-looking fast food joints, I usually patronize these only if they have reasonable prices (by reasonable I mean $5 or less for a lunch entree), and I like them because the food is half decent.  It might be overflavored and oversalted, but at least I know I'm getting decent amounts of starch, fiber, and protein in my diet--the same cannot be said of stereotypical U.S. cuisine like burgers.

(Also, watch ya language.)

> One-off sit-down restaurants, usually with a buffet?

These are generally nice, but depend on the chef.  You're likely to get menus with actual Chinese here--along with chefs who actually know how to cook real Chinese food to a good standard of quality.

> Chinatown shop with ducks strung up in the windows?

These tend to have roughly the same quality as the third or second category, depending on the shop.  That said, if you do get whatever's strung up in the windows (generally one or more of the following: roast duck, roast pork, barbecue pork, and various styles of chicken), it's almost guaranteed to be awesome.  Assuming you know how to separate meat from bones, of course.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    >Real Chinese and American Chinese certainly are different, but that
    doesn't actually mean one is better than the other. Think of it like
    Mexican and Tex-Mex.

Taste wise, yes I can agree. And I can understand why the Americanized stuff is so popular, many traditional Chinese dishes just do not mix with the Western palette. However, real Chinese food has actual heritage behind it, rather than the pretense of one.

Mind you, this is coming from someone who has watched way too much No Reservations.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Sesame chicken is decent.  I rarely get General Tso's because I'm not a huge fan of spicy food (though I eat some, usually when I eat Mexican food).
    I love spicy food, which is why Mexican food is my favorite. But oddly, I hate Indian food.