If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Notch and the "Scrolls" lawsuit.

edited 2011-08-17 20:51:36 in General
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/9038258448/hey-bethesda-lets-settle-this

I am back, and I am excited.

Marriage has been wonderful so far, and nobody sabotaged my computer while I was gone.

The only negative thing going on at this moment is the Scrolls trademark lawsuit nonsense, and I think I came up with the perfect solution:

Remember that scene in Game of Thrones where Tyrion chose a trial by battle in the Eyrie? Well, let’s do that instead!
I challenge Bethesda to a game of Quake 3. Three of our best warriors against three of your best warriors. We select one level, you select the other, we randomize the order. 20 minute matches, highest total frag count per team across both levels wins.

If we win, you drop the lawsuit.

If you win, we will change the name of Scrolls to something you’re fine with.

Regardless of the outcome, we could still have a small text somewhere saying our game is not related to your game series in any way, if you wish.

I am serious, by the way.

1. You and Bethesda can't legally do that, and all it does is make you look a manchild.The world isn't like a shonen anime.

2. You were the one who tried to trademark "Scrolls". Either your trademark is invalid or Bethesda's lawsuit is valid.

3. Bethesda and I.D Software are owned by the same company. They can send Carmack.

Edited the OP.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Technically speaking, it's not copyrighted, but trademarked

Really, I see this as answering silliness with silliness.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    "trademark"

Can this term be simplified for me? All the sources I am reading are making me derp
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    "copyright" = something you put on a work, so that people can't call it or a significant part of it their own, and can't use it for profit without your permission.  Generally lasts several decades at least, or up to many decades past the creator's death.

"trademark" = something you put on a name or design so that people can't use it to identify their own thing.  I think this lasts for five years unless you actively defend it, in the US.

"patent" = something you put on an invention to prevent other people from profitting from it early in its lifetime.

You'd put a trademark on Mickey Mouse, a copyright on Steamboat Willie, and a patent on a movie-playing device you've invented.
  • >3. Bethesda and I.D Software are owned by the same company. They can send Carmack.

I would pay money to see that.
  • Poot dispenser here
    Yeah, but remember that they don't have John Romero anymore. He used to play Doom DM a lot.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    In order to be able to defend your own trademark, you must first have your "ducks in a row", so to speak. This means that, you have chosen a "strong" trademark that will identify your company to the public. A strong trademark is one that specifically applies to a company, a brand name, a logo, et cetera. PEPSI, COKE, GENERAL MOTORS, DELL, and CBS are all examples of strong trademarks. When you hear any of these words, you think specifically of a certain company and the products and / or services they offer.

I doubt anyone has used the word "Scrolls" synonymously with "The Elder Scrolls". They don't have much leg to stand on.

• ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ
    See, if it was the word "Oblivion", I'd be more willing to agree with them, since the game has been referred to as just Oblivion.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    So a trademark on Band Aids is kind of the same, or "Sammich"? Since there is a sub-sandvich line that actually is named Sammich.
    Well, "band-aid" is a genericized trademark; the trademark still exists even though it's now vernacular for any adhesive bandage.

I don't know about Sammich.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I think Band Aids is more like Hoover's case...
  • edited 2011-08-17 23:25:21
    Edited the OP. I was trying to say what V said, but fucked up by using "copyright".
    Actually, come to think of it, I think the trademark is invalid AND Bethesda's lawsuit is invalid.