If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

World of Warcraft

edited 2011-09-05 05:10:20 in General
It doesn't feel like a "world". It feels like a giant arena. The NPCs don't feel like they have lives outside of giving me quests and despite that one-paragraph blurb before every quest, there doesn't feel like there's a backstory or context to anything.  Azeroth is huge, but the design feels so minimalist.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Not really. Mainly because at lower levels I just felt like they were ordering me around like a pawn, so I developed the habit of thinking of them as if they had lives around me then.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I dislike WoW because I think it's boring.
  • >MMORPG
    >fun

Good luck with that.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Not really, with the new way quests are being presented in Cataclysm avoids the whole "story in the quest text" problem. And even when you're a veteran who's explored the world twice over, there's still always something to do.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I still enjoy WoW.
  • $80+ per session
    I still enjoy it, but I haven't played in a while.

When I get a new computer, and get the two most recent expansions, I'll start playing again.
  • People still play this game?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Like ten million people still play it.
  • 10 million?

What rubbish!

Habberdash!

Humbug!

• $80+ per session
    With 11.1 million subscribers as of June 2011,[11] World of Warcraft is currently the world's most-subscribed MMORPG,[9][12][13] and holds the Guinness World Record for the most popular MMORPG by subscribers.[14][15][16][17]
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    They count people who used to subscribe, such as me.
  • Meh, it's about as good at world-ness as an MMO is going to get.  The Cataclysm revamps to the old world helped considerably.
  • Their whole community is shit.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    That's a constant in online communities, actually.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-09-05 21:11:27
    Yeah, that's nothing new at all.

RP servers tend to be pretty chill though, whether or not you're into roleplay.  The naming policies there also mean you don't see a ton of Legolazz and Pwnersauce running around, and that's always a plus -- less of an eyesore, drives away the type of people who would do that, and general rise in literacy as a result.
  • No, I mean.

Their community is THE WORST.

I've played Runescape, Eve Online, and I tried the WoW trial.

• edited 2011-09-05 22:26:30
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^I must be on some backwards ass server then. I hardly see anything too bad outside the rare trade chat shenanigans.
  • Yeah man, I dunno.  I was never on Runescape, but what I remember of Eve was pretty shitholey.

I miss Barrens chat though.