If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When you give a CD as a present, is it okay to rip it first?

edited 2011-09-15 07:53:06 in Meatspace
Diet NEET

I always solve this dilemma by ripping it, then wrapping it up as a gift again. I can claim I bought it secondhand anyways. What are IJBM's thoughts?

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    The eternal fucking dilemma, seriously.

I have nothing to contribute.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Personally, I think that's kind of lame. The whole point of getting a present for someone is that you're doing it out of generosity, but when you make a copy of it its like you're really doing it for you and then trying to win karma points, and it just kinda feels phony.

Granted, maybe its not so bad if the thing actually was secondhand, but if you bought it brand new then the recipient should have the pleasure of removing the plastic.
  • You can change. You can.
    I normally just give it to them and ask them if they can lend it to me later. (Obviously, I don't ask as I give them the gift. That'd look bad)
  • <- Implying CommandoDude would actually purchase music.

On a CD no less

• I normally just give it to them and ask them if they can lend it to me
    later. (Obviously, I don't ask as I give them the gift. That'd look bad)

This would be the proper way to go about it, in my opinion. Otherwise you're not really buying them a gift, you're buying something for yourself and then pawning it off to them later. Regifting a self-gift, as it were.

• a little muffled
    Why not just pirate a copy for yourself? Exactly the same end result, but without having to do that.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    I like to rip music personally because that way I can be sure I'm doing it right and the tracks are all labeled and sorted as per my preferences.

Also, what's wrong with buying music on CD?
    Implying CommandoDude would actually purchase music.

On a CD no less

Nobody implied that because nobody cares about how you get your music. 

[trollface.jpg]
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    ^^ It's too high-quality. 
  • edited 2011-09-15 17:22:58
    "Nobody implied that because nobody cares about how you get your music. 

[trollface.jpg]"

Fixed
    Truth be told, I tacked it on because I didn't want to seem overly aggresive. 
  • I'm Scottish. We're the most aggressive people around :P
  • edited 2011-09-15 19:54:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well, if you're Scottish, can you explain what makes Demoman a good demoman?

or why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?
  • Because there's cinnamon sugar SWIRLS in every bite!

Pay attention! D:<
  • ^ That's the answer to both your questions.