If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Site demographics

edited 2011-09-21 19:49:18 in Media
Kamen Rider MADOKA
Specifically, I wonder why certain sites like Livejournal and Tumblr have a very large female user base. Is there something that makes those havens of female nerds, whilst women are virtually non-existent in the bowels of the Internet?

Comments

• Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Well, yes, there's that rather misogynistic streak you find on memetic sites. I want to know why LJ and Tumblr have the girls. All of them.

And you know very well I'm a dude.
  • Luck?

I mean, look at tv tropes. The wrestling and anime presence was started by one or two people.

It only takes a few people to spread their influence like that, and to smother out the others.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Well, there's luck, but I'm looking for the underlying social causes for this.
  • Which communities do you hang out in?
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Other than here, I also go to a toku community, the MSPA forums (which also have a large female user base given Homestuck) and a few 4chan boards.
  • edited 2011-09-21 20:21:39
    If I remember correctly, Tumblr, Henshin Justice, AltHistory, MSPA Forums, 4Chan, and some others which I don't know.

Ninja bastard. ;P
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    I don't touch AH for now.

• edited 2011-09-21 20:22:46
    Loser
    Kinkajou,

I am not sure if this is still true, but I thought that it was more common for women to keep diaries and make scrapbooks and such in real life than men. I think that might help explain the demographics on Livejournal a bit. I am not sure about possible reasons for Tumblr's demographics though.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    True. Women seem to blog a lot while a lot of fora can be described as frat boy rooms.

Tumblr's a lot like a diary too, except you can post pics.
  • edited 2011-09-21 21:06:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    As for TVT, there ARE a lot of animé fans on the internet in general, so that's not a surprise.  Perhaps a bigger surprise is wrestling.

As for LJ, I think girls seem to be very interested in fanfics for some reason.
  • One must also factor in the topic of discussion. Obviously stuff catering to "masculine" interests will have forums that are predominantly male in demographic, and I have seen female-dominated forums. Part of the perception of no females is selection bias in this regard.