If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Italian town accusing Seismologists of manslaughter

edited 2011-09-21 20:40:53 in General
Essentially, they are being sued because they couldn't predict an earthquake. something that is, you know, not possible to do with current technology.

Comments

• People will sue for anything.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    The stupidity of this lawsuit is...

* sunglasses *

earth-shattering.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Well, I have to say the fact that I'm on the side of the scientologists... (puts on sunglasses) really shook me up.

On a side note, did anybody else think it was really hypocritical of South Park to criticize the Scientologists for believing craaaaaazy things then defend the Mormons on the terms of Freedom of Religion?
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^It's seismologists not scientologists.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    On a side note, did anybody else think it was really hypocritical of South Park to criticize the Scientologists for believing craaaaaazy things then defend the Mormons on the terms of Freedom of Religion?
    To my knowledge, Mormonism wasn't openly founded as a cash grab.
  • ^^^ Wonderful if completely irrelevant
  • And the Church of Mormon is less of a cult.
    ^^^^Oh..... Hur hur me brain no work when drunk.

^^^Erm, yeah it was. It's more 'legitimate' now but it was just as much of a scam when it started. In a century or too, there's no proof scientology won't also be a 'real religion. Besides, a lot of the jokes were about how crazy what they believed in. The cash grab might be a genuine complaint, but surely scientologists have every right to their crazy beliefs mormons do.

^Erm, not in Utah.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Erm, yeah it was. It's more 'legitimate' now but it was just as much of a scam when it started
    Is the founder recorded as having actually said that he didn't care about anything but money? 

Being as obvious a scam as Scientology isn't easy.
    Irrelevant. Just because it isn't as obvious a scam  doesn't make it not a scam.
  • edited 2011-09-21 22:28:58
    ^^ Give that Ponzi dude some credit (incidently, he was Italian. Which ties back to the topic. We've gone full circle)
  • Was discussing the article with one of my friend. And if the seismologists are found guilty, this opens a whole new field of frivolous lawsuits in Italy: You can be sued for not doing something that is impossible to do in the first place. So many ways to use this!

Sue a watchmaker for manslaughter for not inventing a time machine to be used to go kill Hitler. It was his job to retroactively prevent World War 2 damnit!

Sue a taxi driver for making you arrive late at your appointment across town in 30 seconds. His fault for lacking FTL technology.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    All I can say is I'm glad I don't live in such a backwards hick place like Italy. Sad, I always thought they were such a refined culture too.
  • edited 2011-09-22 04:26:19
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    It's entirely possible you shouldn't judge the entirety of Italy by a single town.
  • edited 2011-09-22 04:23:42
    no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    It's entirely possibly you shouldn't judge the entirety of Italy by a single town.

It's entirely possibly entirely you shouldn't rely on such a possibly entirely redundant verbiage, possibly.

Now let's talk about scientologists again. Possibly. Entirely.
    Rather than address the argument you pick on a typo.

Classy.

Dantes playing the victim card in ten, nine, eight...
    Possibly. Entirely. Possibly.
    Indubitably.
    Shut up I'm high. Possibly.
    substantially
    Regrettably?
    Incredibly.
    Incredible Edible Eggingly?
  • Wait a minute.

I thought we could predict Earthquakes. How else do we evacuate people when we believe one is going to happen?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
  • edited 2011-09-22 10:25:26
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    It's entirely possible you shouldn't judge the entirety of Italy by a single town.
    Having been to Italy, I can confirm that the country seems to think this whole "electricity" thing is a passing fad.

^^We can say "an earthquake will happen here in the next few decades...probably."
  • The Italian judicial system is kind of politicised - for example, one reason Berlusconi keeps being put on trial for fraud and sex with minors is because there are judges and prosecutors who are beholden to his political opponents (another is because he's corrupt and bangs lots of random women, of course).

Given the background, you have to suspect there's some political motivation here, if only to provide scapegoats.

• edited 2011-09-22 13:00:15
    Given the background, you have to suspect there's some political motivation here

Damn pro-earthquake lobby.