If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

That Feeling You Get When You Realise You Will Probably Never Achieve Your Life's Major Ambitions

edited 2011-10-21 04:26:42 in General
That's not to say I'm giving up on publishing an urban fantasy graphic novel series with Image which will be so popular I end up writing Spider-Man for Marvel. It's just that chances are, I'll never actually manage it.

Hmmm

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Similarly...

>That feeling when you realize that all the work you've been performing is worthless and it won't help you achieve what you want. Probably

Yeah. Same train, Conductor.
  • Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
    I don't know that feel bro.

:3
  • edited 2011-10-21 09:22:28

"Probably"

Key word. Does the potential benefit outweigh the risk of failure?

• No rainbow star
    I'm currently trying to get a job with a game company
    as an intern (best to get my foot in the door now so that, even if they don't hire me, later when I apply again they recognize me frok before and my persistance). My major ambition is to get Cryscon out there in some form

Even if I never get hired by a game company (...which would be kind of bad considering what my major is...) and even if no company picks it up, I can still get it out there as short stories, RPGMaker games, and so on

My major ambition WILL be achieved dammit, even if I end up never making a cent from it. Because the money doesn't matter. The idea does
  • I long since accepted I would never be a good enough writer to ever publish anything.

It bites, but what are you going to do about it?
  • ^ The same happened to me with writing, some years ago now.

If it's any consolation, anyone who isn't either fantastically successful or very unambitious eventually ends up the same. Actually, so do some successful people, because they compare themselves to others who are more successful. Alexander the Great had conquered the known world by the age of 33. Compared to that, no-one's successful.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    There was never any wider recognition or any large sums of money in swordsmanship to begin with, especially when it comes to something as obscure as kunst de fechten. So I'm just training so that if I ever went back in time and met Liechtenauer, Dobringer, Ringeck, Talhoffer or any of their ilk, they would say that I'm someone who fights well.
  • edited 2011-10-21 13:53:50
    No rainbow star
    ^ I want to try sword fighting D:

Preferably with a short sword
  • Brass: Yeah, that's pretty much my problem. I keep thinking "oh, I'd be happy if I could just get X amount of readers"

but for some reason, whenever I do get a reader, I assume it's not enough, and still act as if I have none.

And then I drive all my readers away because I act depressed and delete my story.
    ^^ "Short sword" was a colloquial term in use during the longsword's heyday. It referred to single-handed swords that were like the longsword in design, so essentially what modern martial artists refer to as an "arming sword" or "single sword". So in reality, the term short sword refers to what D&D and its ilk often call a longsword.

So by studying short sword, you'd be studying a reasonably long-bladed weapon anyway, just one meant for use in a single hand.
  • Already 1/3 on my own list, both of the others are quite feasible, and #2 is repeatable for bonus XP.  So yeah, can't say I know this feeling anymore ^_^
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ That's somewhat confusing

Well, a sword with a blade about the length of an average man's arm, maybe a bit shorter, is what I mean (And I thought longswords were two handers)
  • You can change. You can.
    Key word. Does the potential benefit outweigh the risk of failure?

Honestly? I can't tell, and the more I consider the possibilities, the less they make sense in either side. 

Anyway, after today, I'm pretty much in the sure side I'll fail this semester. I'm really considering the idea of freezing it. 
    ^^ They are, it's just that pop culture interprets longswords as one-handers.
  • I always keep thinking this.

But, god dammit, I will own my own Animation company dammit! No matter what, I will own it one day. Mark my words against the lord himself, if you wish!
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    I don't know this feel, because I have no ambitions at all!

YAY AIMLESSNESS
  • Late at night I sometimes realize that I probably won't be remembered. I try not to think about it. 
  • JHMJHM
    edited 2011-10-21 21:42:52
    Here, There, Everywhere
    I'm not sure that I've realised it yet, mainly because I am in equal parts too egotistical, optimistic and indecisive to even think such things for more than short periods of time...

That said, I'm cautious as all hell. Plus, there's always a chance that if one thing doesn't pan out, another might. And that's not so bad at all.

Wait. How the hell did I get to be Little Merry Sunshine here?!