If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This predicament in German I'm in.

edited 2011-10-28 15:52:06 in Meatspace
[tɕagɛn]
So a few weeks ago, we watched a German movie in.....German 2. Anyway, I didn't really pay attention to it. So I was kinda screwed when I learned that we we're going to do a powerpoint on it. Long story short, I didn't do it. Given that I was one of her best students, my teacher was worried about my grade. I came in during lunch today to make up some other stuff. Once finished, she told me that she would let me do an alternative powerpoint--one a liitle challenging, indeed. And she knows how much I love linguistics, so she thought that I should try an assignment that involved that. I agreed to do it. I now have to make a powerpoint explaining, to my class, the word order of direct and indirect objects in clauses in German, how the word order changes depending on whether the objects are proper nouns or pronouns, and when to use the Accusative and Dative cases while doing this. I have a weekend to make this. .....Shit

Comments

• edited 2011-10-28 15:54:18
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I suggest that you stop posting about it and do it, then.
  • I don't have access to a computer.

It's not that it's long, but I have trouble explaining concepts in simple terms.
  • edited 2011-10-28 15:56:58
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Ah, you're on your phone or whatever. Never mind, then.
  • > I have trouble explaining concepts in simple terms.

http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/107/432/original/i_hug_that_feel.png?1300595876">
  • Yeah, I'm still at school....

But it will let out in 5 minutes. I'll spend today wracking my head for ideas. Once I finish that, the PP will be done within an hour.
  • That's the spirit! Just buckle down and get 'er done!
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Sounds good. Keep on top of it and you'll be fine.
  • edited 2011-10-28 16:39:27
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    It honestly sounds like the correct thing to do would have been to pay attention the film in the first place.
    It isn't that helpful now but if you remember it in future you might avoid any additional worries.

Also have you read that Mark Twain extract Gelzo linked to in another thread here?
  • Shiiiiiiit.

I just remembered why I'm really fucked. I have two English projects (Yeah, my crazy-ass English teacher assigned two fucking projects at the same time). Along with this. FUCK.
  • edited 2011-10-28 18:56:42
    $80+ per session
    Chagen, I fucking got you on this. I fucking aced this shit. (When I took German 3 here in America, having to brush up on it.)
  • $80+ per session
                  ACC    DAT
    Male       ihr       ihm
    Female   sie      ihr
    Neutral   es       ihm
    Plural    Sie       ihnen

Nom   Acc  Dat
    Der    Den   Dem
    Die    Die    Der
    Das   Das   Dem
    Die    Die    Den

(Recite this shit like a song. You remember it. Der Die Das Die Den Die Das Die Dem Der Dem Den!!)

For the Noun Pronoun part, a simple but very useful punnet square a friend created works wonders. I'll make it in a second.
  • edited 2011-10-28 19:00:51
    [tɕagɛn]
    I already know that.

How is that going to help me explain this to normal teenagers though?

I mean, I have a reputation at my school for being verbose to a fault.
  • $80+ per session
    You don't really have to explain it.

Like I mean...

I now have to make a powerpoint explaining, to my class, the word order
    of direct and indirect objects in clauses in German, how the word order
    changes depending on whether the objects are proper nouns or pronouns,
    and when to use the Accusative and Dative cases while doing this.

You pretty much just make the powerpoint what I said.
  • Okay, I'll try, I'm just nervous about if I can do this.

But I will never, ever, talk bad of a teacher from now on. I've gotten a glimpse of what they have to do.
  • $80+ per session
    If you want extra points, say you came up with this Square.

P        N
    P AD  P NP

P          N
    N PN    N DA

P = Pronoun
    N = noun
    D = Dative
    A = Accusative

So Pronoun, Pronoun is Accusative then Dative.
  • Also have you read that Mark Twain extract Gelzo linked to in another thread here?

It makes me want to learn German so bad.