If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Twilight Sparkle

edited 2011-03-10 22:42:10 in Media
Somehow her status as the main character, loose as it is, feels weird to me, as I see MLPFIM as more of an ensemble show than anything else.

Comments

• That's because it's a little kid's show about ponies.
  • Yeah, in some episodes it seems like she's only there to deliver the aesop in her letter to Princess Celestia.
  • Twilight is best pony. She deserves the fuck out of the mane character status and screen-time she gets.
  • Twilight is strong leader pony. Has bravery like grizzly bear from motherland.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I'm guessing all the potential Twilight jokes regarding her name have been made a billion times already?

I've seen one episode.  She didn't do very much in it.  I thought the main character was Apple Bloom, but maybe that was just the episode I saw.
  • edited 2011-03-10 22:59:59
    Pony Sleuth
    Well she does come from Canterlot.

^Yes on the first part, and from the sound of it, you were watching an episode featuring the Cutie Mark Crusaders. They aren't bad, but the others are better.
    The episode ended with the ponies without cutie marks making friends, so probably.
  • "Call of the Cutie" was its name. She doesn't show up in it until about halfway through.

I like Twilight, though, don't get me wrong.
  • edited 2011-03-10 23:10:00
    Pony Sleuth
    Yeah, they're the central characters in at two more episodes so far.

Also...

There was a better one where Twilight was going "WTF am I reading" but I can't find it.
  • Personally I like the episodes about the adult ponies better than the Cutie Mark Crusader episodes.
  • Wait, her name literally is Twilight Sparkle?

Given the creators of this show, I wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional...
  • Poot dispenser here
    @Chagen: Who are the creators?
  • ^^^As do I. (I have yet to watch Show Stoppers, though)

^Lauren Faust, who worked on The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends before this. You can see the influence of at least the former in this, given how strongly this incarnation of Rainbow Dash resembles Buttercup.
  • Poot dispenser here
    @Anonus: Ah, I see.
  • Did Faust name the ponies, though? I assumed the names would have come from Hasbro. It is Merchandise Driven, after all.

(This forum needs the forum-equivalent of TropeBot.)
  • No. With the exception of Rarity (I think), all the ponies' names have a precedent in prior incarnations of the MLP franchise.
  • AWWW SHIT no property rights/stock characters
  • Twilight Sparkle has single handedly redeemed the words "Twilight" and "Sparkle" for me.
  • ...We have a Sand Josieph now?
    Awesome.  Every forum should have at least one of those.
  • Yes, I'm here...one of me at least...
  • About time.
  • a little muffled
    @Anonus: According to Wikipedia, the earlier versions of Twilight Sparkle were named Twilight and Twilight Twinkle, so. It could still be a reference.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    [citation needed]
  • ^^I realized this upon a visit to My Little Wiki yesterday. So I figure now it's intentional.