If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"My Little Pony taught me it's okay to like girly things!"

edited 2011-11-02 18:38:08 in Media

Short version of this post: It is annoying when fandoms act like their object of affection is the only one of its kind in existence.

Please elaborate version:

1. I can understand this sentiment from a six-year-old, but this tends to come from young adults. Where the heck were they during the 90's/00's? There were several good (or at least reasonably entertaining) girls' shows long before this one.

2. They tend to be pretentious about it. No, not caring for the show does not mean I'm automatically into gore and violent gritty FPS's. Again, I watched other shows as a kid.

3. The real reason you aren't embarrassed to like it is because it is a fad. If it weren't, I'm pretty sure half the people who loudly proclaim this sentiment would be significantly less obnoxious about it.

Comments

• edited 2011-11-02 18:56:21
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Yeah, I can't help but agree. Also, not exactly a brilliant revelation. "Oh wow! Girls can like boy stuff and boys can like girl stuff." 

I learned that from Eighties high school films.

I'd also like to see their actual opinion on gender binary-defiance that actually will get you discriminated against.
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:29:54
    Have to agree. Whenever I tell MLP fans I don't care for FiM, a lot of them seem to assume I perceive myself as some kind of muscled tough guy and that I can't accept guys can like girls stuff, even though that isn't really the case. I just dislike the cartoon. 
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Also,

>implying FiM is the only MLP cartoon ever
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    you're right, it's the only good one
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:38:29
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Have you ever seen an earlier Gen cartoon?  It's physically painful.

And yeah, the fans who won't accept that pony is not for everyone are really obnoxious, and I'm a huge pony fan.
  • You can change. You can.
    While I do agree that liking the show is not bad and the same goes for disliking it, I really disagree with it being called a "fad" at this point. It may not be my thing, but that's like saying that Lost or Twin Peaks were not innovative at all during their high years simply because I disliked them. 

(not that I dislike either of those, but you get the picture)
  • Have to agree with the notion it's not a fad too. While I don't like it, I can understand why people do. It has a certain charm to it, among other things like great animation and good voice-acting. It's certainly better than Spongebob. 
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:42:14
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^, ^^ Agreed.  At this point, it's kind of hit critical mass, where it's a real self sufficient fandom and not just a fad.  If that's all it was, it would have died down in the interim between season 1 and 2.  Instead, it just got even bigger.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Though to be fair, America has a bit of pop culture ADHD - which is why franchises last longer in terms of popularity in Europe and Japan whilst most are only a year-or-two long fads in eagleland.
    By now, America's stand on pop culture seems hardly relevant when it comes to MLp. I mean, there are bronies worldwide

and thus, Faust's plan to conque the world started.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Man, I'd love to be accused of being a tough-guy for not liking MLP. I would then take that person to the bookstore and purchase all the K-On! manga. 
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:48:43
    ^^ And I for one welcome our new Faustian overlord.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    our new Faustian overlord

Of course, it all fails in a year or so when the show gets unjustly cancelled because of low ratings because fans are fickle assholes who will get mad at something she will do this season.

I tell you man.
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:52:53
    Pony Sleuth
    Didn't we agree to stop making pony threads? Don't we just need one?

FYI: Faust isn't on the show anymore.
  • Hate to be a party-pooper, but didn't Faust leave the show?
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:53:19
    Faust isn't even involved anymore.  Second season is still glorious, though.  If it keeps up with this level of quality, I think I'll like it better than the first.

Double ninja'd.
    She left to avoid the accusations. :P
  • edited 2011-11-02 20:00:18
    Honestly, I'd be kind of surprised if that happens.  MLP is like the least pissy fandom I've ever seen.

Though maybe it just seems that way because I'm friends with a few Sonic fans, who are always telling me horror stories.
  • If you check the forums after a new episode, it seems that there will invariably be at least one fan calling it the best episode yet, and another calling it the. Worst. Possible. Thing.
  • edited 2011-11-02 20:02:33
    Well, I kind of liked Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, so credit for that. I was a kid when Powerpuff Girls was in circulation, so I didn't really realize it was more of a parody than anything.

I don't agree with some of her decisions, and one in particular, though I'm not really going to get into it because it tends to make people mad when I mention it.

"MLP is like the least pissy fandom I've ever seen."

Heh heh.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I loved Powerpuff Girls when I was little, but I was always embarrassed to admit it.
  • Forza:
    >Sonic fans

Oh my, the stories I could tell...
    Honestly, I'd be kind of surprised if that happens. MLP is like the least pissy fandom I've ever seen.

I meant the world dominating ones. 

anyway, as it is, I'm kinda sad to hear about that and it's because if there was one thing that kept MLP unique in my mind is that it was an auteur comedy. and that shit be so rare it's not even funny.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    MLP is like the least pissy fandom I've ever seen.

It's better than the Gundam or toku fandoms at any rate. :B
    I think Powerpuff Girls wasn't so much a parody as it was a pastiche. There was definite genuine gender role reversal. Of course, the Big Lebowski references and over-the-top action made it okay for guys to like.
  • While I have no way of figuring out whether she's right, I believe Faust said something along the lines of the people she was working with were very much on the same wavelength with a lot of things towards the end of her stay on the show. I somehow doubt the show would be significantly different had she stayed.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yeah.  At this point, I've got just as much faith in the rest of the production staff as I did in Faust.  The second season so far has only validated that for me.
    Well, yeah, I don't think the show has changed much, has it? But my point is not the show changing, but the production behind it doing so, I guess.
    I keep thinking you guys are talking about Goethe's play....