If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Being forced to proclaim faith in a religion you don't really believe in.

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I think we drove all the really religious people away already.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'm very much not religioius.

I consider the existence of the Christian god to be a self-contradiction, but I'm open to the possibility of other gods, depending on how the term is defined.
  • You can change. You can.
    Yeah, Bobby went away

sadly 

;_;
  • There be a few in TVT, but none here.

I think Loid is kinda religious.
    I miss Bobby...
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Same.
  • All such tales of gods and their miracles are false. Those who would lead prefer that history suit their needs, and rewrite it to see that it does. And why shouldn't they? The fault lies not with them. The reeking masses yearn for gods and miracles. It is their opiate, and they consume it greedily. The people do not endeavor towards greatness, but rather mire themselves in their petty strifes --- shackles on the feet of man. Their leaders give them no more than that for which they clamor. It is history's oldest and most oft-repeated tale. Do men exploit this weakness to dominate their fellows? Mayhap they do. But they succeed only because the people are eager to know such dominion. Gods are only illusions born of man's fear. It is they who see this charade for what it is and join in the pageantry who are to blame.
    What's that copypasted from?
  • edited 2011-11-04 22:26:13
    Final Fantasy Tactics. The fight with Weigraf.
    Ah. Haven't played that. FFTA is the only Final Fantasy game I've played all the way through, though, so I should probably check it out.
  • If you have to play an FF game, play FFT. It's amazing. Like A Song of Ice and Fire in video game form and without the dwarf sex.
    Will definitely check it out.
  • edited 2011-11-04 22:30:05
    Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together is another good one. It's made by pretty much the exact same people, and is pretty much the Yugoslav Wars in medieval times.

They both have remakes on PSP. 
    Like A Song of Ice and Fire in video game form and without the dwarf sex.

And now you know why it sucks
    Would the FFT remake be this?
  • edited 2011-11-04 22:35:01
    ^^ You're right. Tyrion's dwarf-loving was the best part. And totally not disgusting.

^ Yeah.
    Cool.

But given that Skyrim's arriving in under seven days...yeah, that might have to wait.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I forget the exact quote, but Soren Kirkegaard states that he prefers a sincere Muslim or Pagan to a sincere Christian. It reflects my stance or religion really well.

Next time you're forced to go and make a proclamation like that in church, sneak in your ipod and play 'Feel So Numb' by Rob Zombie. That'll teach 'em!
    I don't discriminate based on religion; in my experience, religion is incidental to whether or not someone is an asshole. If someone is an asshole and a member of a religion, they'll interpret that religion in a way that lets them justify it.
    Oh for real, that's my point. Even Atheists will assholes in the pursuit of 'promoting the truth'. I can't help but have a bit of disdain for people who don't give serious thought to their faith. To me, it's kind of a big deal emotionally and metaphysically speaking. Most people just do it because their father is of that religion.

Or often (making faking it more justifiable) because they would have been killed otherwise.
  • "Next time you're forced to go and make a proclamation like that in church"

It wasn't at church, my mom came home and made me do it because she had heard a pastor on the radio.

She had this....horribly creepy, flat look on her eyes as she said it. Made me feel like I was in some kind of....fascist brainwashing camp or something.
    /wmg/ Chagen's mom is spiritually sensitive and keeps getting possessed. /wmg/
  • edited 2011-11-05 00:25:03
    Loser
    Abyss_Worm,
    Europe tends to enforce separation of church and state more. Apparently in the U.K., a politician loses credibility by being open about their faith.

I think you are right about the latter part, but maybe not for the reason you mentioned. One theory I have heard is that the history of state sponsored religion in Europe has created a "monopoly of religion" there. Some European countries actually still seem to have state religions.

Without much competition from other religions or even other branches of Christianity, the argument is that religious officials do not feel the same drive to try to appeal to the public that their religion is the correct one and this helps discourage people from being as religious there as they tend to be in the U.S. (and maybe Canada). I am not sure how persuasive that explanation is, but I think it is worth considering at least.
  • edited 2011-11-05 00:25:20
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    IJBM: Religion being used for culture war bullshit.

IJBM: Culture war in general.
    IJBM: Religion being such a big deal.
    Religion is a big deal the same reason football teams are a big deal and video game consoles are. It gives people a sense of belonging to a community and the idea of there being another alternative or that they might have made the wrong choice is frightening.
  • $80+ per session
    What Malk said. I wish football wasn't such a big deal. I wish gender, sexuality, race, grades, standardized test scores, college, love, and looks weren't such a big deal. It's all the same reason when you get down down down to it.
    Yeah, see, i know that. 

Doesn't make it less annoying.
    If I may steal one of your images.

• There was never a man more awesome than Clint Eastwood.