If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I saw "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

edited 2011-12-22 23:19:23 in General
Glaives are better.
Before I agreed to go with my brother and his girlfriend, I (not having read the books) asked them (who had) if any children or animals got harmed in it. They said no.

Fuck them. Fuck them in the face.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    D:
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Huh.

That's kind of a dick move on their part.  :l
  • No rainbow star
    Maybe they thought you meant actually hurt for real?

Or were animals/kids actually harmed in the making of the film?
  • edited 2011-12-22 23:23:58
    Glaives are better.
    Seeing innocent kids or the animals I like - especially cats - get harmed is kind of a deal breaker for me when it comes to movies and other media.

I still skip over that one part in "The Once and Future King" where Morgause boils a cat alive.

EDIT: I really don't care if it's real or not. They probably CG'ed or puppeteered the cat, and the girl portraying the fourteen-year-old in the picture is just an actress. It's still vivid enough for me to feel like my heart is getting torn out. I hate that. 
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Animal cruelty for screen purposes is extremely illegal.

Also, GwtDT isn't supposed to be a feel-good movie. It' supposed to be unpleasant.

Not that it makes lying about it cool by any means.
  • What happened? I don't mind spoilers.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I keep meaning to read the books.  I saw the Swedish version of the first movie a couple months ago at my grandparents'.
    The Swedish film is good.

Still haven't read the novel though.
  • edited 2011-12-22 23:33:11
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The Swedish film is good.

Agreed.

My mom has all the novels, I think, so my only real bar to reading it is my massive throbbing backlog.
    I've seen the swedish movies, but haven't read the books or seen the American version yet.
  • Glaives are better.
    Well, without giving too much away, Daniel Craig gets a catbro, and hangs around investigating a murder. After being a total  bro (the cat even literally brofists him before he hops into bed with a hot chick) someone hacks the cat to pieces and puts it on his doorstep. I'm okay with gore, but the cat's death was pointless, and I can't stand it when cats get hurt.

Also, there's a graphically depicted scene where a character (who is implied to have an autism spectrum condition, or at least something that makes her "different") gets raped by her legally appointed guardian while she's screaming and crying. I'm okay with rape scenes, and I make rape jokes all the time, but I was expecting it to be tastefully done through implication, not shown in complete detail. Hell, American Psycho handled it with more delicacy than this.

In another scene, it's revealed that one character was sexually abused by her father when she was fourteen, and pictures get taken of her. 

I didn't go into the movie expecting some kind of feel good film of the year, but I didn't expect it to be so graphic, and I was led to believe that it wasn't going to involve children or animals getting hurt. Having my brother yell over my objections in the car ride home didn't help either. When I told him that I hated seeing the cat and the kid getting hurt, and that he had told me that that wasn't going to happen, he coldly told me that he had forgotten, and that he couldn't be expected to remember every single detail. 
    he coldly told me that he had forgotten, and that he couldn't be expected to remember every single detail.
    ಠ_ಠ

Are you sure he read the book?
  • edited 2011-12-22 23:42:25
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    >
    but I was expecting it to be tastefully done through implication, not shown in complete detail.

I'm not sure implication is necessarily a 'tasteful' way to deal with rape as opposed to violent graphic aspects since the former can make someone view it as less serious, but that's neither here nor there as to the discussion.

^Yeah, it sounds to me like seeing Audition and forgetting about the acupuncture needles in the eye part.
    Jesus, what a dick.
  • Glaives are better.
    "Tasteful" means that you're doing it with a mind towards peoples' feelings. A good way of making people with PTSD trigger is if you show it in complete detail. 
    Except people react to such feelings. A lot of people get upset about rape jokes for obvious reasons and they could see such an action as marginalizing rape.
  • Glaives are better.
    Right. And I'm the first to admit that my rape jokes aren't in the least bit tasteful. That's why I don't tell them to large groups of people, or people I know who have experienced that sort of shit, or, hell, people I don't know will react well to them.
  • ... I guess I don't need to see this film, then. It's funny, I can watch gory stuff like Predator and worse but I can't stand animals being hurt.
    The only film I absolutely refuse to ever see no matter what is Cannibal Holocaust because of the filmmakers actually violently killing animals for footage.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ What? D: