If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Zooey Deschanel plays the same character.

edited 2011-12-27 17:40:43 in General
I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
You could probably make a bingo card for the words used to describe the characters she plays:
  • Quirky
  • Adorable
  • Off beat
  • Etc
Quirky would be the most common though.

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    This applies to:

*Morgan Freeman
    *Samuel L Jackson
    *Michael Cera
    *Ben Stiller (...well, two)
    *The Wilson Brothers
    *Clint Eastwood

and we could go on all night.

ball's in your court.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I'd argue that a lot of the people mentioned there at least have more variance.
    For example Morgan Freeman whilst being a wise old man he at least has to fit it to different scenarios (being god, working for batman) where as Zooey is always the quirky oddball girl.
  • Typecasting's a bitch, ain't it?
    For example Morgan Freeman whilst being a wise old man he at least has to fit it to different scenarios (being god, working for batman) where as Zooey is always the quirky oddball girl.

I...don't follow.
    I mean, a wise old man is a wise old man, regardless of who is he giving his wisdom to, no?
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-12-27 17:55:46
    To be fair, "wise yet subservient old man" and "god" are pretty radically different roles.
  • edited 2011-12-27 17:57:41
    You can change. You can.
    He played God as a wise yet subservient old man, though. Mostly because, you know, he wasn't God for most of the movie.

For a loose definition of subservient, anyway.
  • edited 2011-12-27 17:58:58
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^^
    What Bob says.

I'm not claiming Morgan is incredibly varied however he is nowhere near as narrow as Zooey.

My point is simply that I see that complaint raised up against many many actors. And while variety is nice and all, sometimes, it's better for an actor to stay in the ground they know rather than try to explore different territories and fail.

Not everybody can be a Robert DeNiro. It's sad, but it's the truth.
    It would probably help is Zooey's typecast wasn't so irritating.
    For what it's worth, she seems to pick roles that mock the archetype she plays. At least, Five Hundred Days of Summer was far better than the usual romance involving a manic pixie dream girl. 
  • edited 2011-12-27 18:17:11
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I have some frustration at Deschanel but I think that's more the fanbase than her.

I don't mind actors having a type honestly and Juan's right. Freeman doesn't have any more range. He's just folksy and non-sexual so it doesn't come up as annoying.

Also her HHGTG role was different than most though that was before typecasting.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-12-27 18:17:16
    I feel weird knowing what kinds of roles she plays while having watched only one movie with her in it, and she wasn't even the lead character. With that said, it doesn't bother me that much, but I have a feeling if I watched more crap with her in it, it would.

On that note, her show looks lame. If anyone here has watched it and can either confirm or disprove that, I'd be very thankful.

^First rule of anyone / anything: IGNORE THE FANBASE OR THEY WILL DRIVE YOU INSANE. You'll thank yourself for it later.
  • What's wrong with Zooey Deschanel is that I Kissed A Girl and The One That Got Away were both godawful, but I can't stop liking Hot And Cold and Waking Up In Vegas.
    ^
    Hahahahaha.
  • edited 2011-12-27 18:36:26
    >IGNORE THE FANBASE OR THEY WILL DRIVE YOU INSANE. 

How come more people don't follow this rule?
    Honestly, the concept of fanbases and people caring about them baffles me.

Although I should point out that ignoring something is a way of passively caring about something.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^First rule of anyone / anything: IGNORE THE FANBASE OR THEY WILL DRIVE YOU INSANE. You'll thank yourself for it later.

Quoted for being the truest goddamn words ever spoken on this forum.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-12-27 18:41:23
    ^^There is a difference between actively ignoring something (i.e. “OH YEAH WELL I’M JUST GONNA IGNORE YOU THEN LET’S SEE HOW YOU LIKE THAT”) and passively ignoring something, or just not paying it any mind (i.e. “Zooey Deschanel’s fandom? Oh, yeah, totally forgot they existed. Sorry about that.”).
  • edited 2011-12-27 18:41:55
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Water is wet.
    The thing is, though, when you tell someone "Hey, ignore this", well...there's no way it can be passive.

Honestly, I just have a problem with fanbases being such a big deal in general, either for good or for bad.

So a bunch of people like something and they exchange fanmade versions of that something. What's the big fucking deal? why do people need to talk about it all the time? why is this all over the net gaaaaaaaaaaaah
  • edited 2011-12-27 18:46:25
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ Oh hush.

^^^ This. Like, the Homestuck fanbase is pretty annoying, from what I hear. So I just don't pay attention to it. I just enjoy the thing for what it is, and not what the more obnoxious fans are doing with it.

The creepy fanart or weird fanfic doesn't change the story itself, so it's not like it should have any impact my enjoyment of of the work.

It's not some grand "I'm ignoring you out of spite" thing, it's just that I don't honestly care.
  • Good people don't end up here.
    Now if only we could get that guideline implemented regarding religion and philosophy...
    It's not some grand "I'm ignoring you out of spite" thing, it's just that I don't honestly care.

Oh, I'm not saying that ignoring it is something akin to spite or whatever. It's just that it's the kind of absolute statement that kind of bothers me. I mean, what if I like TF2 and I like the fanart, fanfics and what not? Yes, there are excesses, mostly of the creepy-sexual kind, but that's the internet fault and there are bound to be idiots who think that everyone should know about what they fap to. 

But this is not the natural state of a fandom.

OTOH, the thing is, a fandom is (Or should be) nothing more than a group of people who like X and enjoying the fact that they have something to talk about. Treating it anything more (For good or bad) is simply overglorifying things that should not be overglorified. and that's a word, shuddup
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Logically, yes. I should ignore the fanbase, but when friends of yours who are otherwise brilliant and great people, fall into said traps it becomes a little frustrating.
  • Huh, that is p[retty different.

Have you tried using your innate powers of subtle mind control? That susually works.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    It's pretty sad the only movie by her I've seen is 500 Days of Summer, but while I saw she fit the character as a whole, I hated the character.
  • I don't really see the argument that Zooey plays the same character all the time. I mean, her character in 500 Days of Summer was played differently than her character in Elf, which differed from Tin Man, which differed from The Happening, which was different from the one in New Girl, and so on.

Yes, when you ignore all the nuance in each individual character up to the point where you're left with a broad archetype, then you can say that she plays the same roles. But that's going so broad as to not really be useful, and applies to a lot of other actors as Juan pointed out.
    I'd say she didn't even play a quirky oddball girl in The Happening. She played an insecure wife who wanted to do nothing but to survive.

And to prove the point I was making previously, she kinda sucked at it.

Hard.
  • This is true. Then again, everything about The Happening was a giant unpolished turd, so at least she was consistent with the rest of the cast/script.
  • I've only seen her in Elf, and I didn't even initially recognize it as her.