If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"ABLEIST!"

edited 2012-01-08 04:07:14 in General
Where the hell did this word come from?

That is, I was always aware of it, but I literally never heard ANYBODY using it until the past couple weeks, when suddenly it's all over the internet. What moron turned it into the trendiest new argument card? I've seen it dozens of times directed at all sorts of people for sentiments that have nothing to do with actual disabilities.

Comments

• Sounds like somebody's insecure about their privilege. :3
    In all honesty, I've seen it plastered around the web a lot earlier. It's easy to use since it's applicable to nearly any handicap or disorder, so the self-diagnosed crowd that's so rife in webspace is bound to jump onto it.

That said, I'd be wary to dismiss all usages of the word as x-card arguments. There's plenty of uneducated bias against handicapped or disordered people to counter illegitimate use, on the other side of the coin.
  • No lie. You'd be amazed at the kind of crap that the mentally/physically handicapped can get.

Oh, and the OED traces the word back to 1981, so it's not that new.
  • As with all of these "-isms", you really have to take claims of prejudice against "the handicapped" on a case by case basis.

"The handicapped" can range from undisputable paraplegics in wheelchairs to people who've decided that they suffer from the psychiatric/neurological syndrome of the month because that explains why they're a weirdo with no friends, and the prejudice can run from "I can't get into this public building in my wheelchair because of all these fucking steps"  to "BAAAWWW! Those meanies dared to suggest that I made up my diagnosis to gain undeserved sympathy!" There's no simple response.

• I suspect its current prevalence on the internet is due to Katawa Shojo, but maybe that was just Chagen.
  • edited 2012-01-08 10:15:46
    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I feel uncomfortable with the notion that the game might be fetishizing disabilities. Again, I haven't seen much of it, but is there more to it than that?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Yep.

The original concept was a joke, but they made a legitimately good VN from it.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Arguably, but then again, I don't argue enough to argue hard.

From what I can tell, it's more or less your basic moe where the author has used disabilities to emphasise the moeness. I don't think the aim is to fetishise disabilities, although that might be a result.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    it's more or less your basic moe
    Or not.
  • edited 2012-01-08 10:23:24
    Back on topic, I am reminded of that old "arguing on the Internet is like winning the Special Olympics" quote. But that's Internet culture for you.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Or not.

That's kind of like saying Star Wars isn't your basic chivalrous errantry story. It's done well, and it's deceptive, but that doesn't change what it is at its core.
  • edited 2012-01-08 10:45:39
    Loser
    Abyss_Worm,
    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I feel uncomfortable with the notion that the game might be fetishizing disabilities.

Thanks for bringing that up. I was a bit afraid to mention it earlier, but that aspect of the game really does bug me. Then again, I guess you could say something similar about pretty much anything that gets fetishized. I suppose that is more of an observation than an excuse though.

As for the ableist stuff, plenty of people with disabilities do get discriminated against/picked on because of them, especially in school. Still, I think people generally want to just be respected and treated like human beings. It seems to me that sometimes getting special attention or being singled out because you have a disability can be annoying because you do not want to feel like you are some super dependent weirdo.

Basically, I feel like the issue is a bit more complicated than it may seem and that occasionally good intentions can end up offending people who do not want to be reminded of their disability constantly.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    As far as I can tell, the game handles it pretty well as a plot point; certainly a lot better than you'd expect, given the origins of the work and of the people working on it. As far as I can tell, the disabilities of the students are nothing more than a plot point (or excuses for character stories and certain things they have to do in everyday life), and a rather well handled one, rather than being a fetish. Certainly, works with more offensive premises have become successful.
  • edited 2012-01-08 10:54:28
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The best way I've heard it described is that the characters have disabilities, but their personalities aren't defined by their disabilities, if that makes any sense.

Shizune isn't the deaf/mute girl, she's the comparative student council president who happens to be deaf.

Rin isn't just the girl with no arms, she's a spacy artist who's adapted to painting even without arms.

And so on.

Gah I still need to play the full version.
  • I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.
    Come on, there was a perfectly good dating sim released recently about pigeons. Why can't we all just play that one? :(
  • edited 2012-01-08 13:14:11
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^ Bwuh?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ಠ_ಠ
  • edited 2012-01-08 13:17:07
    After some Google-Fu: oh my god that is the greatest thing
  • edited 2012-01-08 13:18:57
  • I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.
    My favorite part was helping the rich pigeon who just wanted to learn to play an instrument but couldn't because his dad wouldn't let him, his tail feathers were so *kawaii* uguu~~~ =^_^=
  • No rainbow star
    I stopped shortly after nobirdie

This requires a special kind of mindset to read through
  • edited 2012-01-08 13:43:46
    hatoful49.jpg

Why's it always gotta be a maid cafe, man?

hatoful50.jpg

That's why it has to be a maid cafe. Makes sense.

THIS IS A REAL GAME AND THAT JUST HAPPENED

i'm dying
  • probably human

pffffthahahahahaha
  • No rainbow star
    Would have been even better if they dressed up the pidgeon in real life and used that for the game
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Oh, gosh. I can't believe that happened.
  • ^^^^ I gotta pick this game up.

Anyway, I look at this phrase and I think of annoying Social Darwinists who are all "survival of the fittest" in situations where it doesn't apply.

Also, ease up on the "MY OPPONENT SHOUTS!".
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Why the hell are you talking about Ableism in a thread about a pidgeon dating sim?
  • Kids, just say no to drugs. Instead go on the internet where the next brain-melting experience is only a few clicks away.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Things like this are why I love the Internet. You never know what awesome batshit insane thing you're going to stumble on next.
  • edited 2012-01-08 14:49:37
    Diet NEET
    ^^^Because people feel uncomfortable discussing privilege, thus use this (admittedly wonderful) distraction as a silencing tactic.
  • Yes, there's nothing that kills discussion of privilege like a pigeon dating game. QED.