If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Retired Beefeater 'ejected from pub for speaking German'

edited 2012-01-21 11:51:00 in General
I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

*sigh*

Tom Sharp, 71, said he was talking to his half-German daughter in the Packhorse pub in the Peterborough village of Northborough when their conversation slipped into German.

Mr Sharp, who also served with the Royal Signals for 26 years during which he met his wife Anni in Germany, said the pub's landlady flew into a rage when she heard the language being used on Wednesday evening.

He claims she told him: "We are white, you are English so you speak English in my pub otherwise get out."

Comments

• No rainbow star
    Glad to read that several pub go-ers stood up for them
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

From the sound of it, pretty much the whole place stormed out (hopefully without paying). Awesome.

• edited 2012-01-21 12:34:40
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Sounds like the pub landlady couldn't even tell that that was a European language, considering she made a point of saying that this guy is white.

RACISM FAIL

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

^
    I think it was more to point out how he being white and English was being terrible for speaking anything other than English, as she says 'We are white'.

I really hate that stupid xenophobic attitude. 

• edited 2012-01-21 12:42:01

Some context - as mentioned in the article, there is a Polish community in Peterborough, where this took place, and in fact I think East Anglia generally has experienced quite a bit of Eastern European immigration in recent years. There's a lot of seasonal agricultural work there.

I suspect this lady's prejudice was probably directed at Eastern Europeans rather than Germans. Not that this excuses it at all. Also, how stupid must you be to not be able to recognise the sound of German, even if you can't speak it? There's been sixty years of war films, if nothing else.