If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• I'm a damn twisted person

What animu is that from Malk?

• That's the best girl from the Black Rock Shooter TV series.

If you like it I suddenly have an active disinterest in not watching it. 

• edited 2012-10-14 00:18:59

Funny.

But if it makes you feel better, I didn't like it much.  I mostly just liked how much of a bitch that one girl was.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Double negative: intentional or not?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

It's Black Rock Shooter and for what it's worth I quite liked and it's Waltzy's favorite animu. It's a weird action anime with other lives and body switch magic. It's weird, but good.

How you read my posts is a multiple choice thing CU. Pick whichever answer makes you the happiest. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

If you like it I suddenly have an active disinterest in not watching it. 

Hey, I liked it.

Although the fourteen year old girl in a bikini and longcoat did make me feel skeezy.

• But that's literally the entire point of the show.

Like really.

It's the entire reason the show exists.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

No?

The show would have worked quite fine if she'd had clothes that actually covered skin. Nothing would have changed but the fact that she wears a bikini.

• But it would never have been made in the first place.

The show was just an excuse to animate a bunch of cool character designs that people really liked.

• You can change. You can.

So, I decided to read Morrison's Authority run.

Unsurprisingly, it's as great as any other Morrison thing. Plus, he turned the Authority into the JLI and it works! gotta love that.

But it would never have been made in the first place.

The show was just an excuse to animate a bunch of cool character designs that people really liked.

I'm not seeing how that makes it less skeezy.

So, I read Batman 13 just about now.

So far so good. And I love the callback to Batman #1. And that scene when the Joker returns and blows the lights of the GCPD office. And I think that at last, I'm actually interested in seeing what the Joker's planning and motivated by (It never seems to be satisfying as an answer, but Snyder seems to know what he's doing with this particular direction)_

Keeping the thread alive!

Just got back from heading to the comic shop today. Felt a bit more enthusiastic about my pulls this week. Pick of the week was definitely Hawkeye #3, while Daredevil and Supergirl are tied for 2nd. Honorable mentions to The Mighty Thor, Venom and AvX: Consequences.

Right on to what made Hawkeye great - it was really, really fun. Like buddy cop movie sensibilities meets superhero universe. Or to put it another way, Clint and Kate drive a 70s muscle car while fighting a gang of tracksuit draculas and Clint uses all the trick arrow. All of them. The art is spot on, the gimmick if Clint going through the 9 stupid things he did that day(insert Touhou joke here) doesn’t wear out its welcome and the dialog and gags are fun. A great example of a B-list title taking the creative freedom it is afforded and running with it like a kid stealing candy.

Daredevil had a pretty killer twist(just Coyote is) and Supergirl had some great character work for Kara. More later this week when I do This Week In Ink with Juan and Malk and Lin.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

hey juan

i know who the fourth man is

"But you are..."

"So I noticed."

So, Secret Six is nothing short of magnificent.

Hey comic book people.

Go buy Judas Coin.

• Looks interesting.

fuck you i'm not a comic book people

*reads Amazing Spider-man #698*

*spits out coffee*

How? What? When? Why?

Spoiler:
    okay we know the why, Doc Ock is a petty vengeful bastard. Still switching bodies with Peter and seeming to leave him to die in his old fucked up body...fuck man. Just fuck.

Also, on Malk's rec I checked out the new IDW run on TMNT. Well the first 8 issues anyways. I love it. The art is very expressive, and it is telling origin story stuff, but sidestepping a lot of the cruft that goes with it. Like Splinter flashing back to his past life story intermittently while sneaking past some thugs and then going home to tell the turtles that story. Like instead of the whole narration framing device for it, there is the recollection framing device, which lets it flow more easily. 

And that page where everybody sees the family that makes them feel happy. Casey's panel was just a punch in the gut. 

The micro-series goes into more detail about origins, but it also only focuses on one character at a time so it's still pretty tight and focused.

Comics were oddly domestic this week

Like there were still superpowers and explosions, but for the most part the plots were about fairly normal things, as skewed through the lense of super heroes.

•Cable and X-Force - it’s half about Hope tracking down her deadbeat dad and the other half is Cable seeing some doctors. Granted Hope’s search involved jet packs and beating up terrorists, and Cable was seeing doctors because time travel has wrecked his body. Forge’s solution is a cybernetic arm that shoots rockets

•Scarlet Spider was mostly about Kaine’s friends trying to get him to sober up after a hangover. Granted, it is so he could fight off the mob of gun toting Santas that were overrunning the hotel.

•Fantastic Four was an issue long goodbye and checklist rundown before the Four head out on a road trip.

•Ultimate X-men was about gardening. About mutated crop seeds that can topple international agriculture industries, but still mostly about some mutants cooking up a weird plant in their greenhouse.

Avengers Arena started out and I’ll wait a few more issues before passing judgement. But Arcade’s showboating is a sight to behold.

Batman 15 was killer, but the goodies were packed towards the end. I like how Snyder undercuts the idea of Batman being effectively omniscient thanks to all his tech and detective skills. If anything, Snyder actually plays those up, but lets the arrogance that comes from thinking you know everything about the situation be Bruce’s flaw. He is so determined he has the right idea about things that he works from the conclusion he has and tries to make the evidence fit. And when his conclusion and reality conflict it blindsides him.

The best part is at the end were we learn that Joker has pulled Riddler into his schemes. The villains who best challenge Batman emotionally and intellectually working together to make his life hell. Hell fucking yes. And I really want to see what Snyder will do with the Riddler, since his style really compliments the Riddler’s schtick.

In conclusion - nak nak nakitty naker nakerino.

• edited 2012-12-12 18:31:44
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

One of the things I really like about Snyder is that Batman being a detective is essential to Batman's core. Hell, Batman is more of detective book than Detective Comics right now.

It's also good to hear Riddler is back, since I always felt he was one of the most underappreciated Batman villains.

I think Iron Man has proven that I'm not really a big Kieron Gillen guy. I really liked Latverian Prometheus but that's mostly because he was actually doing stuff with the cool stuff JMS only hinted at. It might just be because after Fraction's big idea cyberpunk stuff, this feels rather pedestrian. I just... don't really care about it.

• edited 2012-12-14 05:30:07

So apparently the Third Army in Green Lantern Corps are Guardian-created zombies meant to assimilate all life in the universe to eradicate free will.

...yay...

zombies meant to assimilate all life in the universe to eradicate free will.

Where have I heard of this before

• What's galling is that it's not an army, it's a fucking horde.

Enough with the Rainbow Corps nonsense guys. Enough with fucking Black Hand and space zombies. Enough with the Guardians being mustache twirling villains instead of out of touch bureaucrats to an insane degree. Enough with Hal Jordan and Sinestro being the only characters that matter.

I mean damnit people, you have a story about space cops with magic rings that can do anything. You can write a story about anything instead of retreading this same stuff over and over.