If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Yeah, the human art for Iron Man is pretty bland, but I like the high concept stuff and mech art is kind of important for Iron Man.

As for Fear Itself, I actually really liked the God-Eater arc that happened as a result in the comic even if Fear Itself was complete shit.

There was also a small four-part DF comic written by Butcher himself called Welcome to the Jungle. Dunno if it's available digitally.

Also, Amazing Spider-man is great like Alk said, though they're in the middle of a big arc right now.

• edited 2012-05-12 14:25:49
    I'm a damn twisted person

Man forget Invincible. It just degenerates into hyperkinetic blood and gore fueled by super strength punch fests after a while and lacks characters to make you give a shit about it.

INUH - well for the Dresden Files, I'll go the Urban Fantasy route and toss out Locke and Key(Harry Potter meets Stephen King) and I Kill Giants and Finder which is more of Urban ScifiGame of Thrones has a comic of prequel bits out I think. But for just a fantasy romp I'll toss out Bone

Eh I might take a look at them again Malk. But Fear Itself kinda just made me go fuck it for Captain America, Iron Man and Thor. Okay it was more the telling of yet another WWII story with Captain America and Bucky that made me say fuck it for Captain America. 

Oh yeah, Bone is great. Haven't read it in looooong time though.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Oh right, another urban fantasy comic classic. Take a look at Hellblazer if you want. Just know there is a lot to pick and choose from with it, so go for arcs you think you will like. 

• edited 2012-05-12 14:28:24
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Locke and Key

I do have the first volume of this one. I've been meaning to buy more of it.

Bone

And the same applies here, actually. So I guess this means you're too good at finding things I might like :P

Though I will check out the other two three.

I really wish Comixology had a wishlist system (or if it does, made it more visible).

• I'm a damn twisted person

Well for fantasy, there is also Mouse Guard, which the best way I can describe it is "Like Redwall, but metal as all fuck". You don't have mice dicking around eating elaborate feasts. You have mice caving in an owl's skull with an ax in the middle of a blizzard so he can get medicine to a sick friend. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I actually picked up the first issue of that on Comixology because it was free. It does look good.

• edited 2012-05-12 17:57:33

Okay, screw it, I was barely even pretending to keep to that budget.

Just bought:

• The first issues of Mark Waid's Daredevil and The Mighty Thor

• The first issues of All-Star Western and Swamp Thing

• The first issue of Saga

• Batman 6 and 7

My thoughts:

Batman 6 was pretty cool, and I like how the art handled the hallucinations, so that you kinda knew what was going on, but it wasn't quite the same thing as the art was showing.

7 was also awesome, being more of a character and exposition segment than the pure action of the last issue. I'm not sure how I feel about the talons being a little less normal than I expected, but there was ample foreshadowing that I don't object. Similarly, Dick got a bit of a backstory retcon, which I found jarring for a moment, but on reflection, it's one that doesn't contradict anything at all (and actually makes his backstory make more sense to me, if anything), so no big deal.

On a side note, I'm kinda annoyed that issue 8 costs more :/ 

I like ASW's setting. I'm not sure if they coordinated that with what Snyder's doing with Batman, but either way, I like it. Alan Wayne was mentioned, but he didn't show up. Maybe later. The random disposable lady kinda bothered me, but not enough to be a dealbreaker. Arkham's narration would be in violation of "show, don't tell," except that everything he deduces has a reason shown in the comic itself, and he's not always right. I like the art. It's old-timey, and not just in the colors, but in the lines. It's looking like this plot is heading in a conspiracy direction. Interesting.

Swamp Thing is a title I know absolutely nothing about, but I feel like it introduced me pretty nicely. After the relatively calm (but very enjoyable) introduction, things got really, really weird. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Daredevil was a similarly good jumping-on point. This character I actually knew a bit about, but it was still nice that the first page filled me in on the details in a very concise way. The bit talking about how he perceives stuff at the start is cool, though I hope he's just guessing about what's written on the invitations. I like the first villain he fought, who was definitely the most comic-book-villain-ish villain I've seen in the books I've been reading. I also like that his identity is only sorta secret. The cliffhanger was pretty cool, but somewhat softened by the inclusion of the bonus story (which was good, but I've already gone on about this issue for awhile).

Thor, by contrast, seemed like it was following some event I'm unfamiliar with, but I don't mind, because it was pretty clear what was going on. This was definitely more of an establishing issue, so I can't really comment on it fully without having read the next one.

Saga is...odd, but good. Though when people compared it to Game of Thrones, I didn't think they were referring to gratuitous sex.

• You can change. You can.

I thought the comparison was simply because one of the plots is about following royalty and its exploits.

I know. But still, gratuitous sex.

gratuitous robotic tv sex, might i add.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of that in Game of Thrones.

I see you have not caught up with GoT and its most recent episode, where we discover that Littlefinger and Cat are actually TV robots programmed to love each other, but they don't know it. Yet.

The thing about  Arkham's writing is that he's supposed be pompous and overinflated, so his narration is deliberately pompous and over-inflated.

Yeah, I got that. I did like his narration, if that wasn't clear. He and Jonah Hex work really well together.

The thing is it's also kind of a horror comic in some ways. And I agree Arkham and Hex are a great pair. (ships them)

I can kinda see that, although the horror aspect wasn't especially prevalent in the first issue.

You know what would be really, really cool? Not like right now, but down the line? If they ran into the Court of Owls.

Funny enough that's what's happening in Issue 9 (which hasn't come out yet)

When I saw it I was all 'CALLED IT!'

Yeah, it's kinda an obvious thing to do.

Hmmm...when I get to the actual crossover part of Night of the Owls, I'm going to be really tempted to buy some of the ones from comics I'm not reading (though not from anything like Catwoman or Red Hood).

I'd say to resist the temptation. The vast majority are just going to be something like 'X character fights a talon!'

• edited 2012-05-12 19:39:54

Yeah, fair enough.

If I hear about one that's particularly interesting or something, I might go for it.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

ITT: INUH turned into a comic book fan

Speaking of which I still can't get over one of these people I know on facebook who is really really into social justice stuff.

She loves Red Hood & The Outlaws. -_-

• edited 2012-05-12 19:40:31

^^Pretty much.

^D:

why

• edited 2012-05-12 19:42:53
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Because she also has consistently terrible taste, I suppose. 

She's pretty much the only Jason Todd fan I know. She's also incredibly thin-skinned about people disagreeing with her on fiction, taking any disagreement or joke as an assault on her person, so I've long given up discussing... a lot of things with her. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I should get around to reading that Batman comic thing Juan compiled for me. I waited two months for it to download, I should eventually read it.

Yeah, but being about Jason Todd isn't even the worst thing about Red Hood and the Outlaws, from what I've seen.

Oh it's not. It's definitely not. Not by a long shot.

My favorite was the people saying that those who had objections to a comic written by men where the obvious target audience is teenage boys of slut-shaming of all things.

The dull-ass promiscuous Starfire is no way a symbol of empowerment.

Man if only there was a popular iteration of Starfire that lots of people who might be interested in comics had seen in their childhood that they could have tied her to so they could boost sales...

The dull-ass promiscuous Starfire is no way a symbol of empowerment.

Yeah, some people don't seem to get that while a promiscuous female can be an empowered character, she can also be a talking realdoll, and this is more the latter.

Man if only there was a popular iteration of Starfire that lots of people who might be interested in comics had seen in their childhood that they could have tied her to so they could boost sales...

I seriously don't get how DC can screw that up. I mean, probably the single best thing they could have done to boost sales was make Starfire the version from the show, then give her her own title, but no...

• edited 2012-05-12 19:58:42
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Heck, they could do a Raven & Starfire title and with the proper talent I'd totes read it.

I can assure you it would have sold better than Hawk and Goddamn Dove.

I mean I can't say for certain how to do a properly empowered ethical slut (since white straight man, in a position of privilege, etc.) but it's certainly not by showing how awesome Red Hood is for laying into Starfire.