If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

So Miku...

edited 2012-02-05 03:04:03 in Media
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

How's it feel to have your youtube videos be taken down due to false copyright claims?

Comments

• YouTube needs to get their shit together. I remember when trolls did this with MLP episodes.

• Shit's ridiculous. I don't particularly love Miku but fuck that shit.

Now if they were doing this to Haku or Neru I'd be really raising hell.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

It's obvious Miku's being targeted mostly due to her prime popularity, which is kind of crazy to target the most popular of a rather niche program.

• It's mainstream enough that Toyota thought they could use her to help push product. That's got to count for something.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Man, between that and the Mini-cooper commercial with Falconer in it I'm wondering if car companies are just randomly picking the weirdest bands from my mp3 player.

• You can change. You can.

YouTube needs to get their shit together. I remember when trolls did this with MLP episodes.

um, isn't MLP copyrighted, though?

• edited 2012-02-05 11:23:46
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

YouTube needs to get their shit together

It's the DMCA. They legally aren't allowed to check if the takedown notice is real before acting on it.

^Yes, but nobody besides the IP holder is actually allowed to file a takedown notice.

• But you never had any to begin with.

And filing a counter claim on anything is apparently unnecessarily costly/arduous/etc.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> It's the DMCA. They legally aren't allowed to check if the takedown notice is real before acting on it.

And this is why the DMCA sucks.  And that's without the additional legal risks and chilling effect of SOPA/PIPA.

Troll/impostor takedowns are one of the worst things about Youtube.  If you find a video you like, it's probably a good idea to grab it for good (i.e. DL it) before it's gone.

• edited 2012-02-05 15:41:31
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

As bad as that is, I've never been able to object too strongly to DMCA, as it does at least make the important first step of ensuring that the site itself isn't actually liable for content its users uploaded. It needs work, but it's not a disaster.

• No rainbow star
    It would be nice if it gave a site anywhere from 24 hours to a week* to check if the claim is false or not

*Or longer. I pulled these numbers out of my ass
  • They probably wouldn't actually do that though.  I mean, as it is, they could always check if a copyright claim is legitimate or not after taking down the video.  But they don't because it's a very large amount of work for relatively little gain.  That wouldn't change no matter if they were to do it before or after removing the video, so it's unlikely that giving a period to check would actually change anything.

> As bad as that is, I've never been able to object too strongly to DMCA, as it does at least make the important first step of ensuring that the site itself isn't actually liable for content its users uploaded. It needs work, but it's not a disaster.

You have a point.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    miku-corolla-3.jpg
  • Oh...it's a cartoon character then? Thanks.

So why are videos with this character in it being taken down?

•  Hatsune Miku is a virtual instrument (specifically, a virtual singer) that is part of the Vocaloid series of synthesized singing software.  And her videos are being taken down probably due to bogus copyright claims because some people are bored.

FYI Miku Hatsune (or Hatsune Miku if you want last-name first) is the first, and most famous, of the vocaloid voices, which are made by Yamaha.  They are meant to synthesize singing Japanese lyrics.  People have written a large number of original songs with vocaloids singing the voice parts.  (Some of these songs have since been covered by human singers.)

There are also some videos you can find of vocaloids (typically Miku since she's the most famous) singing other things, such western pop music, Bach fugues, and meme music.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

• Kichigai birthday!!

This truly is....

The Disappearance of Hatsune Miku

• Miku wasn't first. Leon and Lola were. She's just the most popular.

^^ I had a feeling you'd like that series. If only they'd make part three already.

I heard part three was up to audience interpretation or something. Not that I care. I want me some part three. 

• Well in the novels-that-my-girlfriend-has-read-much-more-thoroughly-than-myself apparently Miku was a dragon and the mask was the only thing sealing in her power, and while Len managed to make it to Rin, he also broke off Miku's mask and there's a possibility she'll turn into a badass mother and go on a big dragon rampage.

I love songs where Len is manly and badass, there are more than enough of him being the quintessential shota. Needs moar stuff like Synchronicity (with ample levels of badass) or Chivalry (possibly the only thing more badass than Synchronicity).

@Waltzy: Oh, wow, I totally didn't know that.  And by "Leon and Lola", you mean "Leon, Lola, Miriam, Meiko, Kaito, and Sweet Ann".

• No, I mean Leon and Lola. They were originally released together with no other software to contend with at the beginning of 2004. Miriam wasn't released until about halfway into 2004, Meiko wasn't released until much later in that year, and Kaito wasn't released for another couple of years (2006). And Sweet Ann wasn't released until 2007.

• edited 2012-02-06 10:59:37
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh.  Well I just named the six that came before Miku, as listed on Wikipedia.

Wait, you actually do vocaloid composing?

• The Vocaloid wiki is understandably more exact, but yes, those six were released before Miku.

Ah, no no I don't. XD

I might try my hand at Vocaloid one of these days. Not that I know any significant amount of Japanese, but it could be fun. 

• The video games are about as far as I can go. XD

>MadassAlex being into Vocaloid

I FEEL SO CLOSE TO YOU SUDDENLY *^*

D'aaw. :>

... not that I'm really "into" them, mind. I simply enjoy good music, and sometimes Vocaloid produces good music. That said, Synchronicity went a long way in warming me to Vocaloid. It's a really beautifully, gracefully told little fairy tale, and I'm an absolute sucker for narrative devices that contain music as a core element. I really, really love the concept of a song that siblings share. 

Then you could get a moment before the climax that's like "Remember that song we used to sing when we were little?". And then they sing it. And then the climax music is an instrumental, choral version of that song. 

/scribbles all this down