If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to join Something Awful now

Comments

• edited 2011-08-01 02:49:27
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I just noticed that it technically remains a three-strike system either path you take, as well (tempban --> probation --> gone).

Yeah, I'm glad we worked towards this. Thanks, everyone.

With that, I might go to bed; this is the latest I've ever stayed up outside a sleepover.
  • edited 2011-08-01 02:50:11
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    this post was pointless...
  • You can change. You can.
    Can someone edit this into the rules?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    You're welcome.  It's good that we finally got to get all this out there and try to work out a solution.

I just noticed that it technically remains a three-strike system either path you take, as well.
    I think it's a better three strike system, though.

And night, dude.
  • Juan: I'd imagine we'd have to wait for Unknown_Entity to implement the probation idea first, but, seconding this.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "this post was pointless..."

I was going to work towards responding to it, actually . . .

Though I still dislike the notion of being angry enough to spit acid saliva onto the forums not being a bannable offense.

And "probation" still needs to be more clearly defined.

But that might have worked as well.

Anyway, I'll edit the map into the rules and then call it a night, I guess.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Everybody pretty much agreed yours was the way to go, so mine really was pointless. Oh well.

I reserve the right to bash people over the head for being stupid.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    IJBM: I can't fit the map into the OP of the Rules thread, so I have to use a new post for it.
  • Well that's less than optimal.
  • edited 2011-08-01 14:59:31
    IJBM: Hi guys! I missed you, a bit. Thanks for banning Chagen.

I left both TV Tropes and IJBM, I would sign up to Something Awful, but I don't know if I'd do anything other than post in the TV Tropes thread, and I need to lay off forums in general anyway, as they're continually eating into my time I could spend doing more important things. I think on something awful, post quality is gauged by how much you put back, so TV Tropes-style "I..." posts don't really cut it.

SA: Feel free to read and reply to this if you want

I have to admit whenever I see DLC's name come up I cringe a little. (I'm Pacific in the soulbonding liveblog thread) we stayed in contact after she left TVT, and I think she's got better- she still does the whole bonding thing but she's got a lot better as a person and now takes criticism on board instead of ignoring it. I thought maybe some positive news might make that thread you are in a little less faith-in-humanity draining. Don't know.

Do you think she is actually schizophrenic? It's the obvious answer, but I admit I have no idea how it manifests.

Also, this is basically all I wanted to say, no leechin'.
  • Well this thread certainly took off.
  • Only somewhat here
    Oh wow, you guys have been busy while I was asleep.
  • I'm still not seeing where the accusations of hardcore anti-intellectualism are coming from.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    But can you see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?
  • Only somewhat here
    Is it the [reason that isn't related to the cinnamon at all because no one ever gets that fucking part right]?
  • Electric Boogaloo
    FUCK NO, YOU RETARD! It's cuz it has swirls of cinnamon in every bite!
  • Clean your room little Billy

'I'm gonna make me, some cinnamon toast.
    So I can be tropey, the rest of my life,
    With some cinnamon toast...'

Actually, where do spiced pastries come into all this?

• edited 2011-08-01 08:48:13
    Regarding what Myrmidon mentioned: In reading through the SA thread, I've noticed that there is a healthy amount of fair criticism. Much more than one would think in reading some of the comments in TVTropes proper about Something Awful.

There is also quite a bit of hasty generalization, such as taking the opinions of some forum posters and turning that into "TVTropes hates literature" or "TVTropes supports pedophilia." Some of the criticisms are leveled at issues that are endemic to internet pop culture as a whole. For example, "Wiki Groaning"
    was named after Wikipedia, and is far from a TVTropes only phenomenon. It's not hard to see why most people would focus a lot on Pop Culture media, due to it being popular by definition.

Some seem to be aware of it and just doing it to take the piss, while others take the generalizations at face value, and use that as a launch point to take it even further into demonization territory. However, I
    noticed at several points that some among the first category were willing to call out members of the second category when the latter were taking things a bit too far, so points for that.

There also seem to be a few people in the thread that come across as desperately seeking approval from their peers, which is pretty common in any internet community. Lord knows we see it plenty in the TVTropes fora.

All in all, though, it's been a pretty interesting read so far.

edit: Good lord, I forgot how annoying the formatting can be here sometimes. ~_~
  • Electric Boogaloo
    At least it's not another circlejerk.
  • edited 2011-08-01 08:43:24
    What the fractal rat said.
  • Thread hop: while I think it's good that the mods continue to refine their policy, reviewing your mod policy with people on SA might not work the optimal since forum culture is a tad different and what you need most now is a bit of trust in your own assertivity instead of relying on their advice too much.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    That's about what we did.

It was more like, they gave us a good kick up the arse and told us to stop being lazy mods.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    After review, their advice is better than anything TV Tropes proper has pumped out.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    When Chagen left, he said this was my fault. So I guess this is all my fault too...?
    Huh?
  • Clean your room little Billy

To add on to what Meeble posted, a big part of the problem is, thanks to the security issues and poor vigilance, anyone can waltz in and treat the site like their very own confessional booth and self-validation device. My heuristic is, the further a page drifts away from listing tropes, the more questionable the content is going to be.

Hammer Backspace posted:

If so, then all they need to do is cut Troper Tales entirely, ban every single pedophile and incest advocate, nuke Fetish Fuel from orbit, give Fast Eddie an epiphany that makes him hire some actually effective moderators, and revamp their site so that it's actually about trends in media and literary analysis rather than specious bra size bullshit, and they may have a decent site on their hands!

I don't know about the rest, but Fetish Fuel got split off into it's own site a while back.

• Electric Boogaloo

but Fetish Fuel got split off into it's own site a while back.

Doesn't it go by "J-List", now?
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    lol Threadhop

I would make an account there so I could post in the CAD mock thread,but I'm cheap and lazy so I won't
  • edited 2011-08-01 09:05:03
    ^^^ I believe that a lot of the problems with TVTropes have arisen due to early bad behaviors that caught on amongst other editors that saw those behaviors and thought it was standard practice.

For example, the use of the term "This Troper."  As far as I am aware, the administration has never approved of the term being used in the wiki, and the majority of people on the fora can't stand it. However, as a brand new editor you wouldn't know this unless you happened across the page that mentions it's bad wiki writing, or saw discussions about it in the forum community... which I believe something around 90% of editors never even visit the fora.

Things like that and a myriad of other issues do have people trying to fix them, but the process is slow going. Trying to bring about cultural shifts when a large majority of the editors rarely ever communicate with each other is a challenge.
  • I think part of the problem is that, in his head, Eddie still thinks he's dealing with the people who got annoyed at what happened to the Sonichu page. He still thinks he's dealing with the dregs of the internet who are upset at not being allowed to turn the wiki into ED-lite.