If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How religion seems to work involving the afterlife

2»

Comments

• You do realize you're complaining about one of the easiest getting into heaven requirements ever, right?
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    I am?
  • edited 2011-08-09 13:47:57
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ Yeah, if you legitimately believe.

Not everyone does, you know.
    Of course not everyone believes. I just didn't realize that I was complaining.
  • I meant that to be aimed at the thread.
    *facepalm* Odin damn it, I'm so self-centered today.
  • edited 2011-08-09 13:50:18
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^You say that it's easy, because you already believe. 

Not everyone believes the same thing you do, and not everyone is going to change their core beliefs because they heard they might not go to heaven if they don't believe the exact right thing.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    ^

Nope. the requirement is don't be a dick. God doesn't give a shit if you know he exists or not.
  • edited 2011-08-09 13:53:46

Well, then the person who doesn't believe in Christianity doesn't believe they're going to hell so why does it matter?

Pretty sure you aren't serious.
    Pretty sure I am, Radd. Pretty sure I am.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I like to think that if God did exist, he wouldn't be that much of a petty bitch.
  • edited 2011-08-09 14:05:26
    ^^ Derp.

^ How would you feel if you gave the simplest command to people in order to save their own lives, and they immediately ignored it?
    ...what are you even going on about Radd?
  • edited 2011-08-09 14:05:34
    That's not exactly what's going on here.

If God literally showed up and said "believe in me," yeah, I might.  But all I have to go on is a two thousand year old book and what some people say.  I have no reason to believe that God ever gave such a command, or that he exists at all.

Changing your core beliefs isn't such a simple thing as you say.

Especially for an omnipotent, omniscient being, "I don't care how you act, just pay attention to me" is way more petty than "it doesn't matter if you believe or not, so long as you are a good person."
  • edited 2011-08-09 14:09:51
    ^^You posting 

Nope. the requirement is don't be a dick. God doesn't give a shit if you know he exists or not. 

as though you just know. Mostly, it's because I thought all Christians were salvation by faith.

^ He wants you to have faith. There's no faith involved in that process.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Why is faith more important to him than being a decent human being?  Why would he rather have a serial killer who repents on his deathbed than someone who doesn't believe, but works for the betterment of mankind?
    You are still being non-standing and ambiguous so I'll dismiss whatever you have to say until you can actually explain what you believe or what your stance is. Otherwise it just sounds like you going "lolnope".
    Multi-dimensional beings are funny that way. Sometimes they don't care about us and sometimes they want to be our daddy. Then there is the ones that need our belief as a means to continue existance and they don't care where it comes from as long as someone believes.
  • @Forzare

Because we're all sinful in his eyes.
    And it's offensive to me that someone who might have done nothing but evil in their lives would be seen as better than a dilligent humanitarian who never hurt a single person in their life just because the former said his prayers every night.
    In other Forzare it's a recruitment story used to persuade others into joining the religion. You use it to make non-believers feel unsettled and question their beliefs if they are close to death, and give believers a feeling of urgency to try and spread the word.
    ^ Pretty much.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    -is watching the thread very closely-

Bear in mind, if this gets out of hand to the extent religion debates have in the past, the mods aren't going to be very happy.
    Fargle and any other overvolatile people aren't here to stir up shit though, it's just me, and I know how to at least understand other viewpoints, and when to stop.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, I know. But we've lost at least 3 users to this sort of thread that I know of, so I tend to worry about them.
  • edited 2011-08-09 14:22:30
    All I've said so far is that I find that viewpoint offensive.  I have nothing against religion in general, or the idea of hell.  If God turns out to exist, and I end up going to hell because I was a bad person in life, I can understand that.  The retribution might be a bit disproportionate, but at least I'd have earned it to an extent.  To send someone to hell for having the wrong faith just rubs me way the wrong way.
  • Inside, too dark to read
    You can look at it this way:

Humans Are Bastards
    Christians Are Also Bastards, Except Saints
    Anyone who's as virtuous as a saint but not a Christian will get to Heaven (this was the thing Dante most wanted to be assured of in the Paradiso)
    Any of the rest of us bastards who gets to Heaven is a totally gratuitous act of grace on God's part
  • Thank You Counterclock. Now I have to make a poster like that or find one.