If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Is Birdo a boy or a girl or both or neither?

edited 2011-08-14 14:34:48 in Media
When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
Seriously, what the Hell?

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yes.
  • It's Beardo.

Just FYI.
  • It's in a civil union with Poison from Final Fight.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
  • A tranny, as was implied in the Captain Rainbow(not sure if correct title) game.
  • I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    Birdo's a boy.
  • The story I heard is that she was a female originally, but the American instruction manual decided to make Birdo a transvestite, for whatever reason.

Then again, I've also heard that she was a transvestite in both countries, so whatever.
    Wait, it's the other way around?

I thought Birdo's a boy in Japan, but the American import made him into a girl.
  • Inside, too dark to read
    The English manual for SMB2 clearly says Birdo "wants to be a girl called Birdetta."
  • "Birdo thinks he is a girl and likes to be called Birdetta. He likes to wear a bow on his head and shoot eggs from his mouth."

This statement applies to all translations of the title, including the Japanese version. In Japan, Catherine is male as well, and likes to believe that he is female. Like Birdo, he likes to be calledCathy as opposed to his real name, Catherine. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Birdo's trophy description describes the character as "gender indeterminate," and uses the pronoun "it" rather than gender-specific pronouns such as "he" or "she". However, several other sources (see below) refer to her as a girl.

Why do game ports randomly change names around like that? I don't see any reason why Catherine should be changed to Birdo.
  • Because Catherine sounds like a cool name to Japanese people, but it just seems oddly mundane to English speakers. Same reason "Tina" got changed to "Terra" in the localization of FFVI.
    ^ Catherine is mundane to Americans, and much more odd and unique to the Japanese, is what you're saying?
  • Yes, why?

Does this have something to do with the game?
    ... no...