If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Not enough old-school gamers on this forum

Comments

• ... >_>

I completed Ecco the Dolphin in one sitting when I was 16... and really bored... in South Africa.... with my just-turned-ex-girlfriend watching nearby. 

• Oh hey I was right about Adventure Island.  Only I edited out my post because I thought I was wrong since GMH said (NES/GB) and it was released for more than just those platforms.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    1. A game with a manual with one of the weirdest translations ever, the first occurance of rank in a game, almost-completely random enemy patterns based on said rank, and a large variety of weapons.

Before I read the hints, I thought it was Zanac.

I feel like I should know number two but nothing's clicking.

3. This SNES game is a sequel to a NES game. This game uses a streamlined version of the original NES game's isometric engine. This game is mainly puzzle-oriented, and each room, even against boss battles, resets when you get hit. The plot is mainly you rescuing the character from the previous game. It also has an advertisement screen in the game itself.

This one was easy. Equinox, aka Solstice II.

Oh hey I was right about Adventure Island. Only I edited out my post because I thought I was wrong since GMH said (NES/GB) and it was released for more than just those platforms.

Likely GMH just didn't know about the TurboGrafx games, nor likely did he know that the series actually started out as a palette swap Divorced Installment of the Wonder Boy series.
  • edited 2011-09-29 18:30:10
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I did know that last bit of trivia, actually.  The first game has significantly different music for a reason.
  • edited 2011-09-29 18:36:18
    They call me Rate Miser, whatever I see... turns overrated in my eyes...
    ^^ Actually, you're right about Zanac.
    ... I don't recall Zanac having fairies, but then I never played it that in-depth.
  • Poot dispenser here
    Anyone remember Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Descent II and Stargunner?
  • No rainbow star
    I remember a genesis game where you could control either a hunter or a raptor
    @Rocketdude - I was actually playing a shareware version of Raptor just yesterday! It's surprisingly good, for a non-Japanese shmup, on the PC of all things. GOG.com actually released a tenth anniversary version of it.

The other two I've heard of but not played.

@Icalasari - That would be either of the two Jurassic Park games.
  • edited 2011-09-30 00:44:41
    ^^ Jurassic Park

Hell yeah, I finally got one!

Edit: And then I got ninja'ed.
  • Poot dispenser here
    @MoeDantes: Speaking of which, DotEmu also has Raptor 2010, which offers a somewhat remastered soundtrack and new graphics and Windows Vista/7.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

Almost considered getting it, but I have a metric ton of shmups on my plate as it is.
    Oh, and today I picked up a Power Base Converter. So now I can play Master System games.

So, now I officially own:

an NES

an SNES

two different models of Sega Genesis, one of which has the CD attached and the other is compatible with a device that allows the playing of Sega Master System games.

a Turbo Duo, and I might be getting a second one soon.

a modded PS1

both a modded and an unmodded PS2

a Nintendo 64

a GBA SP

a PSP

and a Windows 98 PC that's so far proven entirely capable of playing any game I throw at it that was made before the original Half-Life (that there is pretty much the most modern game it can run).

I am officially the biggest old-school gamer on this forum.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Ah, the Master System. It didn't have that many decent games, no thanks to Nintendo keeping third parties on a tight leash, but there are some gems. Like my three first games, Sonic the Hedgehog, which wasn't just a port of the Mega Drive game but had it's own... let's say "feeling", Land of Illusion and Asterix, which were both notable for being licensed games that didn't suck.

It was a sad day when my Master System broke down...
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^ I need to beat you.

I need to start emulating and playing MSX games.
  • Uh, anyone remember that game with the mascot from the moon who was eventually replaced by another character and forgotten?
    BecNoir, can you give us more details about the game? Like what time frame it was released in, or possibly what system it was on?

Glenn, you know what would *really* beat me? If you got an actual MSX. Computer systems are one platform I pretty much actively avoid due to space concerns (but the MSX had so many great RPGs and visual novels...)
  • edited 2011-10-01 20:31:03
    Mexican fag
    It was on the GB. It was released around 1996. It was an RPG
    ... this isn't a trick question and the answer is actually Pokemon, is it?
  • edited 2011-10-01 22:16:03
    No rainbow star
    That HAS to be Pokemon. There is no other answer D:

Oh, and thanks MoeDantes! Now I can emulate that game and relive fond memories of tearing enemies apart as a raptor :D
  • a little muffled
    Yeah, it's Pokémon. Clefairy is from the moon and was the original mascot for the series before they decided to go with Pikachu.
  • I thought I could fool you. >:(

Also, someone should sing of the unsung legend that is Clefairy. Nowadays it's seen as a mere Chansey lookalike
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I always preferred Clefairy. It was one of the first mons to come with some worldbuilding, which didn't really become the norm with non-legendaries until Gen V.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    The manga where they discovered Clefairies was my first exposure to pokemon.
  • Video Games are toys for children who never grew up. 

Though by referencing only old games, it's evident that to some extent, you have. Just not enough.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    -_-
  • Is there a problem?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
  • Well in honesty, I was planning on trolling, if just for a little bit. But there seems to be very little activity around here. I suppose I should just go somewhere else.

Any suggestions?

• I've played Baldur's Gate...

...Am I oldschool?