If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The October snowstorm last night (in the northeastern U.S.)

edited 2011-10-31 10:55:32 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Recorded non-trace (i.e. accumulating) snowfall in the Hartford, Connecticut area (i.e. central CT):
October 30, 1925: 0.1 inches
October 19, 1972: 0.4 inches
October 10, 1979: 1.7 inches
October 29-30, 2011: about 12 inches

Yesterday afternoon's and last night's winter storm has left so far about 800,000 people (and counting) without electricity in the state of Connecticut.  The irony is that the outage map is almost inverted compared to the map from Irene: the northwestern half of the state got hit hardest, as opposed to southeastern half of the state.  We here got really, really lucky, as I live in the northernmost purple town.  We got 76% power outage, even worse than with Irene.  And we were lucky compared to neighboring towns, which all got over 90% (and many 100%) power outage.  We're surrounded by a sea of black on that map.  (I know black is 81 to 100% but if you mouse over the towns you can see the percentages.)  And our house still has electricity.  And internet.  And I'm still able to use my cell phone.  I feel really damn lucky now.  Especially since we didn't even prepare for this.

One big issue is that it's...basically still fall.  Most of the leaves haven't fallen off trees yet.  Pile on a foot of snow, and you have bent, downed, and totally snapped branches, and even whole limbs and whole trees, all over the freaking place.  This is contributing a damn lot to all the outages--and now you even get secondary outages as the snow melts (it's in the 40s here and the snow is rapidly melting, though there's still a lot of accumulation, about 7 or 8 inches left) because tree limbs are rebounding back up and hitting more power lines.

Anyone wanna bet whether we'll have a White Halloween?

P.S.: This time, Forzare might be okay, but Evergreen might not.  I wonder how both of them are doing, in any case.  As well as Hatter.

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    According to Google+, Forzare's okay but his power is out. In this kind of weather, the latter is very worrisome.
  • High Temperatures in Denver, CO:

* Monday, October 24: 80 degrees F.

* Wednesday, October 26: 32 degrees F.

My parents' trees lost half their branches, and a similar storm is expected next week.  Unless the trees loose their leaves soon, there won't be any left.

I used to like snow.

• Damn.

All we got was RIDICULOUS wind.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'm still not expecting snow down here for another couple of months, at least. That's Georgia for you.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    (punches INUH for not having bullshit weather)

Fortunately most of the stuff is melting now, but we're expecting more snow tonight.

Fuck the mountains.
  • Hnngh you're so lucky, I want some snow too~!

Not the people losing power/are seriously being inconvenienced, I'm not calling you lucky. XD

I just love snow so much, and preschools are always the first to close when even a little falls. :>
  • No rainbow star
    ...Thank you for taking our snow! :D
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I have bullshit weather. It just comes during summer instead of winter.
    You don't have it now! D=<
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Malkavian, where are you located?
    Catskills.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "I just love snow so much, and preschools are always the first to close when even a little falls. :>"

But I thought you liked working there. :P
  • There has been talk here that we might have the third hard winter in a row, but so far it's been a mild autumn.

Needless to say, our definition of a hard winter is set a lot lower than that parts of the US. If you got 12 inches of snow in Southern England, even in the depths of winter, you would never hear the end of it - it would be treated like the Apocalypse. The Scots are a bit more used to heavy snow, I think.

Good luck to everyone affected! 

• ^^ Oh yes, but snow days are always cool (haha so punny) and I get warm fuzzies thinking of the kids all bundled up in coats twice their size and playing with the snow~. <3
    Little kids playing in the snow = cutest thing ever.

@Malkavian: Ah.  Unfortunately the first thing I think of when I think of the Catskills is to ask you whether you prefer Scott Murphy or Chris Gibson.
  • Jeez, we've been getting crazy weather these past few years and it doesn't seem to be easing up.

I'm starting to get a little uneasy about where this climate change thing is going to go.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^
    Yeah I know I mean this October was almost as warm as summer for a week.
    /seriousukclimatechange
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Fuck you October snow.

Yeah, my power is out, and it might stay that way for a while.

This is worse than Irene >:l

We won't freeze to death, though, since we do have a propane heater we can use.
    Evergreen just responded to the real estate thread so it seems he's okay.
  • I'm doing just fine. Y'know why? Because I'm in eastern Massachusetts. Not central. Not western. The greater Boston area. It barely snowed here, and I don't think anyone lost power.

It's extremely surreal hearing about all the devastation back home. My parents were here with me for parents' weekend. Had they been home, they would have been briefly trapped in the neighborhood because some tree fell across the entrance, though it was removed by the time they actually got back home. As it is, two smallish flowering trees have either fallen or were seriously damaged at home, which is a shame because they're really pretty in the spring.

Look, Glenn, let me clarify, I am only home in CT at certain times, notably (from this point on) around Thanksgiving and from a certain point in December to a certain point in January. And also briefly in March. And maybe a bit in April too? But the point is, CT stuff doesn't apply to me when I'm at college. I'm a junior. I am at home in the summer, but Boston is my reality for the next few years. So don't worry about me. The only reason I wasn't posting here is because the hotel turned out to not have internet access. (The goddamn Four Seasons doesn't have free wi-fi! Seriously!)
    Oh, I forgot that you were in college in Boston.

Sorry about that.
    The snow on the ground hasn't completely melted.

We're gonna have a white Halloween.  With sub-freezing temperatures by nighttime.
  • edited 2011-10-30 23:15:50
    I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    The power in my house was down, so I finished reading House of Leaves in the dark with candles and a guitar I just barely know how to play. (My piano runs on electric power and people who have finished House of Leaves should get it.)

(I like the house gimmick, leave me alone.)

My grandma still has power though, so I'm here.
    It's flurrying a little here. >_<
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    It's been unusually cold over here in Chicago. I hope I don't get any snow.
  • ....Literally nothing has happened here except for that windy night.
  • No offense, but this thread is tailor-made for people from the northeastern U.S. People from anywhere else should not be surprised that they got no snowstorm. This specific storm has of course moved on and will not affect anyone else...
  • edited 2011-10-31 10:55:47
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Yeah, I'm quite aware nothing happened in many other parts of the U.S..  Have a friend in Oklahoma who says she only got cold temperatures and otherwise noneventful weather.

I fixed the thread title to reflect this.
    So, probably for compensation for having incredible luck with Irene and Alfred, we had a power outage all of yesterday.  It definitely made me think about all those people who were less fortunate than me.

On one hand, I started sorting out things that run continuously (such as fridge and hazard detectors), things that run on-demand regularly (such as climate control, modem, and stove), and things that are "discretionary" (such as computer, lights depending mainly on choice of bedtime, and TV).

But most importantly, I got a taste of the uncertainty--the uncertainty of not knowing when your electricity comes back on, and thus having to plan one's activities around this uncertainty.  I made calls to the power company, to the town's library, and to the nearest Barnes & Nobles.  And to top that all off, my cell phone was low on battery so I had to keep it off most of the day.
  • Let me just say, having a natural-gas-powered automatic standby generator is a wonderful thing. Not many can afford it (well, maybe that's a bit of an overstatement) but if you can it's amazing. Especially if like us you have a well+septic water and waste system instead of being hooked up to town systems, because then no power=no water. Ours runs everything except for the central air conditioning (which uses a massive amount of energy at startup, not as much while running) and...er, either the washer and dryer or the dishwasher, forget which. And some random outlets. For some reason, the internet and phone service is out back home, but otherwise my parents still have many other resources at their disposal.

I looked at some pictures from Simsbury. And until I saw them I hadn't understood just how devastating and utterly surreal this was. It was so much milder in Boston. But back home, it was like a typical winter storm, but with so many more fallen trees. Really weird.