If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Fandom Eternal Septembers

edited 2011-11-02 19:34:42 in Media
Kamen Rider MADOKA
Has anybody else felt their fandom gradually enlarged by newbies?

For the record, I haven't, but I've seen this thing with MSPA fans who complain about the not-insignificant portion of the fanbase who got in at Act 5, or those Gundam fans who complain about those who got in with the Alternate Universes such as W or SEED.

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Not really, but it's kind of annoying to hear other people complain about it most of the time.
  • I kind of just stopped following the MSPA fandom since the threads get so bloated.

I guess the same is true for MLP, but they have a central blog and funnier and more frequent fan memes.
  • tvtropes had an Eternal September after #yf sucked all the cool people out of the fora and Fast Eddie went nuts.
  • edited 2011-11-03 01:00:44
    smote

I wasn't gonna say it, but that was my first thought too. (Well, more or less. I don't think everyone cool left, but there's a reason I post almost exclusively in two threads now.)

• Kamen Rider MADOKA
    There's a reason I'm only editing toku pages now. ;)
  • That reason would be "overriding obsession", I assume.
  • You can change. You can.
    hehehehe, riding.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I was a Doctor Who fan before the new series.

Of course, the point of the new series is to be accessible to newbies so bitching about that would be dumb.
    You can always bitch about the newbies themselves. :p

but then again, you'd be bitching about me, and that's a personal attack, which falls on the "lol no" side of the rules.
  • What exactly does Eternal September mean and where does the term come from?
    Eternal September refers to an influx of newbies reducing a group, forum, fandom, etc's level of discourse.

The terms comes from usenet having an influx of new users (University Freshmen) in September who, like every other person who starts using  a forum is not quite familiar with forum etiquette and so on.

the More You Know.
  • Ah, thanks. That's what I figured it was. And being a college student, it is of course especially familiar.

I am seeing it on the TVT forum, but otherwise, it's lead me to realize that I really don't have fandoms.
  • a little muffled
    Actually, the term "eternal September" refers to time period beginning when AOL gave its users the ability to access Usenet groups, which were previously more or less exclusively used by university students, thus meaning it was like it was always September.

So in this context it'd be when a fandom suddenly jumps in size and becomes crappy as a result.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    So in this context it'd be when a fandom suddenly jumps in size and becomes crappy as a result.

Like TVT? :B