If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Too Long Didn't Dub/Sub

edited 2011-11-03 09:22:02 in Media
Kamen Rider MADOKA
How dare those kisama yatsus not subtitle the words of Glorious Nihon well. Those baka gaijin better learn to make their kuso translations better.

;)

Comments

• edited 2011-11-03 09:39:42
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Oh please, REAL otakus don't need anything tainted by inferior gaijin languages. :P
  • You can change. You can.
    >Implying real otakus understand Japanese enough to not want subs.

It's a kind of lovehate relationship. A la Tsundere.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Pareto Principle time: 80% of otaku only understand 20% of the words.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    According to Tibetan Fox, most people of this type can actually understand Japanese fairly well, but are just too lazy to do their own subs.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    It's classic otaku insularity  - "we can't let those dirty gaijin enjoy something we enjoy, so we're going to keep as much untranslated as possible!"
  • And then they wonder why anime gets relatively little mainstream respect.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    It's a good thing some sub groups make their subs more accessible - by way of Woolseyism, sure, but hey.
  • "by way of Woolseyism, sure, but hey."

It's called localization for a reason after all, least of which being that people tend to look down on you if you talk in technically correct, but awkward-sounding sentences to native speakers of the language.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I don't know about you, but I got a kick out of Over-time referencing Silver Surfer in the first episode.

Also, without localization Phoenix Wright would make no sense to us.

Of course, I think the Persona games would lose something from wholehearted attempts at localization so I think it's a case-by-case basis.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    least of which being that people tend to look down on you if you talk in
    technically correct, but awkward-sounding sentences to native speakers
    of the language

My Hovercraft is full of Eels.

Also, see this.
  • It's classic otaku insularity  - "we can't let those dirty gaijin enjoy
    something we enjoy, so we're going to keep as much untranslated as
    possible!"

Do people actually do this? Like, real people?
  • You can change. You can.
    Apart from the occasional troll on 4Chan, I've barely seen that attitude.