If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Peruse"

edited 2011-11-28 22:43:09 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Speaking of ignorance as a factor in linguistic evolution in the Gratuitous Japanese thread...

"peruse"

This word can mean to skim text quickly and in little detail.  It can also mean to read text carefully and in great detail.

It used to mean just the second definition.  Then people started misusing it to mean the exact opposite.  Thanks a bunch, wankers, now no one can use it because no one knows what it means.

Comments

• edited 2011-11-28 22:52:21
    Pony Sleuth
    I think the usage of "literally" in figurative contexts is much worse. Especially since "literally" doesn't have any proper synonyms for the original meaning that I know of, whereas colloquial "seriously" already has a ton.

Wait, does that word only refer to text? I thought it meant something along the lines of "to browse".
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I guess it can refer to things other than text, though that's the least of its problems.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I could care less about these.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^ Oi.
  • edited 2011-11-29 06:38:32
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I never would of thought anyone would call me out on that.
    Stoppit. >:|
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Haha ok.

But those ones I did irritate me especially the 'could care less'.
    I'm very guilty of using "should" rather than "ought", myself.
  • Adding to the confusion, I thought this thread might be about "per use".

As for "peruse", both the old and new definitions of "peruse" mean "to read".  As our society becomes increasingly information overloaded, the new definition becomes increasingly relevant.  So I assume if someone uses the term, they meant "quickly and in little detail" until they give me reason to believe otherwise.  If I am mistaken, I have only misunderstood the extent.

On should vs ought, this may be useful.  I get these mixed up as well.  A big part of the problem is that the english language is a living, changing language, and the forces of using language in an illogical manner for the sake of convention are often stronger than those enforcing logic.