If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

That Sinatra/Crosby/Broadway/swing style of Christmas music

edited 2011-12-04 17:21:08 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
This irks me.

Jingle Bell Rock is an example.  Most renditions of Walking in a Winter Wonderland are too.

And chances are if you're in a mall or store, especially an upscale one, you get to hear this kind of music playing everywhere.  It's like they think this sort of slow swing style is somehow stylish or sophisticated or cosmopolitan.

Seriously, I'd much rather hear Christianity-themed Christmas tunes like The First Noël, Away in a Manger, Silent Night, Joy to the World, and others.  Oh, and Jingle Bells; that's a nice classic.  And others like Alfie the Elf.

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    The Borders I used to go to would play Trans-siberian Orchestra and the Twisted Sister Christmas album.

I miss it.
  • You can change. You can.
    Meh, I like it. Admittedly, because it's not as ubiquitous here as it is there.

Also, trust me when I say that carols can get annoying after a while. Specially when they're always sung by five year olds in unison.
  • edited 2011-12-04 17:30:45
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I dunno; I dislike carols as well as swing when it comes to Christmas music. Makes me glad I don't listen to the radio, and that my parents don't listen to music stations that often (my stepdad listens to some conservative talk show host or other, though, and it's pretty unfortunate (come to think of it, both my parents have pretty objectionable political views, but I suppose that's for another day)).
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    This is all I will hear in my house for the next three weeks.

argh
  • This is a weird topic to be able to guess the OP of, but I guess it happened.
  • I prefer the swing stuff myself. But this probably figures in to me being one of those types who actively enjoys trolling "war on christmas types" by doing my part to make a war on religious christmas. Either that or I just like swing style music and despise carols and gospel.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    There is very little Christmas music I actually like anymore.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    >despise carols

Okay.

>despise gospel

Not okay.

So say I, he who has perfect taste in music.

-hides Killswitch Engage CDs-
    This is a weird topic to be able to guess the OP of, but I guess it happened.

It helps that he also made a thread today where he said that he didn't like Bing Crosby

I was gonna make a "WHO'S THIS DOUCHEBAG" joke, but eh.
  • @Everest: on a purely musical bent I dont mind them. But lyrics are a big part of music for me. so gospel runs into the same issue I have with modern country music. A lot of it is only accessible or pleasant if you're religious.
    Or if you don't understand them. :D
  • edited 2011-12-04 18:21:43
    @Midgetsnowman: Same; I'm not religious either. But I'm used to shitty lyrics, since most of what I listen to is metal, so I don't mind as much if I don't enjoy them.

All I know is that I adore this song, and it's very much gospel. Then again, the anime it's from has rather prominent Christian symbolism, so . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO28pvdkyJI

How do embed YouTube
  • I mostly listen to broadway musicals, big band, jazz, or japanese music..so lyrics tend to be a bit more intelligible unless I'm listening to j-pop or j-rock >.>

• edited 2011-12-04 18:29:27
    You can change. You can.

Come on, Everest, you should know how to embed.
  • edited 2011-12-04 18:32:57

Ah. It came pre-hyperlinked, even though I just copy-pasted from the URL bar. Dammit, YouTube, quit being dumb!
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I don't care much for lyrics, and mostly listen to the music.  I am okay with gospel and country.

In fact, I probably am less annoyed by either gospel or country than I am by swing.  I just don't like swing for some reason.
  • I like Sinatra styled stuff. :<
  • I love swing. I cant stand gospel  and country, Though its less to do with the music itself and more to do with the lyrics ruining everything else3 for me. Maybe that makes me an awful person, but when I hear songs like the one wanting shoes for his dead or whatnot for christmas, i want to strangle a country singer.